driving test

scapone

how hard is the driving test for class b license from dmv

Not that hard at all if you are relaxed and confident on the day of the CDL road test. Sure the DMV examiner makes a difference but as long as you don't do any "dangerous actions" you should and will pass. I think it's more than 35 or 40 points off to fail. They grade you on different skills such as pre trip, making turns, parallel parking, obeying traffic signals/signs, etc.

I was nervous as hell when I took it the 1st time, so nervous that it affected my concentration. During the air brake exam I turned off the parking brake and the bus(school bus)rolled down the hill a few feet before I applied the brakes.

I also failed to build up the air pressure to around 120psi after he told me ok, pull out and make a left at the light, it was only around 60psi and he yells at me if I thought it was safe to drive with very low air brake pressure. The road test was over in like 3 minutes, the final nail in my coffin was when I had to stop at a railroad tracks that weren't active, well after flashing my hazards, I was about to continue driving when this moron behind me decides to pass me on my left side, the examiner slams on the brakes and says didn't you see the car behind you trying to pass you? It was a 2 way street but there were like 10 cars already behind me after I had stopped at the railroad crossing and did what I had to do, drivers are impatient in NYC, the guy behind me had no idea that i was taking my CDL road test. He figured that since i had my flashers on that I was broken down or something.

Sure the examiner on my 1st road test was a major jerk but I failed because of ME. The second time around I passed with a perfect score, i didn't do anything wrong, but more importantly I was calm, confident and mentally prepared. Like night and day. When you are calm you think more clearly. It's all in the head I tell you.

After my first road test which I had failed miserably, I was very down, thinking what if I never pass it no matter how many times I take the road test. I felt like it was the end of the world, not everybody will pass it the 1st time around, but the 2nd time around is always and should be better then the 1st time.:tup:

just drive the damn thing, LOL. You have to have the mentality that if he can do i can too. I had made it a point to be vocal with the DMV examiner (calling out road hazards, Over head clearance and weight limit signs to the point that i can feel her say oh shut up already. I felt if you can get the pretrip done with confidence and know what your doing that it will help you with your road test exam. It 40 points to fail, the are certain thing that are automatic Disquals or two 10 points violations will fail you( that Might be only for 19A, not sure). look at the bottom of this page to see scoring system http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/cdl/cdl10sec11-13.pdf oh yeah one last thing, make sure you bring your license. we had a bus operator that did not, stupid stupid

Make sure your driving school instructor doesn't lock you out of the bus on the day of the DMV road test,lol. True story, on my 2nd road test my instructor went to get a soda while we were waiting for the guy in front of us to come back. I was outside the bus sitting on a bench.

Anyways he comes back from the store and we find the front door closed with the keys in the ignition, he says to me why I locked the door, I said to him,YOU were the one driving,you left the keys in the ignition,DUH. So we are both trying to pry the door open, checking to see if any windows were open, even thought about climbing on the roof the bus to open the vents,lol. We finally were able to open a rear emergency exit door of the school bus...just as the dmv examiner was finishing up with the guy that went before me. :P=My instructors look on his face.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Try to get it through work force 1,if you make less than 55000 a year you may qualify for an itg voucher.I did that and didn't have to pay.They give you different schools you can choose from.I went to totally cool driving school.They offer 14 lessons and pay for 2 road tests if need be in my case it was need be.

Unrelated, but I remember a few years ago a friend of mine, a pretty smart guy, got called up for sanitation. The poor guy I believe was given 2-3 chances on different dates to pass the driving test and he just kept screwing it up. They gave him some time to take some sort of training before trying again, but he couldn't come up with something like $800 the training would cost. Now that I think of it that was around 10 years ago, I was pretty sad for him.

Unrelated, but I remember a few years ago a friend of mine, a pretty smart guy, got called up for sanitation. The poor guy I believe was given 2-3 chances on different dates to pass the driving test and he just kept screwing it up. They gave him some time to take some sort of training before trying again, but he couldn't come up with something like $800 the training would cost. Now that I think of it that was around 10 years ago, I was pretty sad for him.

I can understand failing the road test once, but 2 or 3 times, sounds like he was nervous or something. If he was trained properly he should have passed. Yeah, he might have been book smart, but in this case it didn't help.

Also a sanitation truck(belly dump for the road test) is shorter lengthwise then a school bus. So the turns aren't as difficult, and you don't have to stop for railroad tracks.

