To SBS or not to SBS

NX Express

I agree White Plains Rd and some part of Bx19 can't use SBS because of elevated tracks.

I took Bx19 few years ago for full route from Botanical Garden to Riverbank State Park. Only the portion of elevated tracks does not enough space for bus lane.

Slightly off-topic Westchester County DOT Planning to introduce BRT on W21, which will make 7-day service full time, with Jerome Av section rerouted to Bainbridge Av.

Select Bus Service needs to be put on hold, now. There is far too much else going on in the transit system for the installation of machines, painting of lanes, and hiring of fare checkers.

By the way, it won't help the Bx19. The Bx19 has severe congestion problems. Changing traffic patterns for a bus lane on 149th Street? You're asking for disaster.

By the way, it won't help the Bx19. The Bx19 has severe congestion problems.

I remember somebody on here saying that the working the Bx19 was blood money and I thought that was funny until I fanned up in that area and saw for myself the crushloaded buses and the traffic.

I have to agree with RokuSix,SBS is not the answer to alot of these problems.IMO,the Bx12 SBS runs no better than the normal Bx12. While I think SBS is a good idea, implementing it in New York City will create more problems than it solves. Creating more Limiteds won't help either but maybe that would be better than SBS.

Even Westchester is doing BRT, would it end up better than SBS or more of the same, we will have to wait and see.

Usually SBS/BRT ends up with a huge increase in service and longer hours (Bx12 SBS runs 7 days a week, BRT W21 is supposed to run 7 days a week)

Select Bus Service needs to be put on hold, now. There is far too much else going on in the transit system for the installation of machines, painting of lanes, and hiring of fare checkers.

By the way, it won't help the Bx19. The Bx19 has severe congestion problems. Changing traffic patterns for a bus lane on 149th Street? You're asking for disaster.

Well actually, SBS right now is in its demonstrational phase. So right now they are experimenting to see if they work out here.

Quite frankly, BRT would work on thoroughfares that are fairly wide, say like Pelham Pkwy, Ocean Parkway or Queens Plaza because there is enough road space to sacrifice 2 lanes for SBS/BRT. Problem is, a good deal of the streets that SBS currently/or will travel through are fairly narrow. Drivers and buses have to jockey for space.

A cynical view that I have is, that the MTA just wants to play this worldwide catch-up game as to make itself look good. BRT is in the mode now, and every big city "NEEDS" to have some form of BRT. Such Bull Shit.

But again, this is apparently the experimental phase, I can only wonder what's next.

I remember somebody on here saying that the working the Bx19 was blood money and I thought that was funny until I fanned up in that area and saw for myself the crushloaded buses and the traffic.

I have to agree with RokuSix,SBS is not the answer to alot of these problems.IMO,the Bx12 SBS runs no better than the normal Bx12. While I think SBS is a good idea, implementing it in New York City will create more problems than it solves. Creating more Limiteds won't help either but maybe that would be better than SBS.

I don't think SBS should be put on hold. I think it's actually working great on the Bx12. I hear people all the time say "this SBS is not working." Why???? Because there are farebeaters?? People come the *%$! on! The sole purpose that the SBS is for is working great! Moving people faster by surface transit. Dwell times have been cut drasticly, and I think it's the best solution we have for the problems that we are having right now! Now I definitely agree that SBS can't be used on some routes, due to congestion. Perfect example is the B46. It needs SBS despirately, but it could never work. The only solution to the problem in Brooklyn (just like the east side of Manhattan) is a new north-south subway line. Sometime in the futute, the MTA will have to build one, and there is no wy around this one. Period.

Well actually, SBS right now is in its demonstrational phase. So right now they are experimenting to see if they work out here.

Quite frankly, BRT would work on thoroughfares that are fairly wide, say like Pelham Pkwy, Ocean Parkway or Queens Plaza because there is enough road space to sacrifice 2 lanes for SBS/BRT. Problem is, a good deal of the streets that SBS currently/or will travel through are fairly narrow. Drivers and buses have to jockey for space.

A cynical view that I have is, that the MTA just wants to play this worldwide catch-up game as to make itself look good. BRT is in the mode now, and every big city "NEEDS" to have some form of BRT. Such Bull Shit.

But again, this is apparently the experimental phase, I can only wonder what's next.

Although SBS is "technically" still in the experimental phase, it is here to stay.

I don't think SBS should be put on hold. I think it's actually working great on the Bx12. I hear people all the time say "this SBS is not working." Why???? Because there are farebeaters?? People come the *%$! on! The sole purpose that the SBS is for is working great! Moving people faster by surface transit. Dwell times have been cut drasticly, and I think it's the best solution we have for the problems that we are having right now! Now I definitely agree that SBS can't be used on some routes, due to congestion. Perfect example is the B46. It needs SBS despirately, but it could never work. The only solution to the problem in Brooklyn (just like the east side of Manhattan) is a new north-south subway line. Sometime in the futute, the MTA will have to build one, and there is no wy around this one. Period.

Although SBS is "technically" still in the experimental phase, it is here to stay.

Except the M15 one though. I'm almost certain that one is temporary. Other ones, yeah.

How about SBS Corridors are following corridors:

Cross Bay-Woodhaven Blvd

Queens Blvd-Hillside Av-Hempstead Turnpike

Union Turnpike

Atlantic Av

Manhattan

Bring back proposal West Side BRT via 11th Av-West End Av

Bronx

Gun Hill Rd

Bedford Park Blvd-Allerton Av

Webster Av

Staten Island

Victory Blvd

Hylan Blvd

Richmond Av

Cross Bay-Woodhaven Blvd

Union Turnpike

Atlantic Av

Manhattan

Bronx

Gun Hill Rd

Webster Av

Staten Island

Victory Blvd

Hylan Blvd

Richmond Av

So we get no love at all in Brooklyn I guess......:eek:

Cross Bay-Woodhaven Blvd

Union Turnpike

Atlantic Av

Manhattan

Bronx

Gun Hill Rd

Webster Av

Staten Island

Victory Blvd

Hylan Blvd

Richmond Av

The first one you mentioned is essentially the Q53. Also, there was a plan back in 07 or 08, that extra money would be used to develop a comprehensive bus rapid transit system here. I tried to find the map, but it looks like it got torned. It was featured in the NYCDOT.

Archived