Fate of 8277 and it's motorman

Hey. I tried to seach for this, but there doesn't seem to be any info on this (I even looked in the forum's archives).

From Wikipedia: On June 21, 2006, an eight-car R143 train overshot the bumper at the end of the tracks in the Canarsie Yard after the operator suffered a seizure. Lead car #8277 suffered significant damage and has been stripped of damaged parts for repair. It is currently at the Kawasaki plant in Yonkers while the rest of the set (8278-8280) is at the 207th Street Yard. It is not known when these cars will return to service.

My questions: What happened to the motorman? I remember the story being played on the news, but I don't remember the fate of the t/o. Is he still with the (MTA)?

Whats going to happen to the 8277 set? Was she reefed? Could 8278 possibly be a new A car? Is the information given above accurate?

Hey. I tried to seach for this, but there doesn't seem to be any info on this (I even looked in the forum's archives).

My questions: What happened to the motorman? I remember the story being played on the news, but I don't remember the fate of the t/o. Is he still with the (MTA)?

Whats going to happen to the 8277 set? Was she reefed? Could 8278 possibly be a new A car? Is the information given above accurate?

The set at 207 is completely stripped out and has been parted out. Don't know what is going to be done with the cars. They all got bent frames.

The set at 207 is completely stripped out and has been parted out. Don't know what is going to be done with the cars. They all got bent frames.

Who told you that, only the lead car had bent frame.

Forgot who, but someone told me that all cars had some kind of frame damage years back.

Maybe they got it wrong, I was under them last summer and the 3 cars are ok (except for items that have been stripped off). Next time I go up town, I'll ask one f the shop supers.

Hopefully 8277 will be repaired and see civilian passengers inside of them again unlike 1054 and 941 (R46's) which never again saw civilian passengers inside of them after 6/4/86.

I also remember about the motorperson on nycsubway.org. He had a seizure while berthing the train at Rockaway Parkway

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Chrystie Street Cut said he was told they all had bent frames, my though was there might have been anticlimber damage at the ends from the sudden stop, and that they had thought the anti-climbers were part of the soild frame piece.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the anti-climbers connected to the truck itself?

And what does the anti-climber do?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the anti-climbers connected to the truck itself?

The anti-climber is on the front of the car, it's that metal thing with with ridges. What it is meant to do is prevent the cars from telescoping in a collision.

It is attached to the end of the car. It gets its name "anticlimber" because it is designed to line up directly with the anticlimber of another car in the event of a collision. Since both are made of extremely hardened steel, they bear the brunt of the force of the impact and serve as the crumple zone. This, as INDman said, prevents the ends from telescoping. In addition, the anticlimbers get their name because they prevent one car from "riding over" the other in the event of a collision, which would cause intrusion into one car by the other and significantly increase the risk of serious passenger injuries and deaths.

Quick Question is the other 4 cars in the other half of the damaged set 8car pair still in use?

Yup, they had very little to no damage at all...just 8277-8280 was the ones (mainly 8277) that bore the impact.

The anti-climber is on the front of the car, it's that metal thing with with ridges. What it is meant to do is prevent the cars from telescoping in a collision.
It is attached to the end of the car. It gets its name "anticlimber" because it is designed to line up directly with the anticlimber of another car in the event of a collision. Since both are made of extremely hardened steel, they bear the brunt of the force of the impact and serve as the crumple zone. This, as INDman said, prevents the ends from telescoping. In addition, the anticlimbers get their name because they prevent one car from "riding over" the other in the event of a collision, which would cause intrusion into one car by the other and significantly increase the risk of serious passenger injuries and deaths.

Ok thanks for the info. I think I know what you guys are talking about now but can someone show a pic so I can be sure

Here's another photo. This particular photo is of two R46's that had a fender bender at Steinway Street in 1997.

img_5802.jpg

For reference to the issue of telescoping, this is a photo from the Woodley Park incident. A perfect example of what anti-climbers are suppose to prevent.

NTSB-Woodley-Park-Accident.png

Archived