SMS for the MK R42s

trainfan22

I'm kinda sad to see the R32s being scrapped as a railfanner. But my question is, what will replace the R32s on the (E) , (F), & (R) Lines? Hopefully its not those crappy R32s on the (A) and (C)....The ones on the other lines were my favorites. It was the only rolling stock set left with the hissing departing sound, before it was the R33-36 and R32 cars.

Phase I R32s will be sent to Jamaica from Pitkin......

There is also anther reason those R32s are being sent up there.....

Let me ask you one thing.

How the hell do you know the future?

And the R160 FIND isn't breaking down, it was never really up and running perfectly in the first place. Let them get it right first.

First off the R142/143/160s are made up of many computerized parts. Which will shorten thier lifespan and their are too fragile to last in the nyc subway. I seen an another OOS R143 today at CI yard and they had the door up where you can see inside the shop and there was nothing but R160s in there!!! No R68/As no R40s R160s!!! And yes i know that CI yard maintains them but everytime they leave the door up you always see more R160s in there getting fixed than R68/As.... If somebody that works at CI yard repair shop post here they will tell you that R160s come into their shop more often than R68/As do..

As for how do i know the future its simple common sence that a train with many computerized parts like 142/143/160 wont last as long as a old school SMEE train would. Which doesnt have as many computerized parts...

First off the R142/143/160s are made up of many computerized parts. Which will shorten thier lifespan and their are too fragile to last in the nyc subway. I seen an another OOS R143 today at CI yard and they had the door up where you can see inside the shop and there was nothing but R160s in there!!! No R68/As no R40s R160s!!! And yes i know that CI yard maintains them but everytime they leave the door up you always see more R160s in there getting fixed than R68/As.... If somebody that works at CI yard repair shop post here they will tell you that R160s come into their shop more often than R68/As do..

As for how do i know the future its simple common sence that a train with many computerized parts like 142/143/160 wont last as long as a old school SMEE train would. Which doesnt have as many computerized parts...

The reason why is beause they are inspecting the NEW r160s that have just came in and see if they are capable of lasting in (MTA). They have to do a test for every R160 that comes beacuse there might be one that's flawed and then....

great response R160B8713. This person has a grudge against the R160s. They are not breaking apart. Sure, there maybe a few problems with them, but they will eventually be sorted out. By the time your old and a next generation train car comes out to replace the R160s, you'll see the specialness in them.

1] I dont have a grudge against the R160s i like them. But its just people take it too far saying that they are better than SMEE trains when were they not.

2]These NTT have many problems like for example how do left handed T/Os operate an R143/160? A lot of left handed T/Os have been getting hurt because they have to reach over just to operate the damn thing. And plus the MTA has to pay an extra 600,000$ just to run them on the (J) line. I could go on on and on...

3]Theres is no specialness in R160s they are very boring to ride and have weak heat that climate conrol is BS. The ONLY reason why kinda like the R160s is because of the siemens populsion sound...

The reason why is beause they are inspecting the NEW r160s that have just came in and see if they are capable of lasting in (MTA). They have to do a test for every R160 that comes beacuse there might be one that's flawed and then....

Im talking about the shop on the 86th street side not the one facing the belt parkway. When a brand new train comes to get inspected go on the belt parkway side of the shop. The 86th street side of the shop cars from the (N)(:P(Q) and (W) lines is where cars form those lines get maintained....

1] I dont have a grudge against the R160s i like them. But its just people take it too far saying that they are better than SMEE trains when were they not.

2]These NTT have many problems like for example how do left handed T/Os operate an R143/160? A lot of left handed T/Os have been getting hurt because they have to reach over just to operate the damn thing. And plus the MTA has to pay an extra 600,000$ just to run them on the (J) line. I could go on on and on...

3]Theres is no specialness in R160s they are very boring to ride and have weak heat that climate conrol is BS. The ONLY reason why kinda like the R160s is because of the siemens populsion sound...

Your so full of $h!t its not even funny anymore. I'll let people who work on the inside and who've actually worked with these trains tell you off. It'll probably be a waste of time telling it to you, but its worth a try. I could, but it'll probably not mean much to you as it does coming from a T/O or who work on these trains.

You say you don't have a grudge, ha, don't make me laugh. Your almost like Phil with the things about the NTTs.

Ya, some of things you say are true, but some other things is just your BS.

Have a nice day.

Pretty much every type of new equipment in anything ever - your computer, your cell phone, your printer...even your car will typically have issues when it uses new technology. Half the battle of new technology is sorting out all the "kinks", hence if you use windows why they have you download all those "patches" and "fixes." Well right now they are fixing the issues with the NTT's, aka "patching" them and they will soon become reliable.

