Orange M Signs Going Up In The East

Hell, none of this crap effects me in any way. I Take the train to only 3 places during a normal week, Avenue X, Jay St, and 207th St from my station on the (F). Failure or not, I can't wait to see how this all works out.

LOL that's my mentality of this whole thing.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those poeple in Middle Village and Glendale who feel that they should be catered to with a one-seat ride to Midtown, and for ANYONE else who feels that they are entitled to a one-seat ride when using mass transit, then you shouldn't be taking the subway, period.

Except, myself aside, there really weren't any people in Middle Village, Glendale, Ridgewood, etc. who were asking for this change. When I went to my local community board transportation committee to ask that they ask the MTA to look into running the (M2) uptown only a couple of oldtimers even remembered the K/KK - for the rest, I had to explain about the Chrystie Street Connector. No one else that I've talked to in the neighborhood even knew that it was possible to send the (M2) to Midtown.

This service change wasn't made to "cater" to the entitled brats in central Queens, it was made because the new service will be a much more efficient use of limited resources than the previous services. Fewer crews, fewer trains, etc.

As it turns out, efficiency and good customer service go hand in hand in this particular case. More people work in Midtown than work Downtown. Maybe eighty or a hundred years ago it made sense to run two (or three) trains along the Nassau Line into Lower Manhattan but it doesn't anymore. Most people who take the (M2) aren't looking to go Downtown and most of them switch to some other service along the way. Surely it makes more sense, if you're going to run a train, to run it where your passengers need to go.

Oh, and to those who all hate the (V) you're going to be sorry I tell you. The (V) does its job by relieving the (F), and I remain faithful that the (V) will return when the Culver work is finished and it'll continue doing what it does best and that is helping the (F) for nearly it's entirety.

Well, the (M) will ALSO help relieve the (F). It'll be running the same route as the (V) (except for 2nd Ave - big whoop). Yes, it'll be a bit shorter but, given passenger loads on the (V), that shouldn't be a MAJOR problem.

ALSO, a lot of passengers who currently get off the (M2) at Essex to transfer to the (F) at Delancey (which I used to do every day until I realized it was driving me crazy) won't have to do so and will be able to stay on the (M) instead, reducing crowding on the crush loaded (F).

I think the (M) will actually help the (F) better than the (V) ever did.

Except, myself aside, there really weren't any people in Middle Village, Glendale, Ridgewood, etc. who were asking for this change. When I went to my local community board transportation committee to ask that they ask the MTA to look into running the (M2) uptown only a couple of oldtimers even remembered the K/KK - for the rest, I had to explain about the Chrystie Street Connector. No one else that I've talked to in the neighborhood even knew that it was possible to send the (M2) to Midtown.

This service change wasn't made to "cater" to the entitled brats in central Queens, it was made because the new service will be a much more efficient use of limited resources than the previous services. Fewer crews, fewer trains, etc.

As it turns out, efficiency and good customer service go hand in hand in this particular case. More people work in Midtown than work Downtown. Maybe eighty or a hundred years ago it made sense to run two (or three) trains along the Nassau Line into Lower Manhattan but it doesn't anymore. Most people who take the (M2) aren't looking to go Downtown and most of them switch to some other service along the way. Surely it makes more sense, if you're going to run a train, to run it where your passengers need to go.

Very true, there IS a notable shift uptown, everyone is now focusing on the Midtown CBD now. Chambers Street, for example, looks like a ghost town. As do many streets in FiDi actually. FiDi is now becoming more of a mixed-used area rather than just an economic hub. It's starting to become a residential area as well.

(D) trains used it at one time years ago because of track work on the Bridge and had to go down via Nassau to get to Brooklyn. Also they do use it from time to time for maybe non revenue moves. So it's not a waste.

Just because it hasn't been used for revnue service doesn't mean it is a waste.

63rd St has been a waste because they haven't used it to its full potential [originally supposed to have been used for the QB super express].

what are you talking about?I didn't say the cut itself was a waste.

Maybe not this time, but you did say that several times in the past.

