No Court Yesterday :(

EE Broadway Local

The court that is requesting your service mails you a two part summons. The top part you retain (includes reporting date and time and your juror badge). The bottom part is a questionaire you fill out and return.

Then on the day before your service you call after 4:30pm and listen to the recording. Depending on what's happening, your group can be asked to appear at 8am; 8:30am or 9am, asked to call back at 11am (for a 1pm or 1:30pm appear) or be released (either at 4:30pm or 11am).

In Arizona, if your group is not released and you do a no-show without a valid excuse, you can be found in contempt of court and/or fined up to $500.00.

My group was released at 4:30pm Wednesday July 14th and didn't have to appear at Superior Court for Jury Duty on Thursday July 15th.

Have you ever been summoned to appear for Jury Duty?

I did 2 years ago, sat in a room for 6 1/2 hours and I didnt get picked to go for Jury Duty, best $45 dollars made ever.

I did 2 years ago, sat in a room for 6 1/2 hours and I didnt get picked to go for Jury Duty, best $45 dollars made ever.

Cait Sith, you are blessed. In Arizona, if your group is called to appear, you're compensated for mileage only (44.5 cents per mile) or your bus ride. If you're selected to serve as a juror for a trial, your juror pay is $12 per day plus mileage or your bus ride. (About the equivalent of $1.25 per hour)

same situation as CaitSith... except I had to appear two days (b/c my name wasn't called, the first day I went), and it was further ago (back in 2005 or 6, can't remember)... I aint get picked for a case either...

luckily I wasn't working yet... so lost wages wadn't an issue....

same situation as CaitSith... except I had to appear two days (b/c my name wasn't called, the first day I went), and it was further ago (back in 2005 or 6, can't remember)... I aint get picked for a case either...

luckily I wasn't working yet... so lost wages wadn't an issue....

So imagine the working person who cant afford to take a day off and the has to go thru this. Can they arrest you for not replying to the letters?

So imagine the working person who cant afford to take a day off and the has to go thru this. Can they arrest you for not replying to the letters?

from what I understand...

usually if you no-show for jury duty, you have to pay a fine... IINM, it's around 200 bucks in NYC...

they say you are subjected to civil or criminal penalties... you actually can get an FTA warrant out for your arrest, but that's not all that common....

edit:

FTA = failure to appear

from what I understand...

usually if you no-show for jury duty, you have to pay a fine... IINM, it's around 200 bucks in NYC...

they say you are subjected to civil or criminal penalties... you actually can get an FTA warrant out for your arrest, but that's not all that common....

edit:

FTA = failure to appear

I'll get the tooth brush ready.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way New York is worded:

Quote:

Q: What happens if a juror does not report for jury service?

A: Jury duty, like paying taxes, is mandatory. Skipping jury duty can result in criminal or civil penalties. In addition, anyone who skips jury service will be assigned a new date for future jury service.

Archived