Where will the R62As go when the R188s go?

First of all, the (1) and (3) are already R62/As. So there's no place for them.

2nd there's only the (4) or the (6) as the option since the (2)(5) needs the r142s for flexibility at Flatbush Av.

It doesn't matter what ES riders thinks. All that matters is a train shows up to get them to point B.

Not really. If you suddenly make all the (4) trains junior hippos, bad consequences may arise. Longer dwell times on the Lex express line can affect not only the (4) itself, but the (5) and also the (2) and (3). Having them on the (6) makes more sense.

Although it would be kinda nice having R62A on (4), but it wouldn't work along the Lexington Av line now. They need wide doors from R142/A, to handle the people.

The thing is, trains slow down as they approach Union Square (this is from a SB bound perspective). Now if there is a train in the front that does not leave the station, the next train gets held up. And thus, it could affect trains up and down the line. And keep in mind, there is a lot of ridership at Union Square. So having trains with smaller doors is not a great thing for the (4).

Not really. If you suddenly make all the (4) trains junior hippos, bad consequences may arise. Longer dwell times on the Lex express line can affect not only the (4) itself, but the (5) and also the (2) and (3). Having them on the (6) makes more sense.
For the sake of simplicity, I made it a general guess of it being either or. With the MTA you can never be too sure what they'd do. I too think the (6) would make the most sense, but I'm not staking my claims on that happening for sure.
It would be cool to see R62As on the (4) and (6), but I cant fathom the angry reation if they lose their High Tech Cars to the 7. Think of it in baseball terms, it is like trading away Tim Lincecum to get Jamie Moyer.

They'll get by. Plus in 6~ years the (Q) would run on 2nd Av so if they don't like R62As, then they can ride the R160s.

I wouldn't mind seeing an R62A back on the (6), plus we might get our RFW from (7).

They might link up the sets into 5-car units. I don't think there will be rfws. In the beginning when not as many singles are connected there might be such opportunities, but in the end I don't think it'll last.

You heard wrong, because if that were the case, they wouldnt have been using a real R142/A set while filming the Pelham 123 movie, and also they wouldnt've have ran in and out of the tunnel with no issues other than the power issues.

Wasn't that set sent via the 60th St tubes then sent via Flushing? From what I heard it was.Also that lead car wasn't an R142A.

What's the difference b/w the R142s and R142As? They are basically the same framewise. Plus you'd have to move trains from the (2)/(5) and add another group to deal with in the fleet swaps. That makes no sense.

R62As would likely go to the (6) since they have the led signs for local or express. (4) needs the R142/As as they have wider doors and carries more ppl due to not having unused cabs taking up space.

Not the same but similar R142A's are a bit sleeker than the Bomb's.Thats why the (4) makes more sense b\c 7731-7810 but thats a good argument about the (6) b\c of the Led for <6> and (6).

I remember someone saying the R142/A doors were the same width as the 62/A's.But yea I say the (6) and the (4) will get them back.

No, the R142/A doors are slightly wider [supposedly the same width as the R143/160s].

Even if you take the R142s from the (4), that's not enough. You'll need to take more from the (2)(5). And then in turn you'll need to send R142As to the (2)(5) to make up for he difference. So it doesn't really make sense to take the R142s and put them on the (7).

Wasn't that set sent via the 60th St tubes then sent via Flushing? From what I heard it was.Also that lead car wasn't an R142A.
A redbird [maybe the R33] is usually the car sent ahead because it has trippers on both sides of the car. I think IRT cars have their trippers on the opposite side of the B division lines.

No, the R142/A doors are slightly wider [supposedly the same width as the R143/160s].

Even if you take the R142s from the (4), that's not enough. You'll need to take more from the (2)(5). And then in turn you'll need to send R142As to the (2)(5) to make up for he difference. So it doesn't really make sense to take the R142s and put them on the (7).

