Express Bus (BxM4B?) extension to Yonkers discussed

GreatOne2k

http://yonkerstribune.typepad.com/yonkers_tribune/2010/04/astorino-delivers-first-state-of-the-county-address.html

Astorino also unveiled a proposal that he is working on with MTA Chairman and President Jay Walder to have New York City extend one of its Manhattan express routes to include stops in Yonkers as a way of largely replicating Westchester’s BxM4C express route to Manhattan, which because of budget cuts is facing elimination. Connections to bus stops in Greenburgh would also be part of the plan.

BxM4B (soon to be BxM4) would join the BxM3 in running to Yonkers if the 4B replaces the 4C.

It would be better if MTA keeps the BxM4A and extend that to Yonkers following the BxM4B, but continues with the W20 and W21 going to Yonkers instead of turning off with the BxM4B at E 233 St. Some 4B trips can also go to Westchester County if needed (via McLean Avenue into Central [Park] Avenue)

Unlike his fellow freshman GOP Governor in NJ, at least it seems that this new Westchester County Boss Astorino while sadly having to cut funding at all agencies county wise because of the fiscal meltdown in Albany, at least while calling for canning the 4c(which i disagree slightly please read my comments below)is at least offering extending the BXM4 to the Yonkers area as a semi replacement.

or Cross County

Agreed Patco. If I was working with both Westchester Bee Line and the (MTA)

1)BXM4c operates weekdays only. There is enough ridership to run this all day weekdays. I do agree with Yuki that (MTA) bus should take over running this line. full 7 day aka Weekend 4c service in the Central Ave coordior of Yonkers replaced by the new extended BXM4.

The BXM4c is renamed the BXM12.

2) The BXM4 Woodlawn(Kantonah Ave) Branch new northern terminal is Cross County Mall 7 days a week w/ 'short trips' still starting in AM Rush at 233rd and Kantonah. . *North of Cross County use the #20 which should create Saturday 'limited stop service' as well imo as parial replacement to the 4c.

On weekends and late evenings '4c' ridership as B35 via Church would say 'tanks' *north* of Tuchhaoe Rd. with often only 1-2 riders that either board or get off north of Tuchaoe on most 4c trips on weekends especially.

Most riders in the Scarsdale and Hartsdale section of the Central Ave coordior weekends are either taking Metro North or driving to get to/from

'the city.'

2a)The new BXM4 operates via Central Ave, to serve(Raceway/Empire City)McClean, Kantonah then regular route to/from Midtown.

(B35 i think is right about the problems of traffic on the Degan and Harlem River Drive)via Concourse to "speed' service.

3)BXM4b renamed the BXM5 aka Bedford Park branch is reduced to rush hour only. BXM3 is alternative nearby.

Reactions:eek:?

Greenburgh?

if that comes to fruition, those buses are gonna spend quite some time on the 87 [NYS Thruway]...

iono, I guess the talks would be one of, having it make a couple stops along central park av (Yonkers)... on up to (adjacent the) cross county mall (which could be used as a commuter parking lot... lol)... then back up 87, to ardsley, making stops along saw mill river rd and along dobbs ferry rd...

this would resemble a suburban-type express route (like those of NJT's)... although I don't see Greenburgh/Ardsley residents taking such a route, over the Metro-North....

an extension of the 4b...

My question is... What about riders in Woodlawn, if part of the talks are to serve a stop in Greenburgh?

Greenburgh?

if that comes to fruition, those buses are gonna spend quite some time on the 87 [NYS Thruway]...

iono, I guess the talks would be one of, having it make a couple stops along central park av (Yonkers)... on up to (adjacent the) cross county mall (which could be used as a commuter parking lot... lol)... then back up 87, to ardsley, making stops along saw mill river rd and along dobbs ferry rd...

this would resemble a suburban-type express route (like those of NJT's)... although I don't see Greenburgh/Ardsley residents taking such a route, over the Metro-North....

an extension of the 4b...

My question is... What about riders in Woodlawn, if part of the talks are to serve a stop in Greenburgh?

1. Either extend the 4B up McLean Avenue to Central Park Avenue

or

2. Keep the 4A (still eliminate its current branch off) and send it with the 4B until 233rd St, where 4A would continue to Yonkers and beyond replacing the 4C

3. Same as #2 except have 4A make 4C stops, plus a stop at Woodlawn, then go express to Manhattan. Some 4B riders can use the Bx34 to Bainbridge & Jerome and transfer to the 4A super express to Manhattan.

1. Either extend the 4B up McLean Avenue to Central Park Avenue

or

2. Keep the 4A (still eliminate its current branch off) and send it with the 4B until 233rd St, where 4A would continue to Yonkers and beyond replacing the 4C

3. Same as #2 except have 4A make 4C stops, plus a stop at Woodlawn, then go express to Manhattan. Some 4B riders can use the Bx34 to Bainbridge & Jerome and transfer to the 4A super express to Manhattan.

