Orange M Signs Going Up In The East

As much as I'm trying to stay neutral about this (M) service, I'm starting to dislike it a lot. We're going to see some crowding and boarding issues along Queens Boulevard, people looking for the (V) now with the (M) instead, boarding at ends of the platform not an option anymore. It's a good thing that these (M) signs are put up along the (V). I hope they put up signs on where to board this (M) or there will be total chaos. We'll see how it goes, but I have a feeling that this (M) won't work. That's just my take.

When the passengers see that the (E) trains are longer than (M) trains along Queens Boulevard, people will board the (E) more and the crowding on the (E) will worsen too, and same goes with the (F) along 6 Avenue. I have tried not to bash the (M). I wished there was another compromise, but if (MTA) New York says this is the solution, then so be it.

This is why people need to read.. (MTA) Puts up a sign and no one reads bs. Even if you announce it people will be in there own world. But when the day comes of the service changes then people ill attack the t/a becuz they didn't bother reading or hearing the changes and then blame the (MTA) for the changes..

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you are being overly pessimistic. And I'm staying neutral on this, but do hope that the 'savings' works out. People on that side of Brooklyn for years have had to rely on only the (L) to get to Midtown and the (L) is bursting at the seams. there's only so many trains they can keep running on it.

Then explain to me why in the hell everyone else has to suffer from these cuts while the residents of Middle Village and Glendale benefit from it. Does that make any sense to you at all? It sure as hell doesn't to me.

Heck, those people have the QM24 to take them directly to Midtown for a reason so they have absolutely no right to be complaining about no direct service to Midtown because...there is one.

Call me what you want but I refuse to show any support for this new line. I'm starting to wish that the rest of the Myrtle Avenue El was just torn down now.

Then explain to me why in the hell everyone else has to suffer from these cuts while the residents of Middle Village and Glendale benefit from it. Does that make any sense to you at all? It sure as hell doesn't to me.

I think the residents of Middle Village and along the current (M) line aren't too happy about losing service to Downtown Brooklyn and the Financial District.

By the way I'll have to check this new (M) signs.

I think the residents of Middle Village and along the current (M) line aren't too happy about losing service to Downtown Brooklyn and the Financial District.

Exactly. The (M2) relieves the (4)/(5) in Lower Manhattan, especially when the (M2) heads to Downtown Brooklyn.

Exactly. The (M2) relieves the (4)/(5) in Lower Manhattan, especially when the (M2) heads to Downtown Brooklyn.

Don't forget the (R) along the 4th Avenue Segment, it does provide relief too. In fact, I saw some (M2) signs being peeled off too along that corridor.

Guest lance25

@Grand Concourse: You're right, I confused the (Z) with the (V) for service cuts.

That being said however, these are still service cuts. The fact that anyone benefits is purely coincidental.

Some won't be happy,while others will.

This is why people need to read.. (MTA) Puts up a sign and no one reads bs. Even if you announce it people will be in there own world. But when the day comes of the service changes then people ill attack the t/a becuz they didn't bother reading or hearing the changes and then blame the (MTA) for the changes..

When it comes to service changes or weekend work on any subway lines,people don't pay attention or read.though it's understandable that some station PA systems are hard to understand.

What's the tension w/ the (M)....Even if the (M2) stayed it was only gonna run from Middle Village to the Financial District w/ no rush hour service to Brooklyn anyways.

Not necessarily. There were plans to have every other (M2) train head out to South Brooklyn during the rush.

@Grand Concourse: You're right, I confused the (Z) with the (V) for service cuts.

That being said however, these are still service cuts. The fact that anyone benefits is purely coincidental.

Of course. Either way the (M2) was going to stop at Chambers 18/5 anyway and (V) trains already empties out by W4th. So yes this was a "foamers' fantasy come true" to combine the two lines, it makes sense as the MTA no longer needs to keep the crew rooms at 2nd Av open.