No one's arguing with the effectiveness of SMEE, it has to do more with the age of those cars - the R38's are rotting from the inside out due to those leaky roofs, and other cars have their fair share of problems too, which will only get WORSE as time goes on. Yes the NTT's problems may seem "worse" right now but they are at least fixable without overhauling the cars (which would require asbestos abatement in the cases of the older trains).

And re: RFW's, I like it as much as anyone but let's be real here...it's more important that the T/O and C/R are comfortable than me being more comfortable...plus I seen some real idiots around the RFW and the T/O's cab, T/O's do NOT like having it banged on and do NOT like people leaning on that door and are 100% right about all of that, I mean do you like being in a phone booth for up to an hour or more at a time, and worse yet having someone banging on the wall while you have to focus on a lot of different things? Didn't think so...

And yes, those R160 controllers ARE a problem, carpal tunnel syndrome is going to be a real problem. Too bad from what I hear they didn't ask anyone in RTO what they thought of the design before doing it.

3]Theres is no specialness in R160s they are very boring to ride and have weak heat that climate conrol is BS.

No, this statement is BS. The climate control on the R160's are good enough in most cases excellent. I rode them all summer long to work and back. Did you?

No, this statement is BS. The climate control on the R160's are good enough in most cases excellent. I rode them all summer long to work and back. Did you?

Don't forget winter!

Either way, I agree, the heating and the air-conditioning on the R160s are great. Rode them many times in the summer, air-conditioning was just dandy. Rode a few times in the winter and the heating was just dandy. Couldn't complain.

i did NOT say anything about the summer time Im talking about during the winter months it feels like the A/C is on. The old trains have better heat like the R68As on the (Q) and the R42s on the (J) the R160s heat is not that strong...

Your so full of $h!t its not even funny anymore. I'll let people who work on the inside and who've actually worked with these trains tell you off. It'll probably be a waste of time telling it to you, but its worth a try. I could, but it'll probably not mean much to you as it does coming from a T/O or who work on these trains.

You say you don't have a grudge, ha, don't make me laugh. Your almost like Phil with the things about the NTTs.

Ya, some of things you say are true, but some other things is just your BS.

Have a nice day.

First off your full of shit its already been said that it costs 600,000$ to CCTVs on the (J) line so you fail right there.

And left handed T/Os do have troble operating the R143/160s. because they have to reach over to operate the train.

Pretty much every type of new equipment in anything ever - your computer, your cell phone, your printer...even your car will typically have issues when it uses new technology. Half the battle of new technology is sorting out all the "kinks", hence if you use windows why they have you download all those "patches" and "fixes." Well right now they are fixing the issues with the NTT's, aka "patching" them and they will soon become reliable.

No one's arguing with the effectiveness of SMEE, it has to do more with the age of those cars - the R38's are rotting from the inside out due to those leaky roofs, and other cars have their fair share of problems too, which will only get WORSE as time goes on. Yes the NTT's problems may seem "worse" right now but they are at least fixable without overhauling the cars (which would require asbestos abatement in the cases of the older trains).

And re: RFW's, I like it as much as anyone but let's be real here...it's more important that the T/O and C/R are comfortable than me being more comfortable...plus I seen some real idiots around the RFW and the T/O's cab, T/O's do NOT like having it banged on and do NOT like people leaning on that door and are 100% right about all of that, I mean do you like being in a phone booth for up to an hour or more at a time, and worse yet having someone banging on the wall while you have to focus on a lot of different things? Didn't think so...

And yes, those R160 controllers ARE a problem, carpal tunnel syndrome is going to be a real problem. Too bad from what I hear they didn't ask anyone in RTO what they thought of the design before doing it.

People can bang the on the cab doors of R142/143/160s too. And its not just the R160 controllers its the R143 controllers too wheres left handed T/Os have to reach over. And these NTT have been in service seen since 1992 i think they would sorted out the bugs by now.

First off your full of shit its already been said that it costs 600,000$ to CCTVs on the (J) line so you fail right there.

And left handed T/Os do have troble operating the R143/160s. because they have to reach over to operate the train.

1. I didn't disagree with you or said you were wrong on the CCTV on the (J) so you fail.

2. T/Os are trained on those trains right? So, while in training they have to learn how to operate the train using their right hand. Having to reach over to operate with their left hand probably wouldn't get them qualified. In the end, if they're qualified, good. But they're just going to have to keep trying til they can be qualified. Hopefully a TA worker can elaborate better.

Again, have a nice day.

And yall people act these NTT are pefect and dont have any problems and every SMEE train is junk and needs to be retired. These NTT have been having their fair share of problems since they came into the system. Yall think just because its all new and shiny thats its better than the redbirds and R32-R68A fleets each which have proven to be great cars. The R142/143s have only been in the system for eight years and are already braking down and yet people say that these cars are better than SMEE trains. Old trains are more reliable than new trains. I would take an R40 with a roof full of ductape over an shiny new R160 anyday of the week.

