Where will the R62As go when the R188s go?

I heard that the R62A's might be sent to the (6) but it may be a rumor. They might also be retired. At this point, it's still to early to tell.

I don't get it honestly.I'm hearing R142A's are too tall to fit in the tubes.If that's the case then use the R142's and equip them with CBTC.But however if that's not true about the 142A's being too tall then the (4) will receive 62A's back since 7731-7810 is CBTC equipped already.But I don't want that on the (4) I want the 62's which are better but don't have a RFW.

Retiring the 62A's would be stupid anyway those are great cars in great condition they'll stick around for another 15yrs or so.

I don't get it honestly.I'm hearing R142A's are too tall to fit in the tubes.If that's the case then use the R142's and equip them with CBTC.But however if that's not true about the 142A's being too tall then the (4) will receive 62A's back since 7731-7810 is CBTC equipped already.But I don't want that on the (4) I want the 62's which are better but don't have a RFW.

Retiring the 62A's would be stupid anyway those are great cars in great condition they'll stick around for another 15yrs or so.

You heard wrong, because if that were the case, they wouldnt have been using a real R142/A set while filming the Pelham 123 movie, and also they wouldnt've have ran in and out of the tunnel with no issues other than the power issues.

Would that be enough? Especially since the R62As from the (6) before wasn't only sent to the (7) but the (3)s as well.

Sure would. Looking at the roster, Corona Yard has 409 cars of R62As for the (7). Westchester Yard has 460 cars of R142As for the (6).

So if anything, the (6) would be losing cars, unless a few sets of R142As stay on the (6).

Remember, when the R142/As were coming in, the (6) had Redbirds and 62s running on the line, so the extra cars from the (3) were basically like replacements for the Redbirds that would've went over from the (6) to the (7).

It'll make more since if put put 409 R62As from the (7) on the (4) and 410 R142/A's from the (4) on the (6). Plus the (Q) (hopefully they change it to the (N)) extension to 96th St should be completed by that time and relieve some pressure off the (4).

Well it's sort of close enough. That's the best I could do though at this time. When I come to New York later this year hopefully I might have a little fun.

Well how do they bring trains onto the Corona line from the rest of the system? :P well via the Astoria line ;)

Would that be enough? Especially since the R62As from the (6) before wasn't only sent to the (7) but the (3)s as well.
With the R188s, there would be a surplus of trains. The thing then would be what to do with the extra cars.
by the time the R188's go, the R62A's will be long gone lol

R62As will still be around by at least 2024 which would make them ~ 40. So unless the R188s comes after that time frame, there will be nothing leaving.

What's the difference b/w the R142s and R142As? They are basically the same framewise. Plus you'd have to move trains from the (2)/(5) and add another group to deal with in the fleet swaps. That makes no sense.

R62As would likely go to the (6) since they have the led signs for local or express. (4) needs the R142/As as they have wider doors and carries more ppl due to not having unused cabs taking up space.

As I said to error, nothing is going to be retired. The R62As will last at least 40 years which won't be till like 2024 when they would start to retire [heck they could be kept a bit longer and maybe run 50 years like the R32s to save money on not buying new trains.

To be honest, I feel personally a line like the (1) and (3) will get those cars because the (6) riders would lose there minds if they lost their cars to the (7) in exchange for R62As with less tech (ie: automated PA Announcer, time and next stop) and less space with the small width cabs taking space when you need space in the cars on the crowded Lexington Avenue Line. The (1) already has R62As and they would be okay with extras. The (3) would be ok because the riders are used to simular cars like that in the R62. I cant see the (6) getting those cars

It would be cool to see R62As on the (4) and (6), but I cant fathom the angry reation if they lose their High Tech Cars to the 7. Think of it in baseball terms, it is like trading away Tim Lincecum to get Jamie Moyer.

The (7) needs them more, the (6)<6> riders will merely deal with it.

Archived