What are you talking about?You must be confuse with a different person....this first time I am discussion about this topic and again I never said the Cut was useless!

ok, whether it was gonna be called the V or whats now know as the orange M, the route was still gonna be formed. And in all honesty, whats the big effin deal???? the route formally know as the V only lost ONE, count it, ONE stop! 2nd Ave. and being someone who frequented that stop, only a small handfull DIDNT transfer to the F to continue their trip. As far as the route formally known as the Nassau St M, most people got off at Essex and transfered to the F! Now we may see people actually on the 6th Ave local thats not the F south of W4th ST. And who really took the M south of chambers?? their use to be a brown R that left chambers and went south into brooklyn. What happened to it? discontinued due to LOW ridership. Just like the Brown M south of essex! Personally, i think the dumbest thing the MTA did in this case was deciding to call it the orange M instead of the original plan of calling it an extended V ONLY because it was already programmed on the NTTs. Other that that....ITS NOT REALLY DOOMSDAY! Superman did not get killed! The Fallen did not get its revenge! Earth did not get assimilated by the Borg. Trains still run and now they run thru a tunnel that hasnt seen a revenue train since what....1976? thats a year before i was born. To all of you who were born after the last time the Mets won a world series(1986) you think its bad now? You didnt have to suffer through the early to mid 80s. 4-car double letter trains that showed up when they felt like it. speed restrictions all over due to neglected tracks! trains breaking down all the time cause morons thought it was ok to run R-12s, R-14s, R-15s, R-17s, R-21s, R-22s, R-26s, R-28s, R-29s, R-33s, and R-36s in the SAME consists with no maintenence! Ya'll still got it kinda good right now. Ask any "O.G." on this site about the service hell of the 70s and 80s.

some of u kids should be happy ya'll still got student metrocards.

end rant

RIP(V)(W). We didnt know you long enough

Go (M)! do your thang! LOL

What are you talking about?You must be confuse with a different person....this first time I am discussion about this topic and again I never said the Cut was useless!

Indeed I am confusing you with some one else. I must have quickly read your user name as LRG, so disregard my comments.

Indeed I am confusing you with some one else. I must have quickly read your user name as LRG, so disregard my comments.

Hey, I never said the cut was useless either. :confused: I just found the connection to the Nassau a waste because it was useless for thirty or so years but not the Sixth Avenue part. I'm glad that riders in South Brooklyn can access Sixth Avenue no problem.

ok, whether it was gonna be called the V or whats now know as the orange M, the route was still gonna be formed. And in all honesty, whats the big effin deal???? the route formally know as the V only lost ONE, count it, ONE stop! 2nd Ave. and being someone who frequented that stop, only a small handfull DIDNT transfer to the F to continue their trip. As far as the route formally known as the Nassau St M, most people got off at Essex and transfered to the F! Now we may see people actually on the 6th Ave local thats not the F south of W4th ST. And who really took the M south of chambers?? their use to be a brown R that left chambers and went south into brooklyn. What happened to it? discontinued due to LOW ridership. Just like the Brown M south of essex! Personally, i think the dumbest thing the MTA did in this case was deciding to call it the orange M instead of the original plan of calling it an extended V ONLY because it was already programmed on the NTTs. Other that that....ITS NOT REALLY DOOMSDAY! Superman did not get killed! The Fallen did not get its revenge! Earth did not get assimilated by the Borg. Trains still run and now they run thru a tunnel that hasnt seen a revenue train since what....1976? thats a year before i was born. To all of you who were born after the last time the Mets won a world series(1986) you think its bad now? You didnt have to suffer through the early to mid 80s. 4-car double letter trains that showed up when they felt like it. speed restrictions all over due to neglected tracks! trains breaking down all the time cause morons thought it was ok to run R-12s, R-14s, R-15s, R-17s, R-21s, R-22s, R-26s, R-28s, R-29s, R-33s, and R-36s in the SAME consists with no maintenence! Ya'll still got it kinda good right now. Ask any "O.G." on this site about the service hell of the 70s and 80s.

some of u kids should be happy ya'll still got student metrocards.

end rant

RIP(V)(W). We didnt know you long enough

Go (M)! do your thang! LOL

Truer words were never spoken! Having lived through the 1970s, yesterday's cuts were benign at the very least. I do sympathize for (M2) riders; that's the real "cut." I also think that there will have to be some level of service restored as 4th Avenue Brooklyn continues to be developed and lower Manhattan rebounds.

Hey, I never said the cut was useless either. :confused: I just found the connection to the Nassau a waste because it was useless for thirty or so years but not the Sixth Avenue part. I'm glad that riders in South Brooklyn can access Sixth Avenue no problem.

It wasn't useless, it was just unused. There's a difference.

Archived