Blinking lights on the O7 NGs

Joel Up Front

I was on an N32 (I love this route now.) heading towards Far Rock when at that little sliver of land between Front Street and Hempstead Turnpike I saw a Hempstead-bound N32 with its lights blinking. The emergency lights above the headlights were off and the lights that were blinking seemed to be in the destination sign. The sign itself flashed the normal "N32 Hempstead Transit Center via Central Av/via Hempstead Av," but I don't know what those lights meant.

I haven't seen any other O7 on the island do that other than that particular bus. Anyone know what was up?

Photo (look at the destination sign):

libus_1767.jpg

Lol. Well first off the lights you are talking about ( to the left and right of the dest. sign) are the emergency lights. The ones above the headlights are turn signals! I've seen plenty of buses do that over the years. The sign will usually flash "Emergency ^ Call Cops" or "Call Police." I have also known for B/O's to hit the button on accident as well. The lights are a first on new LIB equiptment, so it could have been anything, as their operators may not be used to them.

Are those the same lights on the RTS next to the dest. sign?

Yep. All of our buses have them except for the ex-Bee Orions.

Maybe he's talking about the clearence lights? I've noticed that a bunch of times on the NGs,that the clearence light blink on and off.

I know what you are talking about, but as far as I know it is a flaw, and not supposed to happen. But I could be wrong on that. (as seen in the above video provided by 711) But I'm 99% sure Joel is talking about the emergency lights, and not the clearance lights.

those light on the top that are flashing is due to a button being pressed i believe for the exhaust system. I know the buses from grand when running off to depot have that switch toggled when pulling in to the depot. Ill see if i can find the actual name of the switch and what it is doing

those light on the top that are flashing is due to a button being pressed i believe for the exhaust system. I know the buses from grand when running off to depot have that switch toggled when pulling in to the depot. Ill see if i can find the actual name of the switch and what it is doing

Its the exhaust regen switch. you have to shut it off before going into the depot so the exhaust pipe cools down, and each depot that has NGs has some type of satellite that shuts it off when the bus is 500 ft. away in case the driver forgets to turn the switch off.

Its the exhaust regen switch. you have to shut it off before going into the depot so the exhaust pipe cools down, and each depot that has NGs has some type of satellite that shuts it off when the bus is 500 ft. away in case the driver forgets to turn the switch off.

Your half right ..its an exhaust regen switch that must be activated before or after leaving depot

NO depot has any type of satellitte switch to to shut it off.

Archived