How long do the 32's have left.

MainStreetBound7

With the R44s gone and a new order of subway cars not coming in for another half a decade, that would be the same amount of time the R32s (and R42s) have left...another five years.

And if it does happen too :(

Even tho it will

So this is a good time to start enjoying them before they go byebye in the next few yearz.

With the R44s gone and a new order of subway cars not coming in for another half a decade, that would be the same amount of time the R32s (and R42s) have left...another five years.

It's a smart move by the (MTA) to keep the R32's and R42's as mainly spares and back-up's for this reason. In previous orders most notably for the then-new R44 and R46's in the mid-1970's all developed problems and a few R46's had to be sent back to it's builders.

I don't think the R160's will get to that point, but in these tough economic times, why spend a Billion right now when now about 40% of the NYC subway fleet "B" Divison now has cars that are less than 5-6 years ago counting also the R 142's fleet as well.

On a personal note, I always felt that of subway cars bulit in the 1960's/'70's the R32, 42's and 46 were classic cars and the best. Thus the reason, they still around between 35-45 years later.

The R32/42 cars had received SMS. They can last five more years which is 2015. The only reason why they are the only American built cars and also one of the oldest cars are their stainless steel bodies that can last even longer then 50 years. The reason why most cars are gone is because they weren't composed of only stainless steel. They also composed of fiberglass and carbon which can last 40 years.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Well some people will just wait for enjoyment but when time runs out they will all go nuts about it being sent for its death. But mainly foamers.

I'm throwing a party once they're gone lol

The R32/42 cars had received SMS. They can last five more years which is 2015. The only reason why they are the only American built cars and also one of the oldest cars are their stainless steel bodies that can last even longer then 50 years. The reason why most cars are gone is because they weren't composed of only stainless steel. They also composed of fiberglass and carbon which can last 40 years.

They got the SMS already? Damn that was fast. Even so they have 5 years left

Still the R32/42/38's weren't always considered ugly like they are today. These are pictures I found on them when they were new and interesting. I really like the bright glare the new steel makes and how sharp and clear the cars look.

img_24519.jpg

R32

img_24540.jpg

R38

img_5478.jpg

R42

This one is my favorite picture of the R38's. It really shows how sharp and clear they use to be. Even better then the other ones.

img_47700.jpg

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I'm throwing a party once they're gone lol

They got the SMS already? Damn that was fast. Even so they have 5 years left

No they haven't. Have you rode the (C) or (J) as of late? They still look the same.

Watch that opinion.I'm hearing somethings about what line they want2 send the 32's to b\c some people are tired of these trains on that line.I'm not saying what line they will possibly goto but *hint keep your eyes on the B division subwaycar sets

(:(

Not that such is written in stone (or actually written anything), but I would say the safest bet would be to expect the R32s to be retired in 2013.

Andddd...they will be replaced by what? No new B division cars will not arrive until 2014 or 2015 at least but the 188's for the 7 are expected late 2013 and so on.

Obviously, if the R179s (or whatever they're called) aren't here yet, the R32/42s will stick around for longer. However, keep in mind that while R32/42s are in better shape than the recently-departed R44s, they do have an expiration date and we can't expect them to be around forever.

Though to remind you guys. The R44's are still alive on the SIR. They won't officially leave till 2015. The R46 would possibly live till at least 2020. The R68/A and the R62/A won't leave till 2026. One thing is certain. The R160A/B are holding up now. Though soon the rust dust would have an effect on them. They might not make it pass 20-26 years. They might be one of the youngest subway cars to leave the subway system. If the R32's are still holding up on 2015 and can live longer. Like lets say for another 20-30 years they should make a black LCD display sign on the front and the sides like the R160's and paint them in the colors and looks of them when they were new in the system. If it's possible redo the interior to match the R160B, and program the announcements. The LCD side displays would be located on the same location as the R160's. The original signs would be taken off. Also new propulsion would be added. They could be labeled the R32B and the original R32's would be called R32A.

I highly doubt that the (MTA) is gonna do anything with the R32s besides making sure they last for the next few years. What you're talking about roadcruiser is a complete rebuild of the cars, something that would cost millions if not billions of dollars. Why would they retrofit 50 year old cars at a premium cost when they could just buy new ones at a relatively cheaper price.

Though to remind you guys. The R44's are still alive on the SIR. They won't officially leave till 2015. The R46 would possibly live till at least 2020. The R68/A and the R62/A won't leave till 2026.

R46: 1975+40 years=2015. That means that the R179s will have to replace the R46s as well, or they will have to stay past their lifetimes.

R62:1983+40 years= 2023.

R68:1986+40 years= 2026.

One thing is certain. The R160A/B are holding up now. Though soon the rust dust would have an effect on them. They might not make it pass 20-26 years. They might be one of the youngest subway cars to leave the subway system. If the R32's are still holding up on 2015 and can live longer.

What makes you think they will die in 20 years? The dust will be the same as with any other car, and cars have survived for over 50 years in a few cases.

Like lets say for another 20-30 years they should make a black LCD display sign on the front and the sides like the R160's and paint them in the colors and looks of them when they were new in the system. If it's possible redo the interior to match the R160B, and program the announcements. The LCD side displays would be located on the same location as the R160's. The original signs would be taken off. Also new propulsion would be added. They could be labeled the R32B and the original R32's would be called R32A.

You're trying to convince me that the MTA would rebuild the R32s to make them last 70 years? Get real.

Archived