Then would not Grand Concourse which like Queens Blvd has tons of senior and disabled riders living in those apartments be furious about losing express service?:confused:

Then would not Grand Concourse which like Queens Blvd has tons of senior and disabled riders living in those apartments be furious about losing express service?:confused:

The 4A can be a super express during rush hours, with extra 4B service running (depending upon demand). Off Peak the 4A from Greenburgh and 4B from Woodlawn Heights would make all stops

The 4A can be a super express during rush hours, with extra 4B service running (depending upon demand). Off Peak the 4A from Greenburgh and 4B from Woodlawn Heights would make all stops

I disagree with the Westchester County boss proposal to run any bus to/from Greenburgh. Maybe someone can confirm but where there not a BXM4c branch that served Westchester County Center in Vahalla and was cancelled about 20 years ago due to low ridership? B35 is right that if this plan goes through within 2-3 years from now, they be calls to scrap this way too long of the 4c extension. Also riders in Greenburgh and nearby Scarsdale or Ardsley are still going to take the Metro North train.

My proposal makes more sense and serves the only areas of the County that will actually use Manhattan Express buses and still serve the North Bronx areas of the existing BXM4 as well.

I disagree with the Westchester County boss proposal to run any bus to/from Greenburgh. Maybe someone can confirm but where there not a BXM4c branch that served Westchester County Center in Vahalla and was cancelled about 20 years ago due to low ridership? B35 is right that if this plan goes through within 2-3 years from now, they be calls to scrap this way too long of the 4c extension. Also riders in Greenburgh and nearby Scarsdale or Ardsley are still going to take the Metro North train.

The ridership area for any Manhattan express bus to/from Lower and Central Westchester ie (White Plains/Greenburgh areas)is at or near Central Avenue.

My proposal makes more sense and serves the only areas of the County that will actually use Manhattan Express buses and still serve the North Bronx areas of the existing BXM4 as well.

The ridership area for any Manhattan express bus to/from Lower and Central Westchester ie (White Plains/Greenburgh areas)is at or near Central Avenue.

Read lohud.com, there are people that want to save the 4C, keeping the 4A and sending it to Westchester makes sense (since the current 4A will be eliminated, especially the Sedgwick Avenue branch near the BxM3)

whoops... meant to hit the quote button.... so you got a free rep point...

Anyway, that's a poor comparison...

Majority of senior riders on the 4b are b/w Woodlawn and the Mosholu pkwy area.... Queens blvd itself don't have tons of any express bus riders b/c buses are coasting along Queens Blvd to/from Manhattan....

I don't see GC riders getting furious over the removal of the 4a, or the extension of the 4b... they're too busy embarking on Bx1's & 2's and/or (B)'s & (D)'s to even think twice about it...

whoops... meant to hit the quote button.... so you got a free rep point...

Anyway, that's a poor comparison...

Majority of senior riders on the 4b are b/w Woodlawn and the Mosholu pkwy area.... Queens blvd itself don't have tons of any express bus riders b/c buses are coasting along Queens Blvd to/from Manhattan....

I don't see GC riders getting furious over the removal of the 4a, or the extension of the 4b... they're too busy embarking on Bx1's & 2's and/or (B)'s & (D)'s to even think twice about it...

Thanks for correction. I admit i dont ride the BXM4a/b often when I am in Bronx express bus I usually ride the BXM3 from Midtown either going home to hudson valley and transfer at Yonkers to the "Poughkeepsie bound train' or when railfan occasionaly on weekends to take the BXM3 to 42nd/Bryant Park area and transfer to the X28 to Coney Island area to see old friends.

When in Concourse area sometimes i do use the BX1/2 much more than the BXM4 branches. It's true that there alot of seniors that live along the Concourse especially from Tremont-Moshulu Pwy.

And i agree B35, as long as some sort of Express Bus BXM4 service to/from Manhattan serves at least the upper portion of GC, mainly between Fordham RD and Moshulu Pwy., i don't too many people will miss it. It also helps now that the Yankee Stadium/161 (4)(D) and (:P lines station and i think also Tremont Ave (:P(D) stations are now also ADA accessible as well.

I disagree with the Westchester County boss proposal to run any bus to/from Greenburgh. Maybe someone can confirm but where there not a BXM4c branch that served Westchester County Center in Vahalla and was cancelled about 20 years ago due to low ridership?

The BxM4D?

http://www3.westchestergov.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2702:compromise-saves-bxm4c-express-bus&catid=74:news&Itemid=300137

The 4C will be spared (for now), but with a fare hike to 8.50 and no weekend service. I wonder how this would work, would they just leave Metrocard transfers, but just take off an additional 3.00 extra (if transferring from another express bus like BxM18 from Wall St), or would they remove Metrocard all together. If MetroCard stays, one can just get the express bus plus, negating the fare hike.

http://www3.westchestergov.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2702:compromise-saves-bxm4c-express-bus&catid=74:news&Itemid=300137

The 4C will be spared (for now), but with a fare hike to 8.50 and no weekend service. I wonder how this would work, would they just leave Metrocard transfers, but just take off an additional 3.00 extra (if transferring from another express bus like BxM18 from Wall St), or would they remove Metrocard all together. If MetroCard stays, one can just get the express bus plus, negating the fare hike.

Ridership is very low north of Tuchaoe Rd on the 4c especially weekends. That why the compromise of extending the BXM4b to the Yonkers Raceway(I would prefer Cross County Mall myself)is a very good idea.

Archived