People can bang the on the cab doors of R142/143/160s too. And its not just the R160 controllers its the R143 controllers too wheres left handed T/Os have to reach over. And these NTT have been in service seen since 1992 i think they would sorted out the bugs by now.

Yes, but seeing as the doors are 1) located further from the T/O and 2) people aren't standing RIGHT there as they can be at an RFW...it happens less often, plus the doors open in which allows the T/O to get out, he doesn't get caged in.

And read my post again regarding the controllers I think you'll be surprised by what you find, OK yes i forgot the R143's, but that's a PROBLEM that can be WORKED OUT, it's different than if the carbody were rotting now isn't it? I mean what costs more, change the cab layout to make it easier or T/O's or overhaul an entire carbody and get rid of the asbestos, then replace the brakes and fix all the dead motors showing up?

And the R110A and R110B were technically the first NTT's, yes, but the R142 and up use a lot of features and technologies not seen on those trains so it's not fair to say that, and a lot of times problems take a while to show up, just like with other technology like phones and computers...did you know that if you own a laptop, the expected life of your hard drive is approx. THREE years?

And no one is saying SMEE sucks, and no one is saying that the NTT's are perfect, or that they're good "because they're new and shiny" so i don't know where you're getting this from. In fact SMEE is pretty reliable but the CARS themselves need to go, they are almost 50 years old. I don't know if it's possible for anyone to get this through to you, given your whole the R32's are the best blah blah, but some of those cars aren't going to feel very safe when the leaks, even with the bonding tape have compromised the structural integrity of the carbody, and when the brakes slide and continue to get worse.

And before you bring up the redbirds again let me point out a tendency those cars had to GIVE INDICATION when parts of things or people were wedged in the doors, hence why there used to be more subway draggings than there are today. That's also a good reason for CCTV's in general...and $600K isn't that big of an investment considering the revenue the MTA brings in, it just has to be apportioned

Lest we forget we are talking about TRAINS they are not meant to run forever just like that '57 Chevy wasn't meant to either...if you don't like the NTT's fine, but you can't be serious that the old cars need to be kept around another 50 years...

thats all i got to say on this matter, im done

And yall people act these NTT are pefect and dont have any problems and every SMEE train is junk and needs to be retired. These NTT have been having their fair share of problems since they came into the system. Yall think just because its all new and shiny thats its better than the redbirds and R32-R68A fleets each which have proven to be great cars. The R142/143s have only been in the system for eight years and are already braking down and yet people say that these cars are better than SMEE trains. Old trains are more reliable than new trains. I would take an R40 with a roof full of ductape over an shiny new R160 anyday of the week.

You don't think it took the TA a decade to get used to the SMEEs?

People can bang the on the cab doors of R142/143/160s too. And its not just the R160 controllers its the R143 controllers too wheres left handed T/Os have to reach over.

So your saying that T/Os NEVER used their right hands to work R36-R42s? Gimme a break.

So your saying that T/Os NEVER used their right hands to work R36-R42s? Gimme a break.

You are not getting what im saying.

The R26/28/29s R32s R33ML R36WF R38s R40s R42s R62/As R68/As. Have a SEPRATE HANDLES FOR THE BRAKES AND MASTER CONROLLERS. On the SMEE trains its balnced out between the left and right hands. And its placed in the middle of the cab. Wheres the R143/160s has this conroller where its a brake handle and master conroller all in one. And its on the RIGHT SIDE wheres you cant which hands when operating them you always have to use your right hand to operate an R143/160. Where on a SMEE train its balnced out between the two hands.

I over looked this tread but better late then never. As a Current Train Operator that works the R42/143/160 every week I can answer a few things.

The R 42's are a piece of junk that needs to be scrapped. There are lots of problems on these trains because ENY is not keeping up with the maintance. Trains are being pulled from service on the regular because of unsafe things and I believe its one of the reasons besides ENY getting over loeaded with new trains that they are pushing the R 160's out on the (M) Line.

The R 143's are spending time in the shop over CBTC problems instead of problems with the train itself. The R 160's are in the shop for inspection since they under warrenty the company has to look at them along with car Equipment to make sure every thing is on the up and up. The R160A's are running great I never see them getting taken out of service for anything. my train of choice is the R 160 because the train moves and brakes good. The controller takes some getting use to. The only time it droves me nuts is when I am operating a R 143 in CBTC and I Leave Bedford Ave with a Work Zone in Progress which mean CBTC will keep me to 9MPH until I past the zone which is normally when I leave 1 AVE. Operating 9 MPH throu the whole river tube will hurt your wrist.

Well put Pelham Bay Dave. Unfortunately, your message will mean nothing to trainfan22. The R160s are crowding the yards because of inspections to prove the train can be used in service. If you don't inspect the train and the manufacturer felt kind of lazy with something, serious injuries can be the results.

Archived