A redbird [maybe the R33] is usually the car sent ahead because it has trippers on both sides of the car. I think IRT cars have their trippers on the opposite side of the B division lines.

Yea I knew I wasn't bugging about the NTT's door being a bit wider.All that I agree with GC.

It makes sense for the (6) to give up their R142As since that fleet is larger than the (7). In turn they could probably send the remaining R142As to the (4) and send the R142s to the (6). I don't have the exact numbers on hand, so I can't say how much goes to which.

That said, (3) was supposed to have the R142s, but the (3) is a part time line and R62s were at their midway point. It made sense to give the (3) the R62s as it is less 'demanding' than the (4). And of course the R142s have wider doors so more people can get in/out a bit easier.

...A redbird [maybe the R33] is usually the car sent ahead because it has trippers on both sides of the car. I think IRT cars have their trippers on the opposite side of the B division lines.

Every single work car, be it red/yellowbirds, diesels, flatcars crane cars, TGC's & garbage cars has trippers on both sides of the trucks so it can safely operate in both divisions. The only exception to this is the R32 work cars since they can only stay in the B Division. For all we know, it could've been a diesel (it sounds most likely) that was leading that set to Corona.

As for where those R62A's go, its way too early 2 tell where they gonna go. I've heard people say every possible place imaginable. I even heard that they gonna retire the redbirds and go to work service.

No one knows where they gonna go and even if they say they do, that can change in a heartbeat. So how about we leave it like this...

WE'LL CROSS THAT R188 BRIDGE WHEN THE TIME COMES

The (6) should just be all R62/A. Since 350 R142As are likely to come from the (6) for the (7), they mind as well send the remaining Westchester R142As to the (3) just in case the (3) do occasional swapping w/ the (4) But anything, even the unpredictable could happen though.

Might be, but during the movie shoot, there was a real R142A set at Grand Central Station on the (7)

They might link up the sets into 5-car units. I don't think there will be rfws. In the beginning when not as many singles are connected there might be such opportunities, but in the end I don't think it'll last.

I think they'll keep singles around to eventually replace the work service R33WF trains.

The R-142 is really a R-62 with more edges, it won't have trouble running on the (7) Line, as for the R-62 that is getting displaced from the R-142 and R-188's coming in, the R-62 will generally go on the (4) and (6) Lines but there is always a possbility of it going on the (2) and (5) as a fill-in or such...

Um...no it's not. They're completely two different car types. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Um...no it's not. They're completely two different car types. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Exactly, while their physical specifications may be similar such as loading gauge and height, they have different motors and everything. One is a NTT and the other is from the 1980s. Completely different.

Sure would. Looking at the roster, Corona Yard has 409 cars of R62As for the (7). Westchester Yard has 460 cars of R142As for the (6).

So if anything, the (6) would be losing cars, unless a few sets of R142As stay on the (6).

Remember, when the R142/As were coming in, the (6) had Redbirds and 62s running on the line, so the extra cars from the (3) were basically like replacements for the Redbirds that would've went over from the (6) to the (7).

If anything, Those R142A's from the (4), R142S would be the 1st ones to go to the (7), Because they were built with a CBTC kit and they were.

About the R62A's going Back to the (6) I doubt because of the politics but you never know, I think we should wait and see.

I still doubt the 'politics' issue. If people don't like it then tough. The trains are there just to get ppl to point B. They don't like it then they can drive or cram themselves onto the (5). But as for the order of cars going, that's probably right about it being the ones on the (4) first.

I think they'll keep singles around to eventually replace the work service R33WF trains.

1909 or some other 1900 car was scrapped, so that's one set that will never be a 5-car set and those 4 cars could be used as work cars. But as for the rest, there's no reason to keep them as singles.

I meant the R-142 are 'R-62 sized cars' with slightly more edges, it is not like it is going to be the same as R-62, :)...

WHAT ON EARTH do you mean by "slightly more edges"??????

Archived