The cdl road test is hard in the sense that we're more conscious of the examiner than all the other things you have to remember such as the underpasses always staying turning in the right lanes hazards etc.I tell you if it wasn't for the grace of God I would of failed.I had 50 points God moved on the examiners heart that day because I remember things I did that he didn't deduct.I aced the airbrakes and pre trip flawlessly.My nerves calmed down once I hit the express way.I aced the parallel parking he didn't even ask me to back 10 feet. 10 points for turning right and left to short.10 point for not waiting in the center of the intersection for a left turn.10 points for crossing solid lane marking exiting expressway.10 points for poor judgment observing when coming to intersection.I forgot what the other 10 were for.God is good.B)

On my 2nd road test the examiner sat behind me, the guy walked with a limp, anyway it felt like I was driving by myself. On my 1st road rest the examiner was sitting right next to me, that made me nervous to say the least.

There is room for error though, you don't have to do everything perfectly. Good thing that you aced the airbrakes

and pre trip because that is when most people freeze up

and mess up. Bottom line is that you passed and that is

all that matters. Your CDL B isn't going to say how many

points were deducted on your road test.

@Locomotion69 Yeah I think he was just getting super nervous every time up. He had experience driving those large brown UPS trucks, so I thought with a bit of tweaking he should have nailed it. Things didn't turn out so great for him to this point, I sure wished he had gotten that job :-(

Merry Christmas to everyone btw.

You guys should have taken your road test in NJ and gotten a NJ license. In NJ, when you take a road test, it is on a closed course with no other cars. It's insanely easy. I'm not sure if they use the course for CDL road tests, but they do use it for regular licenses.

You guys should have taken your road test in NJ and gotten a NJ license. In NJ, when you take a road test, it is on a closed course with no other cars. It's insanely easy. I'm not sure if they use the course for CDL road tests, but they do use it for regular licenses.

So how is that possible if I have no residence or many others on here don't live in Jersey? You can't be seriose right?

If I'm not mistaken New York is 1 of the few states if you have your cdl license from another state they make you take the road test again .But the positive about getting it in new york is that you can go to any other state and just pay a fee to transfer it to that state.

Do as the others said, and obey speed limits, especially in school zones. Yes, yell out, clearance heights on bridges, and say bus will clear, or if no height posted, the bridge is usually 13'6, and even big rigs clear that. I failed my first road test for a class D, and first for class B. Passed on second time though.......

clearance heights on bridges, and say bus will clear, or if no height posted, the bridge is usually 13'6, and even big rigs clear that.

To be a bit more accurate, if there is not a posted height sign, than either the sign has been stolen or you have at least 13'6" of vertical clearance. However, signs are generally last items to be updated/replaced following road and bridge work, so if what you're about to drive over or drive under has anything nice and new about it, then proceed with a little extra caution.

FYI: overpass clearances around NYC are signed with deceiving measurements for obvious reasons. Does anyone know how these measurements are derived?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting almost 2 weeks already for the DMV to give my driving school a road test date for me for my CDL B class.

They are still using the excuse about snow and canceled classes.

A little white powder really turned this city upside down. lol Hope tonight's store doesn't destroy us.

I've been waiting almost 2 weeks already for the DMV to give my driving school a road test date for me for my CDL B class.

A little white powder really turned this city upside down. lol Hope tonight's store doesn't destroy us.

Our mayor didn't shut up about how they were going to be on the case for the last "storm" all 2" of it. I don't think I've heard him for this one lol

I think he went to his Caribbean Villa.

A little white powder really ttore doesn't destroy us.[/

Maybe you should try and schedule your own road test,that sounds a little suspect.I don't see why they wont give you a road test because of the snow.If anything they'll give you a later date,but never heard them not letting you schedule a road test.Then again I can be 100 percent wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

What's up everyone?

Had my road test yesterday afternoon.

I thank and praise Allah (God) that I passed on my first try...I was very confident the whole time but became so nervous 5 mins before my test. lol

I got 20 points out of the allowed 50...not so bad.

I'm a CDl BPS driver now.

What's up everyone?

Had my road test yesterday afternoon.

I thank and praise Allah (God) that I passed on my first try...I was very confident the whole time but became so nervous 5 mins before my test. lol

I got 20 points out of the allowed 50...not so bad.

I'm a CDl BPS driver now.

Congratulations. Now the true test and real learning begins.

Don't **** up.

Archived