Well.... Just Got Back From P.S.248!!!

Will-Bx-718

Well the union was out there pretty strong, I got a chance to meet Samuelson, he's a cool dude. I thanked him for all the efforts he put in to try and save people's jobs. Anyway the process was down right disgusting down there. They were checking people bags to see if they had guns or bombs on them and stuff. There was uniformed police, detectives, and body guards galore. They counted out all the uniforms and stuff you brang back and presented you with the infamous 7-Day unlimited card. And the royal smack in the face is they had our own CTA's collecting our uniforms and loading them onto a truck in the parking lot next to the train car. Also that preferred list was not established until today, so the people laid off in May were royally screwed. As their three months of unemployment didn't even count and they are still at the bottom half of that list. Also they claimed the preferred list is good for 4 years so if you took any promo exams they will call you when they reach your number and if any promo exams come out that you could have taken from your title you can still apply for. and they were saying that they are going to implement a stipulation for the medical were TA pays for you first month of cobra, to extend your benefits til Sept 30th. All and all it sucks now that everything is official, but it won't be long before I'm back on my feet. I thank all the brothers and sisters that voted yes, so that I could keep my benefits for at least 6 more months. So that is one less expense I have to worry about now.

Oh darn, sorry to know about the circumstances. You never recieving any customer complants (in reference to your previous posts) and you get the boot, that's unfair. What a crazy security check it must have been for you. I wish you nothing but the best.

Good luck Will. Hope every works out for the best. I heard they laid off everyone hired after june/2005.

Nah everyone after July 17th, 2005. So the class starting July 31st, 2005 and after got the boot. Except for people with previous TA service or prior city civil service or military time. The whole entire process of collecting their property was so impersonal and invasive. They had a check list and was counting shirts, ties,pants and every other uniform items one by one. They took back the epic pass, badge and escalator keys and handed me the 7-day unlimited card.

Nah everyone after July 17th, 2005. So the class starting July 31st, 2005 and after got the boot. Except for people with previous TA service or prior city civil service or military time. The whole entire process of collecting their property was so impersonal and invasive. They had a check list and was counting shirts, ties,pants and every other uniform items one by one. They took back the epic pass, badge and escalator keys and handed me the 7-day unlimited card.

will good luck.......everything will work itself out in the end...............

i told my friend that was in my july 18th,2005 class that they should be saying prayers, because they were very,very close to going,(there was talk of the last 3 who pick in the class possibly getting the layoff notices).....but now the question is, the people who started july 31st and got notices, do they get a pension(5 years to get the pension).........

will good luck.......everything will work itself out in the end...............

i told my friend that was in my july 18th,2005 class that they should be saying prayers, because they were very,very close to going,(there was talk of the last 3 who pick in the class possibly getting the layoff notices).....but now the question is, the people who started july 31st and got notices, do they get a pension(5 years to get the pension).........

NO!! they said it generally take 2 months from the time your hired before you become a active pension member. They said you need to have 5 years of active pension service not 5 years of work service. And if you did have 5 years you would have to wait til 59.5 to collect it. Also they said we have up to 5 years to leave it were it is and in the event we get called back that time will be credited to us. The way it looks and I got this from samuelson himself is we the top half of the layoff may get called back, but the bottom half not so likely. The preferred list was just established today and the clerks that were laid off may 11th just spent the last three months in limbo and not even on the preferred list until today. They said the preferred list holds a much higher precedent than any civil service list established for TA. In other words they will call us back to work before anyone is hired off the street, we'll see about that.

Well the union was out there pretty strong, I got a chance to meet Samuelson, he's a cool dude. I thanked him for all the efforts he put in to try and save people's jobs. Anyway the process was down right disgusting down there. They were checking people bags to see if they had guns or bombs on them and stuff. There was uniformed police, detectives, and body guards galore. They counted out all the uniforms and stuff you brang back and presented you with the infamous 7-Day unlimited card. And the royal smack in the face is they had our own CTA's collecting our uniforms and loading them onto a truck in the parking lot next to the train car. Also that preferred list was not established until today, so the people laid off in May were royally screwed. As their three months of unemployment didn't even count and they are still at the bottom half of that list. Also they claimed the preferred list is good for 4 years so if you took any promo exams they will call you when they reach your number and if any promo exams come out that you could have taken from your title you can still apply for. and they were saying that they are going to implement a stipulation for the medical were TA pays for you first month of cobra, to extend your benefits til Sept 30th. All and all it sucks now that everything is official, but it won't be long before I'm back on my feet. I thank all the brothers and sisters that voted yes, so that I could keep my benefits for at least 6 more months. So that is one less expense I have to worry about now.

I'll give Samuelson and union reps credit for being at P.S. 248. I'm sure some guys were pissed off at them but at least he had the balls to show up for "support" unlike any MTA empty suit. Maybe Toussaint should have been there too: the guy who gave up the no lay off clause.

Normally, they would. But walder is punishing us for not giving back stuff from the contract.

Yeah originally they were suppose to shift 150 S/A's to Cleaners leaving only 300 people laid off, but they decided to scrap that idea once the union challenged them, and took them to court delaying the lay off process and costing them more money.

• 2 weeks later...
How does the c/r promotional list work? It is crazy that transit s/a and cleaners aren't even qualify to take the promotional T/O exam without going through the certification process which takes over one year. Who came up with that, Dcas or Union? For what purpose?

I would guess both. the promotion ladder is separated into different departments transportation, maintenance and etc... and no one from one dept. can be promoted to another position in another dept.

Archived