The rest of the new (M) service is just a byproduct of the service cuts to allow people a 2nd option to get from that area of Brooklyn to Midtown. The (L) simply can't handle all the riders and there's only so many trains they can keep running on it.

Of course. Either way the (M2) was going to stop at Chambers 18/5 anyway and (V) trains already empties out by W4th. So yes this was a "foamers' fantasy come true" to combine the two lines, it makes sense as the MTA no longer needs to keep the crew rooms at 2nd Av open.

The rest of the new (M) service is just a byproduct of the service cuts to allow people a 2nd option to get from that area of Brooklyn to Midtown. The (L) simply can't handle all the riders and there's only so many trains they can keep running on it.

Thats what I've been preaching for the longest time, the (L) and (F) can surely use the help with this new (M).

Not necessarily. There were plans to have every other (M2) train head out to South Brooklyn during the rush.

That was in the preliminary discussion in 2009 which was still on the table until this year, they wanted to eliminate all service to South Brooklyn, making its permanent rush hour last stop at Broad Street.

You know, I've been reading all these anti-(M) things and something has been bothering me, for those who actually dislike the plan, how many of you actually used the South Brooklyn (M2) to begin with? And if so, how often?

From my recent observations in the AM, most of the people usually get off at Myrtle for the (J) express into Manhattan while others get off at Essex for the (F). I dont think anything would change by people getting off at Essex, I dont really see an issue, people can just get off at Myrtle for the (J) express into Manhattan, whats the big deal? The (M2) usually get the bulk of its passengers in Brooklyn only at Atlantic-Pacific & Dekalb Avenue, all the other stations are just stop and go. The real bulk of passengers is only in Manhattan, especially when people transfer to the (F).

Not many people use the South Brooklyn (M2) anyway, and those who do, usually transfer over to the (D) anyway! The only bad thing about that is that its going to impact (R) line service, which isnt that packed during the PM rush hour from Brooklyn to Manhattan & Vice-Versa. And so what if it adds an extra 5-10 minutes into the commute, its not like thats going to kill anyone, when shit happens on a weekend, it usually takes longer for trains to get from one place to another, but I dont see anyone complaining about that.

To hate on this change because of nostalgia is fine but to hate on it because of something you think is going to happen and claiming its going to "fail" when nothing has started as yet is just plain stupid. Just shut ya traps and wait and see what happens.

I look at it this way: unless Culver were to magically scream for more service or the MTA were to have finally send the (V) to at least Church Av, the (V) will always stop there, empty at 2nd av. At least this merge will make better use of two dead ends and now free up 120' of train, which can be used to further retire the R44s on the (A).

Unrelated note:

The last thing they should do is to give the (G) to CI yard so it can run R160s/R68s and free up more R46s to go to the (A)/©* and Pitkin could send back to CI some R32s for the (:P.

*would have to be 10-car trains first.

I look at it this way: unless Culver were to magically scream for more service or the MTA were to have finally send the (V) to at least Church Av, the (V) will always stop there, empty at 2nd av. At least this merge will make better use of two dead ends and now free up 120' of train, which can be used to further retire the R44s on the (A).

Unrelated note:

The last thing they should do is to give the (G) to CI yard so it can run R160s/R68s and free up more R46s to go to the (A)/©* and Pitkin could send back to CI some R32s for the (B).

*would have to be 10-car trains first.

Simply introduce (F)/<F> Culver Local/Express if Culver magically screams for more service which would require more trains to run on the (F). Don't forget about some R46s possibly going to the SIRR.

Simply introduce (F)/<F> Culver Local/Express if Culver magically screams for more service which would require more trains to run on the (F). Don't forget about some R46s possibly going to the SIRR.

Don't worry. I have faith in the (V) being reintroduced and serving Culver than the (M) lasting more than two months.

This is what I don't get about the (F)/(V) proposal. If (6)<6> can serve the Pelham Line alone then why doesn't the same happen w/ the Culver Line (F)/<F> but instead there proposing the (V) to go down Culver also? The (M) would be the only 6th Ave Line not to go towards Coney Island.

