TWU head John Samuelsen: MTA boss Jay Walder 'raking in the dough' amid big job cuts

Harry

^^^ Dude, stop being a dickhead by not posting a size 36 font. Are you really piss off this late at night? Shouldnt you be sleeping and worried about your school work since you 17.

lol I'm also 17 but i finished High School early :P

Anyway, this is the reason why some TAs should be allowed to strike. Their union leader is treating them unfairly and They have to just sit there and take it.:tdown:

Seriously, did you really follow/ read the entire thread at all?

If you can not followed the thread, very simple... dont post unless you have something to say that is worthy in this thread.

The "lock" post is very childish thing.

Pot

Kettle

Black

And if you're such an adult, how come you in your all infinite adult wisdom felt it necessary to add to the flaming going on? If Megabus is causing a problem then its called IGNORING him. Someone who's mature like you should have figured that out.

Pot

Kettle

Black

And if you're such an adult, how come you in your all infinite adult wisdom felt it necessary to add to the flaming going on? If Megabus is causing a problem then its called IGNORING him. Someone who's mature like you should have figured that out.

How come you make smartass comment when MegaBus needs a serious brain check due to the fact his post is wrong. People who involved in this discussion already made substantial claims against him.

You on the other hand seems loss, Is that complicated to understand? No need to moderate this mess since it seems to quiet down when you post after the heated discussion. Can't save the thread, can you? If you dont like view this thread, move to a peaceful thread.

How come you make smartass comment when MegaBus needs a serious brain check due to the fact his post is wrong. People who involved in this discussion already made substantial claims against him.

You on the other hand seems loss, Is that complicated to understand? No need to moderate this mess since it seems to quiet down when you post after the heated discussion. Can't save the thread, can you? If you dont like view this thread, move to a peaceful thread.

A truly mature person like yourself would have send a private message. Pot, Kettle, Black!

WIth BULLSH9T being posted on this topic and flames going on this forum. This site is going DOWN...

I can't think of anything positive for the most of it..

People should just ignore and KEEP THINGS IN PM, NOT spread it to the fking public.. Damn!

:P!

MegaBus vs. every other people NEEDs to stop. This is totally immature.. Not just Megabus, but those involved in his issues or back..

WIth BULLSH9T being posted on this topic and flames going on this forum. This site is going DOWN...

People should just ignore and KEEP THINGS IN PM, NOT spread it to the fking public.. Damn!

MegaBus vs. every other people NEEDs to stop. This is totally immature.. Not just Megabus, but those involved in his issues or back..

It is really immature for the fact that MegaBus, for this long has ignore many post that he is wrong and many argue with him to correct his claim. No one should really take him serious with his wrong answers on the threads that he ruined a good discussion. If you really want this site to be really free from flaming crap by all means ask MegaBus to stop making a bad claims and accept the fact the people who argue with him correct his thinking in the discussion. It is not a rocket science. You dont want to spread bad information around. This forum has a tendency to do multiple times with crappy rumors and fake post. You really dont want this site to fall with bad information?

A truly mature person like yourself would have send a private message. Pot, Kettle, Black!

Thank you for calling me a mature guy. BTW, you need to change your slogan which is so stupid.

Alright both of you just let it go. The issue in this thread is MegaBus not either of you.

To mark1447: MegaBus vs. everyone else will stop when he 1) stops posting or 2) stops making an ass of himself. It's not for you to pass judgment on. He's been posting here over a year and has contributed almost nothing. So he's going to get called out on his bullshit, because frankly as you said in your post (and you're right), it's bringing the quality of this site down. However it's not going to stop just because a small minority of people here feels that he should be allowed to continue posting stupidity, and the onus should be on everyone else to just "ignore" the problem. I don't know why railfans are so scared of "flame wars" as they keep getting called, sometimes it's good to hash everything out and come to a conclusion.

A decade from now someone might search on Google trying to find out how much Jay Walder made in salary and this thread will be a result and they will see his posts. Wouldn't it be better then for the future that the information contained be accurate?

And there's plenty of positive here. Lots of posters have contributed extremely positive things to this thread. They just tend to get overlooked by the cesspool that's filled the last few pages. If MegaBus is banned there's no doubt in my mind that intelligent conversation can and will continue. That said, let's get this back on topic once more.

