Them R-40's are dangerous!!!

N-Trizzy2609

Riding the subway today in the city, I was riding those old slant subway cars (R-40S) on the (Q) when I decided to cross cars. I opened the door and walked across the front platform while the train stood at the station and what do you know, the other door is lock. I was like ok, so I went back and now that door wouldn't budge! The train began to move! I was at the slanted end and boy was it scary. Now the train is going top speed over the Manhattan Bridge and I'm screaming for my life between two subway cars swaying back and forth!!! I swore, people on the road deck were staring at me and trying to get the conductor's attention. Well at DeKalb Avenue, my ex (who I was with) finally found me between the cars and pried the door open. And well, I was clinging to the chains that held the trains together.

Funny thing is, the conductor told me I pick the worst train car in the system to cross since those doors were always getting stuck. (Can't tell you exactly what car #) I found out the door was stuck because a piece of rust got in the way of the door's sliding path. I had my heart in my throat but thank god, Gia was there to console me. After, we got off at Prospect Park and enjoyed the rest of the day.

One thing that still puzzles me why is a R-40 on the (Q)? and why did that train didn't get that problem corrected before? I swore on my life, that really happened.

I tried to switch cars in a R40 Slant also, but the door was stuck, so I didn't bother... Instead I went the safe way and got off at the platform to switch cars :D

Good thing I didn't use it though, otherwise I'd be flying through that express track between W4 and 34th Street... Wouldn't want to try that :eek:

Riding the subway today in the city, I was riding those old slant subway cars (R-40S) on the (Q) when I decided to cross cars. I opened the door and walked across the front platform while the train stood at the station and what do you know, the other door is lock. I was like ok, so I went back and now that door wouldn't budge! The train began to move! I was at the slanted end and boy was it scary. Now the train is going top speed over the Manhattan Bridge and I'm screaming for my life between two subway cars swaying back and forth!!! I swore, people on the road deck were staring at me and trying to get the conductor's attention. Well at DeKalb Avenue, my ex (who I was with) finally found me between the cars and pried the door open. And well, I was clinging to the chains that held the trains together.

Funny thing is, the conductor told me I pick the worst train car in the system to cross since those doors were always getting stuck. (Can't tell you exactly what car #) I found out the door was stuck because a piece of rust got in the way of the door's sliding path. I had my heart in my throat but thank god, Gia was there to console me. After, we got off at Prospect Park and enjoyed the rest of the day.

One thing that still puzzles me why is a R-40 on the (Q)? and why did that train didn't get that problem corrected before? I swore on my life, that really happened.

I noticed that last year on the R62A's on the (1). You could EXIT the car, but the door was locked from the outside going INTO the next car. Was true of 3 cars in a row, on several trains, I "tested" both sides with the train stopped. Of course if I need to pass between cars that I'm always careful to keep the door open behind me so it won't lock behind me, but I could see how on the R40 slant that wouldn't really be possible. That's also why they put the beams on the slant ends, because when the cars first came out they had only a hip high railing which was VERY dangerous for people walking between cars because they could fall right over it. But anyway Nowadays I don't do it nearly as much unless I really need to get out of a particular car for a reason...

anyway I'm glad your allright and also glad that you didn't wind up with a ticket for crossing cars. That's been a good way of getting folks with Priors so they're going to keep doing it, plus the average rider doesn't have the good common sense to use the grab irons (or in the case of the R40, the beams) for support when walking between cars...see the people who "dashed" "look mommy no hands" between cars on the nostalgia arnines...but glad to see the C/R was just willing to let it slide and figured you'd learned the lesson...

Being from RTO i cannot stress this enough PLEASE do not walk between those cars, espiecally while the train is moving..

I seen the cops at Stillwell pull people right off a train just sitting while they move between the cars.

You slip and fall thats a potenial 12-9 waiting to happen and we dont want that now do we?

That's a scary story... I think I wouldn't worry much about the cops or a ticket in that situation but simply about my health and not falling down. I did cross cars last year on the R-42s and it was no problem, but the thought of being stuck between cars... :D

Archived