Transportation Bill introduced in Congress would reverse layoffs and service cuts

SpikeMauler

I allways believed this was the way to the solution not blaming Walder, the TWU, the press, or the rich. From what I heard, Gillibranch and a second politician are submitting a 4 billion dollar federal bailout bill for Transit. It's the logical thing for a politician to do if they want to get elected and it will be approved, especially with the year end elections coming up. I suggest you all do like I've been doing which is to write these representatives in Albany and Washington, vote, and volunteer for candidates that support this bill. :P

As much as I would like to see this happen, I'm not going to hold my breath. In fact, I wouldn't be the least surprised that if it did happen, Waldo would still look for job cuts.

Right now as it stands MNR is abolishing 40 plus jobs in the TCU union alone effective next week. These jobs range from secretaries, clerks, and customer service positions. As a result of the abolishments there is likely going to be a minimum of six months work of bumping (domino effect). If this bill did pass I can't see these jobs being recreated and everyone reverting back to there old position.

They don't know about what you want and/or need if you don't tell them.

I am actually proud to say i was involved in getting support for this bill. I think it has a good chance of passing.

- A

What taking so long?!!!!! This is a step to a right direction....

The problem will be Jay Walder if he ever changes his mind...

From New York Times, todays edition

Are the union and the M.T.A. talking? “We’ve had conversations,” said John Samuelsen, president of the transit workers’ union. “They’re holding the loaded gun of layoffs to our heads. We didn’t cause this crisis.”

He hopes that Congress will authorize $2 billion in transit aid this year. Jay Walder, the chairman of the authority, apparently, and perhaps astutely, is not counting on it.

“Jay has had conversations with Mr. Samuelsen; they’re both on the same page, that the best chance of getting things done is talking quietly and less talking in the press,” said Jeremy Soffin, a spokesman for Mr. Walder.

[/Quote]

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/nyregion/26about.html

As much as I would like to see this happen, I'm not going to hold my breath. In fact, I wouldn't be the least surprised that if it did happen, Waldo would still look for job cuts.

Right now as it stands MNR is abolishing 40 plus jobs in the TCU union alone effective next week. These jobs range from secretaries, clerks, and customer service positions. As a result of the abolishments there is likely going to be a minimum of six months work of bumping (domino effect). If this bill did pass I can't see these jobs being recreated and everyone reverting back to there old position.

Exactly.

This is great news. Still, I have to wonder...

Bill or no, funding or no funding, Congressional support or none at all...

What good is any of this so long as a greedy, unscrupulous, arrogant elitist and self-serving man is still calling the shots? For all we know, he could be looking at this as an opportunity to pad his mattress, wallpaper his condo/co-op/excessive living arrangement and still have a few Franklins to use for parachute patches.

Archived