(M) Train Riders See Silver Lining

Sea Beach

The (N)(W) still had back ups waiting to turn trains durning the Rush....its the same thing.....

Nah, this new (Q) thing is a whole different animal. The (W), yea you had the occasional backup into Astoria Blvd and Ditmars, but never to the extent where (W)s were running via the express track during delays on a near regular basis. The new (N)(Q) pattern severely messes up service going into Astoria.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That the weekend not the weekday rush hour, and sure people are probably damn confused...I bet everytime that Special (J) pulled into Chambers Street the Crews has to run thru the train every time telling dozens of people to exit...I bet the conductor gets no breaks at each stop of people running up asking loads of questions...Now you take that and multiply it by 10 that will be the Rush Hour....

Brighton does not warrant direct lower manhattan service the transfer was sufficent enough with the (R) and (Mx) they might be complaining now having to deal with just the (R).....

Anyway with the "special (J)" as you call it, how is it going to run on the EL...I take it on the Express because the local would screw with your precious Skip A Stop...but then were's the demand for Skip-A-Stop when everyone on the (J)/(Z) east of BJ is going to transfer to the "Special (J)" at BJ for the Express Ride...then you will have empty (J)/(Z) trains west of BJ with tons of capacity because their still doing Skip A Stop....

and with the MTA cash strapped their not going for empty trains running around..

Think about what you're proposing.....Plus the (J)/(Z), Special (J) and the (M)is going to create a clusterf**k at Marcy all trying to merge to get over the bridge....again making Skip A Stop USELESS!

These (J)s run local along Broadway in Brooklyn and terminate at Broadway Junction...risers along Broadway between Myrtle and Marcy no longer have a train to get to Lower Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn for the matter in the peak direction of the rush. And these (J)s will not interfere with skip-stop at all because it will have its own schedule, separate from the regular skip-stop (J)/(Z).

Wait wait wait I'm missing something here...

Special (J) would be local in S Brooklyn...Local in Manhattan...Local from Marcy to BJ...Making ALL STOPS?

the regular (J)/(Z) would still run the same service pattern as it does today during the Rush?

let me know if i have this right...

If so...No way on earth does this work.....First Special (J) entering Broad from South Brooklyn disrupts the Skip A Stop.....2nd People are going to be pissed during the Rush that they got on the Special (J) making all stops rather than the Skip A Stop.....3rd Special (J) and (M) are going to delay the (J)/(Z) with the crossing they need to do at Myrtle.....4th People are going to mad as hell if they have to exit the Special (J) at BJ and wait for another (J)

Like I said I must be missing something.....

Wait wait wait I'm missing something here...

Special (J) would be local in S Brooklyn...Local in Manhattan...Local from Marcy to BJ...Making ALL STOPS?

the regular (J)/(Z) would still run the same service pattern as it does today?

let me know if i have this right...

The normal (J)/(Z) skip-stop will be left alone. This Special (J) will run rush hours and operate Local along Broadway in Brooklyn, Local in Manhattan and Express along the Brighton line to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn. The headways will be every 15 minutes as this is a limited service pattern...and at the headways the (J) and (Z) run at the moment (ten minutes for the (J) and ten minutes for the (Z)) and the stations this (J) will serve (stopping at only four skip-stop stations between Myrtle and Broadway Junction), normal (J) and (Z) service won't be impacted at all.

The normal (J)/(Z) skip-stop will be left alone. This Special (J) will run rush hours and operate Local along Broadway in Brooklyn, Local in Manhattan and Express along the Brighton line to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn.

1. Why does the Brighton Line need more service? The whole point of the "special (J)" is to help 4 Av Local riders.

2. If Brighton riders needed LoMan, they would have gone crying to the MTA.

3. If you try to cram another service into the tunnel between Prospect Park and Dekalb, you're going to cause delays.

The normal (J)/(Z) skip-stop will be left alone. This Special (J) will run rush hours and operate Local along Broadway in Brooklyn, Local in Manhattan and Express along the Brighton line to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn.

Nope you cannot operate an ALL LOCAL and Skip A Stop on the same tracks....That will NOT WORK...Something has to use the Express.

