Surcharge for Metrocards?

Dave160

This should have been implemented long ago. Yeah $5 surcharge for sure. I always had thought that people buy new MetroCards instead of just refilling the old one and it wastes a lot of plastic.

To take this to a whole new level, I'm thinking scrap the pay per ride and offer the daily/weekly/14 day/monthly/ maybe even yearly MetroCard. Personalize the cards for insurance like aforementioned but of course have more durable higher quality cards if possible. This stops the litter of used cards and saves money/materials for MTA and natural resources. Going green.

^ There is actually a testing plan happening right now for the Lexington Ave line (4)(5)(6) all stops in Manhattan and Court Street Borough Hall and 3 Ave 138 St Grand Concourse where you use your specialized cards. And M101, M102, M103, M73, M79, M86 buses You need to join the MTA contactless fare payment pilot. You scan your card at the laser readers and you can simply turn the turnstile. I saw it just today on the above ads on the downtown (2). I'm suprised there is not a thread on this.

Adding a surcharge in the name of curbing litter is bull, people pollute it's a fact of life. The NY subway stations will always look like crap, they are homeless condos for f***s sake.

Why the hell shoud I have to shoulder the cost of a failing system everytime I change out my faded ass card for a fresh one? This is complete bulls***. The MTA should be happy I don't beat the fare and that should be the end of it.

Adding a surcharge in the name of curbing litter is bull, people pollute it's a fact of life. The NY subway stations will always look like crap, they are homeless condos for f***s sake.

Why the hell shoud I have to shoulder the cost of a failing system everytime I change out my faded ass card for a fresh one? This is complete bulls***. The MTA should be happy I don't beat the fare and that should be the end of it.

It's not bull...how many perfectly good metrocards do you scattered throughout the subway on the platform and at readers...many...go to any other city that charges for their cards and this does not happen DC, ATL...

You want it to remain status quo...then you can be responsible for cleaning the cards at ever subway station to retain your privildge of getting a new card whenever you want, even if your old one is perfectly good.

Hm, in Japan, you must keep your card and treat it like a credit card or something important. There is a $5 deposit for getting a new card (It didn't bother me - less litter). The card looked sturdy like a credit card and not filmsy like ours...

I'm fine as long as they don't get rid of unlimited. I'll just treat it like a student ID or whatever..

By that logic, the (MTA) shouldn't bother cleaning their trains and stations.

Btw, metrocards aren't a fashion statement. If the card works then why not continue to use it?

So are you saying that (MTA) should not have unlimited metrocards? Why should people who own unlimited metrocards suffer because you couldn't take your lazy ass to a metrocard machine and choose refill instead of get new card.

The fact that (MTA) is debating the removal of unlimited shows how badly run the agency is.

So are you saying that (MTA) should not have unlimited metrocards? Why should people who own unlimited metrocards suffer because you couldn't take your lazy ass to a metrocard machine and choose refill instead of get new card.

How do you know the card still worked?

Archived