To everyone else:

Given his pay relative to other heads of public transit agencies Walder is definitely overpaid. However given his record in London, and what he's trying to do, and the effects that his short sighted cuts will have on rider and system safety as well as train service, I think he is grossly overpaid. Lee Sander was one I liked because even in the face of a budget deficit he was concerned about providing the best service possible given budgetary limits. Walder seems only concerned with "cutting this, cutting that" but coming up with some catchy gimmick (line train arrival boards in stations) that he can use to convince the public he's doing a good job.

His whole idea to introduce an Oyster card like fare system to NYC is pointless. The MetroCard works, why try and replace it so quickly?

^^^ I agree with you. I really can not fadom why are they so scared of this heated discussion lately?

Anyway..... I really disagree with you last part. They need to really have plan ahead to phaseout MetroCards. Since SmartCard has better technology and its ease of use. Except in this crappy economy, MTA needs lots cash to invest in.

Hey dumbass, it is not my responsibility, nor is it Rutgers' Tube's, to provide you with "helpful" posts.

I worked a bunch of OT and went to bed early a few nights in order to recuperate, and I missed all of the fireworks! :cry:

SubwayGuy is right, but my name username can easily (and much more appropriately) be replaced with probably well over 100 other usernames. Employees of the various (MTA) operations; lifelong transportation fans; talented photographers; BERA volunteers; and any of the many well-spoken and well-written members who offer their honest opinions on any topic that has been raised in these forums.

Some questions NEED factual answers. Some questions SHOULD be answered by members with experience relevant to the discussion at hand. Anyone can comment, and it's been made clear that site administration encourages this, provided that facts are clear and accurate, outside sources have received proper acknowledgement, and the bullshit is kept to minimum.

A post doesn't have to be peppered with statistics and loaded with all sorts of stories of experience to be helpful to someone. Moreover, if I am to receive a "Thanks" for one of my posts, does that mean that I've just ended famine and started world peace. Not at all. I've simply posted something that was found useful to the person(s) who have hit the "Thanks" icon.

None of the members have the "responsibility" to provide anyone with "helpful" posts. None of the members even have a responsibility to be on this web site. Members join by choice, visit and post by choice and find others' posts to be useful, again, by choice. From what I've gathered, some of the most frequently thanked members haven't even received "Thanks" for answering questions as much as they've been thanked for just providing their insightful two cents and commenting on things as they see it.

To everyone else:

Given his pay relative to other heads of public transit agencies Walder is definitely overpaid. However given his record in London, and what he's trying to do, and the effects that his short sighted cuts will have on rider and system safety as well as train service, I think he is grossly overpaid. Lee Sander was one I liked because even in the face of a budget deficit he was concerned about providing the best service possible given budgetary limits. Walder seems only concerned with "cutting this, cutting that" but coming up with some catchy gimmick (line train arrival boards in stations) that he can use to convince the public he's doing a good job.

His whole idea to introduce an Oyster card like fare system to NYC is pointless. The MetroCard works, why try and replace it so quickly?

The Cubic MetroCard system is an outdated, inconvenient mode of fare collection. Long-term cards get worn out quickly (you should see how an employee pass looks after 8 months of dipping and swiping, yet we have to keep them for two years!), numerous people have trouble swiping their cards to enter the system (Please Swipe Again, Please Swipe Again, Just Used), and the turnstiles are in constant need of repair.

On the other hand, a smart chip system like Oyster is very convenient. Fewer parts to replace thus more cost-effective to maintain, easier to enter the system (just tap and go), and the best part: the possibility of losing your card is sharply reduced, because your Oyster card doesn't even have to come out of your pocket, wallet, purse, etc. in order to have it read or reloaded! When I was in London, my Oyster card stayed in my jacket pocket the entire time, I just tapped my jacket to enter the system!

The Cubic MetroCard system is an outdated, inconvenient mode of fare collection. Long-term cards get worn out quickly (you should see how an employee pass looks after 8 months of dipping and swiping, yet we have to keep them for two years!), numerous people have trouble swiping their cards to enter the system (Please Swipe Again, Please Swipe Again, Just Used), and the turnstiles are in constant need of repair.

On the other hand, a smart chip system like Oyster is very convenient. Fewer parts to replace thus more cost-effective to maintain, easier to enter the system (just tap and go), and the best part: the possibility of losing your card is sharply reduced, because your Oyster card doesn't even have to come out of your pocket, wallet, purse, etc. in order to have it read or reloaded! When I was in London, my Oyster card stayed in my jacket pocket the entire time, I just tapped my jacket to enter the system!