And please stop thanking everyone, as if its going to get me to back down.....I get that people on this board are more for tradition than change...no one likes change, but its the nature of the beast wit the current day MTA....change happens...

Did you thank everyone that agreed with you about keeping (Mx) over the (Mx)/(V) combo and the MTA did just the opposite anyway. Doesnt mean its not going to happen as has been proven by the new (M)

1. Why does the Brighton Line need more service? The whole point of the "special (J)" is to help 4 Av Local riders.

3. If you try to cram another service into the tunnel between Prospect Park and Dekalb, you're going to cause delays.

Fourth Avenue doesn't need two Lower Manhattan services. The only thing that would need to be done is to increase (R) trains by a margin to make up for the loss of (Mx) service, although the trains needed now isn't as equal as the amount of trains the (R) and (Mx) ran combined before the cuts (16 TPH then compared to the 10 TPH today).

Fourth Avenue doesn't need two Lower Manhattan services. The only thing that would need to be done is to increase (R) trains by a margin to make up for the loss of (Mx) service, although the trains needed now isn't as equal as the amount of trains the (R) and (Mx) ran combined before the cuts (16 TPH then compared to the 10 TPH today).

So increase (R) service and be done with it! No need for the (J) via Brighton or the <R> or whatever.

And to add to that we've established (i think) that 4th ave local doesn't need help. If the special J was gonna be extended south the last place I'd put it is on Brighton. With the (Q) and (B) both running local its a train like every 3-5 minutes.

Nope you cannot operate an ALL LOCAL and Skip A Stop on the same tracks....That will NOT WORK...Something has to use the Express.

And please stop thanking everyone, as if its going to get me to back down.....I get that people on this board are more for tradition than change...no one likes change, but its the nature of the beast wit the current day MTA....change happens...

Did you thank everyone that agreed with you about keeping (Mx) over the (Mx)/(V) combo and the MTA did just the opposite anyway. Doesnt mean its not going to happen as has been proven by the new (M)

First off, I don't like the new (M) routing. Even if I did, it would have made more sense to keep the route as (V). Second off, it seems as if you don't know the daily operations of the MTA to know what passengers want. And third off. I can thank whoever I want. If you don't like that, then too bad. I agree with somebody if they bring up a reasonable point and I'll give them a "thanks". If I don't like their opinion, I'll say why.

You're getting hyped for no reason. Take a chill pill already. Skip-stop isn't going anywhere so get over yourself about this hatrid you have with skip-stop already, it's getting old as the days of the JFK Express!!!

But I've already told you why extra (R) service cannot be done with out change to the (N) and (Q) and the MTA is not about to Screw with those to lines again and so soon....

So come up with something else instead beating that dead horse....4 AV needs and is demanding more service, something Brighton is not doing.

and to serve the entire rush hour along 4 AV you need more than marginal (R) service...its not like the (R) is only going to Whitehall and turning.....These ®'s will have to travel all the way to 71st and reverse....you will need atleast 6 additional TPH to serve the full rush hour.

And to add to that we've established (i think) that 4th ave local doesn't need help. If the special J was gonna be extended south the last place I'd put it is on Brighton. With the (Q) and (B) both running local its a train like every 3-5 minutes.

But Brighton is not crying about more Service...why are you giving more service to a place does not need or warrant it....Brighton seems to be plenty happy with the (B) and (Q)

But I've already told you why extra (R) service cannot be done with out change to the (N) and (Q) and the MTA is not about to Screw with those to lines again and so soon....

Most of the time, (Q)s are so delayed, they run express, bypassing the ENTIRE (well, almost) ASTORIA LINE!!! That's not right...is it?

So come up with something else instead beating that dead horse....4 AV needs and is demanding more service, something Brighton is not doing.

Okay...let's assume that 4 Av needs some more service.

and to serve the entire rush hour along 4 AV you need more than marginal (R) service...its not like the (R) is only going to Whitehall and turning.....These ®'s will have to travel all the way to 71st and reverse....you will need atleast 6 additional TPH to serve the full rush hour.

How about they go to City Hall, fumigate, then go to the Canal Street express tracks, reverse, and go back south?

