Sony Discontinues Walkman

Guest Lance

Guest lance25

From CNN:

(Mashable) -- After retiring the floppy disk in March, Sony has halted the manufacture and distribution of another now-obsolete technology: the cassette Walkman, the first low-cost, portable music player.

The final batch was shipped to Japanese retailers in April, according to IT Media. Once these units are sold, new cassette Walkmans will no longer be available through the manufacturer.

The first generation Walkman (which was called the Soundabout in the U.S., and the Stowaway in the UK) was released on July 1, 1979 in Japan.

Although it later became a huge success, it only sold 3,000 units in its first month. Sony managed to sell some 200 million iterations of the cassette Walkman over the product line's 30-year career.

Mashable.com: Sony retires the floppy disk

Somewhat ironically, the announcement was delivered just one day ahead of the iPod's ninth anniversary on October 23, although the decline of the cassette Walkman is attributed primarily to the explosive popularity of CD players in the '90s, not the iPod.

Who would've thought 30 years ago that we'd go from Walkmans that can only play one tape to iPods and other mp3 players that can play thousands of songs on a single device? How far we've come...

Guest lance25

Just a few Shortline? I have a damn-near library-sized collection. At last count, it numbered over 300 VHS tapes and quite frankly I don't see that shrinking any time soon.

Just a few Shortline? I have a damn-near library-sized collection. At last count, it numbered over 300 VHS tapes and quite frankly I don't see that shrinking any time soon.

Don't get rid of them because I'm sure in the future people will still be looking for old movies on tape. Last month I was dying to see Superman 3 so I bought a VHS copy on ebay for .49c with $3. shipping :cool:

You sound like my older sister. She grew up in the 70's/early 80's as a teen and at her house in Southern California she has hundred of vinyl records. So join the club.:eek:

Vinyls in last couple of years are perhaps the most popular item on the nostaigia market. Early Elvis records from the 1950's on vinyls for instance in good condition is worth several thousands dollars.

Maybe the same might have with VHS movies and tapes.

Back to topic. When you go to stores like Wal Mart Target or Best Buy, it's hard to find now a DVD or Blu-ray combo with a VHS player.

From CNN:

Who would've thought 30 years ago that we'd go from Walkmans that can only play one tape to iPods and other mp3 players that can play thousands of songs on a single device? How far we've come...

They were still making walkmans? I thought they stopped making those years ago

Same here. I'm not ashamed I still use VHS tapes. I'll use them till the vcr is phased out. I guess I'm just a dinosaur in this sense. I don't want to change to DvRs.

I had the first Sony Sport yellow walkman, The First Sony Sports yellow walkman with the TV tuner wich was really a dumb option, And does anyone remeber when Sony was pushing the Mini disc player and walkmans?

This is one that I used to own up until the mid 90's.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/40742933/am-fm-sony-sports-walkman-yellow

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Ah those were my childhood days in the early90s and then cd players came in and then now ipods and mp3/4 players.

I've had all three during my life time.

80's cassette walkman

90's CD walkman

00's iPod/MP3 gigabeat

I still like the old school headphones, then the ones that sticks right into you ear canal.

The ones that was so loud you can be deaf in a jiffy.:P

Still use a basic mp3 player and old school mini radio player when i railfan on metro-north, the NYC subways/buses and other trips on mass transit.

I still have cassettes, vinyl records, VHS tapes, oh, and did I mention the 50 year old TV-Radio-Record player? :P

Same here. I'm not ashamed I still use VHS tapes. I'll use them till the vcr is phased out. I guess I'm just a dinosaur in this sense. I don't want to change to DvRs.

The VCR is phased out. Sears just had to replace my old TV (with a broken VCR) and give me a new HDTV ;)

I still have cassettes, vinyl records, VHS tapes, oh, and did I mention the 50 year old TV-Radio-Record player? :D

The VCR is phased out. Sears just had to replace my old TV (with a broken VCR) and give me a new HDTV :P

Not to mention all of the major chain video/movie rental stores i.e Netflix, Blockbuster(whatever of the #'s of stores they have left)and others for at least a year or two now, only rents DVD's/blu-ray.

Archived