Guest lance25

What I don't get is if there hasn't been express service on the Culver line for nearly a quarter of a century, why would it be implemented just because the MTA replaced some switches and tracks. If I remember correctly, (F) express was suspended because people didn't want to take the (G). People generally don't like having to take several trains to get from point A to Point B. Plus, is there any plan to rehab the Bergen St station on the lower level because I don't remember hearing about one?

This is what I don't get about the (F)/(V) proposal. If (6)<6> can serve the Pelham Line alone then why doesn't the same happen w/ the Culver Line (F)/<F> but instead there proposing the (V) to go down Culver also? The (M) would be the only 6th Ave Line not to go towards Coney Island.

The thing is...most (F) trains don't run full after Kings Highway to Coney Island except during the summertime for beachgoers (for the most part). I have rode the (F) in Brooklyn an oft amount of times and can definitely say that express service (at least between Bergen Street and Church Avenue) IS needed. After all, they're renovating the Culver Line between Bergen and Church for a reason anyway...heh. Kings Highway and Church Avenue I really can't speak for but if the (V) does get extended to Brooklyn and terminates at Church Avenue it'll take on more passengers than it does now terminating at Second Avenue. The (F) is crammed for goodness sake so by sending the (V) to Brooklyn the load will be distributed almost evenly. Want to make the (V) more useful? Make it the Culver Express when all the Culver work is done.

The financial district and china town are like what...2-3 stops after Essex? Wtf is there to complain about? If anything Middle Village would be happy to get a direct train into midtown. There are like 11 different subway lines down here in the financial district that run very frequently I might add. So they're not losing anything and its not like its a million mile walk or tax ride to get to a train that comes down to Wall St from there. Also last time I checked the (R) is pretty easy to get to down there for downtown brooklyn @ Canal. I swear...this is being blown outta proportion entirely.

**Of-Topic**

Does the (M) even have enough R160s for the (M) to Forest Hills? The (M) to Forest Hills seems longer then the (M2) Bay Parkway.....

Well there just might be with the elimination of the (W) entirely. But I won't sit firmly on that idea since the (Q) would probably take priority for those cars anyway.

R160s from the (W) are 10-car trains and would not go to the (M). Also those R160s would likely go to the (Q) so there won't be a problem at the terminal regarding roll signs.

R160s would have to be taken from the (J) so that the (M) can be all R160s. So the (J) will have R42s for regular service for a longer period - till they are replaced by the next order.

R160s from the (W) are 10-car trains and would not go to the (M). Also those R160s would likely go to the (Q) so there won't be a problem at the terminal regarding roll signs.

R160s would have to be taken from the (J) so that the (M) can be all R160s. So the (J) will have R42s for regular service for a longer period - till they are replaced by the next order.

Come to think of it, this isn't so bad after all. You have valid points here, the (Q) taking the (W)'s cars, the (M) taking some of the (J)s cars. /FONT]

The financial district and china town are like what...2-3 stops after Essex? Wtf is there to complain about? If anything Middle Village would be happy to get a direct train into midtown. There are like 11 different subway lines down here in the financial district that run very frequently I might add. So they're not losing anything and its not like its a million mile walk or tax ride to get to a train that comes down to Wall St from there. Also last time I checked the (R) is pretty easy to get to down there for downtown brooklyn @ Canal. I swear...this is being blown outta proportion entirely.

I agree 100%. For those who need to get to the Financial District/Chinatown Area, just hop on the damn (J)!

I don't see why it is a bad thing that the M is switching routes. Think about it this way, before residents of North Brooklyn had 2 trains both going the same place but now they have one that goes to midtown and one that goes downtown. This should have been done years ago.

Now I'm up for getting nit picky, perhaps if the Z was going uptown and the J/M was still going downtown that would have been better but this is still a good deal.

Archived