But Brighton is not crying about more Service...why are you giving more service to a place does not need or warrant it....Brighton seems to be plenty happy with the (B) and (Q)

Do you not read???

" the last place I'd put it is on Brighton" means he would NOT put it there!:mad:

Sorry for the double post.

First off, I don't like the new (M) routing. Even if I did, it would have made more sense to keep the route as (V). Second off, it seems as if you don't know the daily operations of the MTA to know what passengers want. And third off. I can thank whoever I want. If you don't like that, then too bad. I agree with somebody if they bring up a reasonable point and I'll give them a "thanks". If I don't like their opinion, I'll say why.

You're getting hyped for no reason. Take a chill pill already. Skip-stop isn't going anywhere so get over yourself about this hatrid you have with skip-stop already, it's getting old as the days of the JFK Express!!!

Right and you said the same thing on the (Mx)/(V) combo thread that the (Mx) wasnt going anywhere. and look what happend. New (M)

I know plenty about the MTA and its working and how it thinks. Its you who comes off as sometype of Authority when someone takes a different position than you...calling them "dumb and idoits" when you have been proven wrong about what the MTA will do....again new (M)..

GET OVER YOURSELF - YOU NOT THE AUTHORITY YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THEY'LL DO and SKIP A STOP SURE AS HELL IS NOT SAFE....

I will be right here to see you eat CROW when that happens....

Most of the time, (Q)s are so delayed, they run express, bypassing the ENTIRE (well, almost) ASTORIA LINE!!! That's not right...is it?

Okay...let's assume that 4 Av needs some more service.

How about they go to City Hall, fumigate, then go to the Canal Street express tracks, reverse, and go back south?

The (Q) - They do this in the peak direction?????

4 Av - but then you holding up regular (R) service....Is the lower level of city hall accessible from the Uptown tracks? I can't rememeber...if so they could teminate the short turn (R) on the lower tracks.

hey i'm not the one proposing a special (J) here. I'm just sittin back and laughing at everyone who is and asking where the hell you gonna put it.

4 Av - but then you holding up regular (R) service....Is the lower level of city hall accessible from the Uptown tracks? I can't rememeber...if so they could teminate the short turn (R) on the lower tracks.

1. When there is a delay, Manhattan-bound (Q) trains (usually) run express on the Astoria Line. This happens very frequently.

2. http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigdowntown.png

®s arrive at City Hall UPPER LEVEL, discharge passengers, then reverse using the express tracks.B)

I've seen it in both directions. The last time I rode the (Q) to Astoria, the train ran on the express track going uptown, then back going downtown.

It's not connected, you're switching at Canal Street (which tracks don't look too good, the last I saw).

1. When there is a delay, Manhattan-bound (Q) trains (usually) run express on the Astoria Line. This happens very frequently.

2. http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigdowntown.png

®s arrive at City Hall UPPER LEVEL, discharge passengers, then reverse using the express tracks.B)

And what is causing the frequent delays???? this goes back to my claim about not being able to fit more ®'s on the Broadway Local....Is it (Q)'s waiting to Cross to the local from the express at 34th???? because of the (N) being on the Local now?....if they scale back the (Q)'s to 57th so they don't need to crossover or put the (N) back on the express than YES more (R) service can definitely be added...I would bet more likely the (N) would go back to the Express Track...

And what is causing the frequent delays???? this goes back to my claim about not being able to fit more ®'s on the Broadway Local....Is it (Q)'s waiting to Cross to the local from the express at 34th???? because of the (N) being on the Local now?....if they scale back the (Q)'s to 57th so they don't need to crossover or put the (N) back on the express than YES more (R) service can definitely be added...I would bet more likely the (N) would go back to the Express Track...

NO! It's the fact that Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard Station cannot handle so many trains!

NO! It's the fact that Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard Station cannot handle so many trains!

They then need to turn them faster...meaning no layover time....pull in and pull right back out like the (E) at Jamaica Center during the rush...is that happening?

They then need to turn them faster...meaning no layover time....pull in and pull right back out like the (E) at Jamaica Center during the rush...is that happening?

What about cleaning? I know for sure that trains are cleaned on the CI end. That either means that yes, trains go right in and right out or that cleaning is necessary on both ends.

Archived