MTA nixed our bid to save $35M and workers' jobs, says transit union chief; Read more

ditja

yup. Same here. Gonna be a big ol' reunion tomorrow.

I wonder what kind of give backs we were gonna have to see from our paychecks.. No details on that. But to be honest, that's complete BS. The federal and state government is suppose to fund the MTA. Not it's employees. If they were to even consider that, the employees should have the right to vote on something like that. I'm glad they didn't go through with that.

Whatever agreement they do come to, if there is no reinstatement of the no-layoff clause, I won't be coming back. They will just agree on something for a time being, then next year, back to layoffs. I'll take my chances elsewhere.

FU MTA. Am I disgruntled, yeah.. just a little bit.

Tha only thing I can think of is tha (MTA) doing what NJ Transit currently doe's which is bringing everone back as Parttime Bus Operators and when vacancies open up promote them to full time thats something tha union should have agreed to along with a Consolidated Bus senority list to send people where ever man power is needed

You are right it will be a reunion- you guys are going in tomorrow and we are going in Friday. It will be a sad sight! As to if they hire back- I will go back, till then- I will ride out with the unemployment train. GL to all you guys in your future endeavors. :tup:

Well I guess I got about less than 45 days or so on the job left. This just goes to show you how treacherous Walder and the MTA are. They want to give our souls in the process of concessions. I knew those:mad: talks were going to break down to this. I didn't even hold my breath about this topic.

dont worry dude, they're gonna screw the newborns like me wayyy before they let you guys go on the unemployment line. Samuelsen just HAS TO wait to see if the (MTA) gets the federal funding to save EVERYBODY. could you imagine if he gave concessions and then the (MTA) got the money?

Samuelsen just HAS TO wait to see if the (MTA) gets the federal funding to save EVERYBODY. could you imagine if he gave concessions and then the (MTA) got the money?

Even if the MTA got the federal funding I doubt highly it will stop any job cuts. All the rumors I hear is any federal funding they get will go towards capital projects.

If they got their $35 million and brought back all of the workers, what would happen with the service reductions? They would've gone through all of this confusion for a few weeks just to restore the service later. That doesn't make any sense.

I would assume that a lot of the service reductions are being made through attrition (not replacing workers who retire) before actual layoffs. Does anybody know how many workers are being laid off as a result of these service reductions and what they would be doing if the $35 million kept them on the payroll (I highly doubt they would restore the service)?

As for the people who are being laid off, I wish them the best of luck in finding a job in these economic times.

As for the people who are being laid off, I wish them the best of luck in finding a job in these economic times.

i know this is off topic but i just wanna throw in one thing to feel like i helped the laid off workers. the TSA is hiring Security Officers at JFK (application due tomorrow) and LaGuardia Airports (app due July 26th). this is a part-time permanent position with federal benefits, starting at $15.74/hr. New York State Courts is hiring Court Assistants (app due July 13th), starting at $44,504/yr plus location bonus. the TSA job has physical requirements and the Courts job requires at least 2 years of "clerical work experience" if you dont have 60 college credits. or 4 years clerical work experience if you dont have a high school diploma

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=88317082&JobTitle=Transportation+Security+Officer+(TSO)&lid=543&sort=rv%2c-dtex&cn=&rad_units=miles&brd=3876&pp=50&jbf574=HSBC&vw=b&re=134&FedEmp=N&FedPub=Y&caller=basic.aspx&ss=0&AVSDM=2010-06-24+20%3a48%3a00

https://iapps-oc.courts.state.ny.us/OC/Application;jsessionid=B5EADA7451E9B3DA611B59E0F5C6C748.server27124

Archived