Where will the R62As go when the R188s go?

Don't get on me for saying this but I guess..... when he said "slightly more edges", he mean't the front ends of the A cars (or even the trainset itself) of R62/A's are curved more than an R142/A

R62A: http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery2/d/80368-2/47+R62a+1+train+hdr.jpg

R142A:http://thebergennetwork.com/na/ny/mtanyct/rail/7341.jpg

Don't get on me for saying this but I guess..... when he said "slightly more edges", he mean't the front ends of the A cars (or even the trainset itself) of R62/A's are curved more than an R142/A

Probably. The 142s are boxier than the 62s. To me at least.

Then again, this is AWWang we're talking about... who knows what he's saying...

If anything, Those R142A's from the (4), R142S would be the 1st ones to go to the (7), Because they were built with a CBTC kit and they were.

About the R62A's going Back to the (6) I doubt because of the politics but you never know, I think we should wait and see.

Politics. That word is almost good as a swearword sometimes.

If they talk logic, they would know that throwing junior hippos with smaller doors onto the (4) could mean more delays on an already delay-prone line. Bon voyage.

Couldn't they just put the spare R-62As on the (2)? If they can't put them back on the Lexington lines ((4), (5), (6)) due to door width or whatever, and being that the (1) and (3) already have R-62As and R-62s, respectively, then that would make the (2) the seemingly ideal candidate for recieving the spare R-62As from the (7). And thus, the R-142/As transferred from the (6) to the (7) could be replaced with R-142s coming from the (2) line (which could in turn recieve the R-62As, as opposed to the (6) getting them).

Couldn't they just put the spare R-62As on the (2)? If they can't put them back on the Lexington lines ((4), (5), (6)) due to door width or whatever, and being that the (1) and (3) already have R-62As and R-62s, respectively, then that would make the (2) the seemingly ideal candidate for recieving the spare R-62As from the (7). And thus, the R-142/As transferred from the (6) to the (7) could be replaced with R-142s coming from the (2) line (which could in turn recieve the R-62As, as opposed to the (6) getting them).

No because the (2) and the (5) swap cars at Flatbush.

No because the (2) and the (5) swap cars at Flatbush.

True, but it would be better to have many R-62As on the (2) (and consequently, some of those R-62As showing up on the (5)) than to have the (6) run R-62As, because of all the Lexington lines, the (6) is by far the worst in terms of crowding (I remember taking it to/from middle school; those days were hellish). As for the (5), although it is crowded, it is the least crowded line on Lexington Avenue, which means it would be more capable of handling several R-62A sets than the (6). If the R-62As were to return to the (6), it would be a far worse nightmare.

True, but it would be better to have many R-62As on the (2) (and consequently, some of those R-62As showing up on the (5)) than to have the (6) run R-62As, because of all the Lexington lines, the (6) is by far the worst in terms of crowding (I remember taking it to/from middle school; those days were hellish). As for the (5), although it is crowded, it is the least crowded line on Lexington Avenue, which means it would be more capable of handling several R-62A sets than the (6). If the R-62As were to return to the (6), it would be a far worse nightmare.

Well see, the (6) is not as interconnected as the (4) or the (5), you see? Oh yes, there would be a delay here and there on the (6) if the junior hippos do return, but delays, if they plague the line, would be more of an endemic issue. Meaning it happens there, it sticks there. However, if the (4) or the (5) receives a significant amount of cars with smaller doors, longer dwell times can occur.

I still doubt the 'politics' issue. If people don't like it then tough. The trains are there just to get ppl to point B. They don't like it then they can drive or cram themselves onto the (5). But as for the order of cars going, that's probably right about it being the ones on the (4) first.

1909 or some other 1900 car was scrapped, so that's one set that will never be a 5-car set and those 4 cars could be used as work cars. But as for the rest, there's no reason to keep them as singles.

theyll need more than 4, eventually all those R33 based work cars will need to be retired.

That idea brings me back down memory lane.... I came up w/ a idea like that when I was new on NYCTF. It's not impossible for R62As to be on the (2)(5) cause the Redbirds were on there before but was probaly inconvenent swapping. If I had to play this out, the R62As would belong to the (5) and R142s from the (5) would go to the (6). Since R62As on the (7) has LED displays, this would make the swap somewhat easier only changing the signs at the end of the cars from (2) to (5) or (5) to (2) and the red LED diamond indicating (2) service and the green LED circle indicating (5) service.

The (5) to Bowling Green middays WAS the least crowded Lexington Ave line because people wanted to go to Brooklyn, hence the crowds at Bowling Green. Now that the (4) and (5) both go to BK during the day that argument is out the door. It was determined that if any Lex line was a prime candidate for R62A cars it would have to be the (6) because it would only affect 1 line , while any other scenario would affect 2 or more lines( (2),(4) and (5)).

The (5) to Bowling Green middays WAS the least crowded Lexington Ave line because people wanted to go to Brooklyn, hence the crowds at Bowling Green. Now that the (4) and (5) both go to BK during the day that argument is out the door. It was determined that if any Lex line was a prime candidate for R62A cars it would have to be the (6) because it would only affect 1 line , while any other scenario would affect 2 or more lines( (2),(4) and (5)).

My point exactly, there are enough factors that contribute to delays (Union Square, heavy crowds, Rogers Jct.). Smaller doors would exacerbate the problems and there's a potential that they could bring delays to the (2) and (3) lines because of the fact that they interline.

Archived