Do you know if there's a back-up system that would be implemented in the event that a temporary Oyster glitch occurs, so that people could still pass fare control without too much of an inconvenience, and NYCT would not lose too much money due to frustrated riders who end up using surface modes of transportation?

When fare systems break down, the only thing you can do is open the gates and charge nothing. Over the long run, back-up systems are exhorbitantly expensive and not worth the investment. The amount from lost revenue as a result of offering free transportation would be far less than the cost of a back-up system over a period of years.

System breakdown and free transportation = potential loss of revenue

Back-up system = guaranteed loss of revenue.

When fare systems break down, the only thing you can do is open the gates and charge nothing. Over the long run, back-up systems are exhorbitantly expensive and not worth the investment. The amount from lost revenue as a result of offering free transportation would be far less than the cost of a back-up system over a period of years.

System breakdown and free transportation = potential loss of revenue

Back-up system = guaranteed loss of revenue.

To be honest one of my biggest problems with an Oyster card like payment system as proposed for NYCT is that it is to be tied to a credit card or bank account. I find that to be an invasion of privacy, and would much rather refill whatever form of payment myself (similar to the MVM system in place today).

Also I should clarify my earlier post since I chose poor wording and that's my fault. I don't think the Oyster Card is a "horrible idea" or anything, but I think in the context of the budget shortfall this isn't a good time to be pressing that. I think it's more important to maintain service levels, maintenance frequency (I've heard some grumblings about raising routine inspections from every 10,000 miles to 12,000 miles), and system staffing. Just wanted to clarify that point. I don't think an RFID system is a bad system, I just don't think it would warrant the huge capital expense to implement, particularly as service and workforce cuts are going through. I judge Walder on that because it shows where his priorities are, and it's not with running the best service possible.

That said I definitely hear you on the employee pass thing, I have a hard time making monthly passes last sometimes. The readers seem to get dirty or greasy fairly often which seems to cause the card read error. However, I just think the priority should be service first, especially considering the finances of the TA

To be honest one of my biggest problems with an Oyster card like payment system as proposed for NYCT is that it is to be tied to a credit card or bank account. I find that to be an invasion of privacy, and would much rather refill whatever form of payment myself (similar to the MVM system in place today).

Also I should clarify my earlier post since I chose poor wording and that's my fault. I don't think the Oyster Card is a "horrible idea" or anything, but I think in the context of the budget shortfall this isn't a good time to be pressing that. I think it's more important to maintain service levels, maintenance frequency (I've heard some grumblings about raising routine inspections from every 10,000 miles to 12,000 miles), and system staffing. Just wanted to clarify that point. I don't think an RFID system is a bad system, I just don't think it would warrant the huge capital expense to implement, particularly as service and workforce cuts are going through. I judge Walder on that because it shows where his priorities are, and it's not with running the best service possible.

That said I definitely hear you on the employee pass thing, I have a hard time making monthly passes last sometimes. The readers seem to get dirty or greasy fairly often which seems to cause the card read error. However, I just think the priority should be service first, especially considering the finances of the TA

I have a TransitChek through my employer; one card that is intended to last me the entire year. Regardless of whether I use a protective sleeve or not when not being used, that card becomes a trial in patience midway through that year, and by the end, a single ride requires more swipes than I used during the first month.

The Cubic MetroCard system is an outdated, inconvenient mode of fare collection. Long-term cards get worn out quickly (you should see how an employee pass looks after 8 months of dipping and swiping, yet we have to keep them for two years!),

You should see my TransitChek MetroCard that I have to use for a year until I get a new one every September.

I have a TransitChek through my employer; one card that is intended to last me the entire year. Regardless of whether I use a protective sleeve or not when not being used, that card becomes a trial in patience midway through that year, and by the end, a single ride requires more swipes than I used during the first month.

What I tend to do is slightly bend the card when swiping so that the magnetic strip makes more contact with the readers. It reduces the "please swipe again" messages by a lot.

You should see my TransitChek MetroCard that I have to use for a year until I get a new one every September.

What I tend to do is slightly bend the card when swiping so that the magnetic strip makes more contact with the readers. It reduces the "please swipe again" messages by a lot.

Hot tip. I may end up trying that at some point.

Odd, frugal question, but does anyone know if electronics cleaner or any other cleaning solvent helps prolong the life of the strip?

Archived