Why do some (F) trains terminate at Kings Hwy?

TrainFanatic

Some (F) trains terminate at Kings Highway because the Stillwell Avenue Terminal can't handle all of the (F) trains so about every one third of the (F)s turn around early at Kings Highway. I've seen some congestion problems around West 8th Street and Neptune Avenue for the Coney Island bound (F)s so this is their solution.

Some trains get taken out at Kings Highway and are layed up at the Avenue X Yard during midday hours.

Some (F) trains terminate at Kings Highway because the Stillwell Avenue Terminal can't handle all of the (F) trains so about every one third of the (F)s turn around early at Kings Highway. I've seen some congestion problems around West 8th Street and Neptune Avenue for the Coney Island bound (F)s so this is their solution.

The (F) train is a long line. By reversing trains at Kings Hwy, it could minimise delays and put as much service as possible in needed areas.

What they said.

This is partly the reason, but keep in mind that while the original purpose of the service pattern was to keep (F) trains flowing due to capacity issues at Coney Island, it's implemented at the schedule level. An (F) train set for Kings Highway will terminate at Kings Highway whether or not the terminal has capacity at the moment. I've seen ridiculous scenarios from this setup such as an (F) waiting at Avenue P for another (F) at Kings Highway to leave so it can terminate there while there are two Coney Island-bound (F)s behind it! The passengers got pissed and complained, so the (F) resumed service to Coney Island (which had already gathered quite a crowd of people heading Manhattan-bound).

Also, the service is not needed on the line past there. The service is primarily for the busy other end, while the Culver line is low ridership. In previous cutback plans, they mentioned eliminating service on off hours. Church Ave. used to be another short turn location.

I believe the (F) Kings Highway story has its' origin in Chrystie Street. On Sunday November 26, 1967 Chrystie Street opened and the new 70(:P and the 70(D) became Sixth Avenue expresses operating via the West End and Brighton, respectively.

Replacing the 70(D) on the Culver Line was the 70(F) which was extended from Broadway-Lafayette. During weekday rush hours express service was operated via Bergen Street Lower Level. While the portion from Jay Street-Borough Hall to Church Avenue was cancelled on Friday August 27, 1976, along with the 70(GG) being shortened to Smith-Ninth Streets, the peak direction portion between Church Avenue and Kings Highway continued into the 1980's being discontinued due to track work.

As far as I remember, Jay Street-Borough Hall to Church Avenue was cancelled due to rider complaints about having to transfer at Bergen Street from the 70(GG) (which was the local then) to the 70(F). You can probably imagine coming upstairs from a 70(RR) at 9th Street to board a 70(GG) for three stops then having to go downstairs at Bergen Street for the 70(F) to Manhattan then repeating the reverse in the evening. Or having to go dowstairs at Bergen Street for the 70(F) after boarding a 70(GG) at stations between Fourth Avenue and Carroll Street. (Riders who boarded a 70(GG) at Fort Hamilton Parkway and 15th Street-Prospect Park West were able to make a cross-platform transfer to the 70(F) at Seventh Avenue)

Kings Highway, five stops from Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island is the southernmost express stop on the Culver Line. The express track offers an option of switching to/from either local track between Avenue U and Avenue X before going into the Coney Island Yard.

The (F) trains that terminate at Kings Highway today might be a remnent of the former express service which operated, like the (1) trains which terminated at 137-City College into the 1980's were a remnent of the old "Broadway Local" which ran from 137th Street to South Ferry.

Correct. The switches at W8 are too far from Stillwell to allow all (F)'s to go to Stillwell without causing delays.

Archived