V and W trains join a long list of routes that have bowed out of the subways

LRG

I agree, keep the (G) running to Church after the Culver Viaduct work is finished. It would be stupid to have the (G) revert to terminating at Smith and 9th. Terminating the (G) at Smith would delay the (F) and preclude any kind of express service from running between Jay and Church.

But as far as running that express service, well, we're just going to have to wait and see what happens with the new (M) service. Having the (M) precludes any Culver Express service from the 6th Avenue Line. If that service does prove to be an operational nightmare and an unpopular service, then I say resurrect the (V) in 2012, restore the old (M2) service and run the (V) as the Culver Express. I'd keep the (F) as is, just people who live on the elevated Culver Line are used to having the (F). The (V) can run as far south as Kings Highway to supplement the (F) and operate peak-direction express service during rush hours.

Better idea, run the (V) as the Culver Express / 6 Av Express / 2 Av Local to 96 St in 2016. The (V) can be restored as early as 2016 as a weekday only route to 96 St with the (Q). This way the (M) can remain the way it is.

Or the (V) can run to 168 St CPW express to 145 St local to 168 St weekdays from 2014 - 2016. If the Culver Express in needed before then or the SAS is delayed again.

The middle track at 72 St would have came in handy on the SAS, it could have terminated the (V) or any other displaced lines.

Better idea, run the (V) as the Culver Express / 6 Av Express / 2 Av Local to 96 St in 2016. The (V) can be restored as early as 2016 as a weekday only route to 96 St with the (Q). This way the (M) can remain the way it is.

This would delay the (:P(D)(F) by switching.

Or the (V) can run to 168 St CPW express to 145 St local to 168 St weekdays from 2014 - 2016. If the Culver Express in needed before then or the SAS is delayed again.

The middle track at 72 St would have came in handy on the SAS, it could have terminated the (V) or any other displaced lines.

(F), (M) and (V) trains all sharing the same tracks during rush hours? There's no way that's going to work.

Only way for that to happen is at the expense of the (M) and (F):

-technically the (M) can't really replace the (V) entirely, and the 71st-2nd Av end needs more service than the other portion. So they could have the (M) at the (M2) headways.

-(V) select trains would run both local and express [taking some trains off the (F)]. By the time the (F) and (V) gets to Brooklyn, the (F) could run to just Church Av as a local and the (V) would run express and make all stops couth of Church to CI. Because CI can't handle all the (F) trains.

It is probably more of a headache than it is worth, but it is something - small ditch effort to keep the (V).

(:), (D), and (Q6) all shared track during rush hours, so it should work for the (F), (M), and (V)

That's because each line operated with headways at 10 TPH or fewer. The amount of trains for the (B), (D) or (Q6) did not exceed 30 TPH. Having the (F), (M) and (V) co-exist will be daunting. Something will have to give.

I wonder if the (F) could be reduced, and the (E) increased in its stead. The (F) would already have the (V) helping it in Brooklyn.

Still, this would need 72/2 put back in, at least for Phase II and later, and it would be better as to not interfere with the (Q).

I wonder if the (F) could be reduced, and the (E) increased in its stead. The (F) would already have the (V) helping it in Brooklyn.

Still, this would need 72/2 put back in, at least for Phase II and later, and it would be better as to not interfere with the (Q).

Replace lost (F) trains with more (E) trains to 179 St, maybe foe a while every other (E) could go to 179 like the (5) or <5> to 238

Replace lost (F) trains with more (E) trains to 179 St, maybe foe a while every other (E) could go to 179 like the (5) or <5> to 238
Yeah; that's what I was thinking. Or, just now, was wondering if they could then switch the (E) and (F) between Parsons and 179th. (Is there some reason it HAS to be the (E) to Parsons? I used to hear about propsals to send the (R) or even (G) there!)

Would WTC be able to handle that increase in (E) trains? Also, there's the issue that the (F) decrease puts QBL Exp-6 Avenue riders at a disadvantage. However, the (V) could run via express...and via 63 Street...which would make it just like the (F) in Queens and Manhattan. Brooklyn would be the only difference (i.e. (F) to CI, (V) to Church).

In a nutshell...Turn some (F)s at Church Avenue and call them (V)s.

Archived