Orange M Signs Going Up In The East

Went to school today and as I approached the stair case at Myrtle Wyckoff, I noticed an orange M stickered over the (M2). All inside of myrtle wyckoff station there are orange Ms, except on the platform the signs are still brown. They also changed the signs at fresh pond except the signs on the plat are still orginal. I can't speak the same for forest and seneca but im sure they got to those signs. They are only putting a sticker over the brown M which can be pealed off, and its only on major destination signs.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went to school today and as I approached the stair case at Myrtle Wyckoff, I noticed an orange M stickered over the (M2). All inside of myrtle wyckoff station there are orange Ms, except on the platform the signs are still brown. They also changed the signs at fresh pond except the signs on the plat are still orginal. I can't speak the same for forest and seneca but im sure they got to those signs. They are only putting a sticker over the brown M which can be pealed off, and its only on major destination signs.

Yup, the signs are also up at Essex, Metropolitan (except the platform signs), and a few other stations.

Damn the (MTA) is fast at changing signs :eek:

They need to be, all personal opinions aside the last tme there were service changes of this level, signs were not updated fast enough and it lead to apt of confusion because trains and staions were not correctly marked.

From what I've been told, day one of Chrystie Street was a nightmare. I've heard stories of people in high school at the times getting lost and never making it to school that day.

Makes you wonder why connecting Sixth Avenue to Broadway Brooklyn was a huge mistake in itself.

Yup, the signs are also up at Essex, Metropolitan (except the platform signs), and a few other stations.

I went to essex street today and saw nothing but brown (M)s, mind telling me where it is?

As much as I'm trying to stay neutral about this (M) service, I'm starting to dislike it a lot. We're going to see some crowding and boarding issues along Queens Boulevard, people looking for the (V) now with the (M) instead, boarding at ends of the platform not an option anymore. It's a good thing that these (M) signs are put up along the (V). I hope they put up signs on where to board this (M) or there will be total chaos. We'll see how it goes, but I have a feeling that this (M) won't work. That's just my take.

When the passengers see that the (E) trains are longer than (M) trains along Queens Boulevard, people will board the (E) more and the crowding on the (E) will worsen too, and same goes with the (F) along 6 Avenue. I have tried not to bash the (M). I wished there was another compromise, but if (MTA) New York says this is the solution, then so be it.

ORANGE M = FAIL

End of story.

the qb line WILL be a disaster..mark my words lol

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You know man, let 'em keep drinking the Kool-Aid. Let's just sit back and watch a disaster unfold...lol

I think you are being overly pessimistic. And I'm staying neutral on this, but do hope that the 'savings' works out. People on that side of Brooklyn for years have had to rely on only the (L) to get to Midtown and the (L) is bursting at the seams. there's only so many trains they can keep running on it.

As for the QB segment, the (G) ran 6-car trains for years, so an 8-car (M) is not going to be that big a deal. Plus you still had more than enough standing spaces on the (V). As long as they stop at the stairs to minimize the 'dash', then a shorter train is not going to be that terrible.

Guest lance25

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Well, the alternative to the M/V combo was to eliminate the V entirely. You know what that means: one local service along 6th Ave and no direct service to East 53 St or the Queens Blvd stations west of Jackson Heights without backtracking. While it's an ideal service pattern, the MTA still considers it a service cut NOT an improvement.

Makes you wonder why connecting Sixth Avenue to Broadway Brooklyn was a huge mistake in itself.

That was not the problem at all, it was the lack of proper signage to help people understand the new routes.

I think you are being overly pessimistic. And I'm staying neutral on this, but do hope that the 'savings' works out. People on that side of Brooklyn for years have had to rely on only the (L) to get to Midtown and the (L) is bursting at the seams. there's only so many trains they can keep running on it.

As for the QB segment, the (G) ran 6-car trains for years, so an 8-car (M) is not going to be that big a deal. Plus you still had more than enough standing spaces on the (V). As long as they stop at the stairs to minimize the 'dash', then a shorter train is not going to be that terrible.

I'll have to agree on this. The last time a similar set up was done was in the 70s. Needs are different now because there is a great population change in the Williamsburg area. We can't readily make assumptions based on what we see now. This thing won't show its effects - the good or the bad, until at least a period following implementation. It would be foolish to make an assumption whether the set up is beneficial or not based on surveying patterns based on one day alone - nor over present data given.

From what I've been told, day one of Chrystie Street was a nightmare. I've heard stories of people in high school at the times getting lost and never making it to school that day.

I rode the train through the cut when it opened and it wasn't a big deal to me, a teenager at the time. On a day with widespread service changes on the BMT-IND lines what I remember most were the reports of trains taking wrong line-ups. There was some whining from commuters who had their routines screwed up but the wholesale changes were publicized in the newspapers, radio, and TV for at least a few weeks before they went in effect. It occured to me that many so-called adult NYers were either babies or just plain stupid because some of them were confused about the changes even after all the publicity. When I was a C/R I saw the same thing happen when the (2),(3), (4) and (5) switched southern terminals back in '83. That confirmed my impression of some NYers that was formed when the cut opened. Say what you will about the loss of the (M2) and (V) and the re-opening of the cut for regular passenger service. It just seems to me that the dire predictions are blown out of proportion. It's a service cut, not the end of the world.

That also happened during 2004 (to a lesser extent) when the Manhattan Bridge project was done. A (:P train took the wrong line-up and ended up on the Broadway line.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Well, the alternative to the M/V combo was to eliminate the V entirely. You know what that means: one local service along 6th Ave and no direct service to East 53 St or the Queens Blvd stations west of Jackson Heights without backtracking. While it's an ideal service pattern, the MTA still considers it a service cut NOT an improvement.

No, I don't think the (V) [segment] was going to be cut. [The (G) has been permanently cut back to Court Sq, so that means a 4th Manhattan-Queens line is a must.]

It was the (Z) that was going to be cut before they decided to combine the (V) and (M2) into one line.

Ive seen the signs at 23rd as well. They just plastered the stickers on at the entrance. I do have pictures taken from my phone if you guys like ill post them.

The shorter cars will have an impact though. When i wait at the back of the platform at my station I'd be hoping its an R train lol. All kidding aside it'll end up like the G sprint on some ocassions because of the shorter cars. It will definitely be terrible when there's a delay on a Queens Blvd local though. It gets extremely crowded on a local if a train doesnt come for sometime.

I would like to know why the MTA isnt considering a out of system transfer for G riders at Broadway to Hewes or Lorimer. It will definitely help in terms of redirecting passengers and clearing up some congestion on the L.

I totally agree with that last part about the OOS transfer. It's bad enough they decided to rehab both stations on Broadway without building a phsyical connection to the (G) station, but at least give the people there a MC transfer. It forces people to double back to take the (L) to get to the (G) [if they don't have an unlimited].

Archived