Staten Island bus service question

LRG

The ING New York City Marathon is tomorrow, meaning several bus routes will be affected. The Verrazano will be closed to traffic, meaning S53, S79, X1 and X10 service will be significantly marred by this. So how will these routes operate? Will the S53 and S79 short-turn in Arrochar or Clove Road/Hylan Boulevard, and will the X1/10 be shut down altogether? The S53/S79 not serving Brooklyn seems pretty critical.

You can also add how other bus routes will be affected by the marathon as well such as short-turns, complete shutdowns, whatever have it.

The ING New York City Marathon is tomorrow, meaning several bus routes will be affected. The Verrazano will be closed to traffic, meaning S53, S79, X1 and X10 service will be significantly marred by this. So how will these routes operate? Will the S53 and S79 short-turn in Arrochar or Clove Road/Hylan Boulevard, and will the X1/10 be shut down altogether? The S53/S79 not serving Brooklyn seems pretty critical.

You can also add how other bus routes will be affected by the marathon as well such as short-turns, complete shutdowns, whatever have it.

I'm kinda shocked that the MTA really hasn't put up too much about the detour routings yet.

I guess it's feasible that the x1/10 could go through Jersey but that's alot of backtracking for both routes and there is no way they could run on any kind of a schedule. And I agree with you...no s53/79 service into Brooklyn is gonna screw alot of people even if it is a Sunday. IIRC, the BMs don't run on Sunday anymore, so that option is out.

They should keep at least one side of the bridge open and run a shuttle service to/from Brooklyn so people don't get cut off like that.

"MCI" on BusChat is saying that the X1 and X10 will run via the Holland & Bayonne but that involves major backtracking. The SI Advance only mentioned the ferry as the only alternative but imagine after a long trip on the S53 or S79 on your way to Brooklyn or on the slow-poke R heading to 86th St, only to find that you need to backtrack to the ferry to get anywhere.

The only good thing is that during this marathon, the ferry runs every 15 minutes. But that's information that's never publicized either. The marathon runners are probably going to think that the ferry is always frequent but let them ride it any other Sunday and they'll have a nice hour to wait.

ALSO, I believe that all St George buses are going to terminate at the top of the hill at St Marks Place & Hyatt Street. They do that for every other marathon so I don't think this one will be different. When this happens, the S40 & S44 turn up Jersey St and follow the S42 route.

Thanks for the info SIR North Shore.

As far as the express buses go, the X10 would pretty much have to run in the opposite direction:

Narrows Road-SI Expressway-Gannon Avenue-Victory Blvd-Richmond Avenue-Forest Avenue-Trantor Place-MLK Expressway/Bayonne Bridge.

The X1 would be extremely hard to run via the Bayonne Bridge. It would have to start in Arrochar and take Hylan Blvd to Richmond Avenue and then run all the way from Arthur Kill Road to the Bayonne Bridge. Most people along Hylan Blvd north of New Dorp would be better off taking the S78 to either the X10 on Narrows Road or the Staten Island Ferry.

The X1 would be extremely hard to run via the Bayonne Bridge. It would have to start in Arrochar and take Hylan Blvd to Richmond Avenue and then run all the way from Arthur Kill Road to the Bayonne Bridge. Most people along Hylan Blvd north of New Dorp would be better off taking the S78 to either the X10 on Narrows Road or the Staten Island Ferry.

Why go though all of that, would'nt taking the S.I.E. to the Goethels Br and then running via the x17J routing into the city be better.

Coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel bang the right on 42nd to 5th then regular routing to Battery Pl then back uptown via Trinity/Church and 6th, bang the left back on 42nd and hit the tunnel again outbound. Or would that be too long?

Why go though all of that, would'nt taking the S.I.E. to the Goethels Br and then running via the x17J routing into the city be better.

Coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel bang the right on 42nd to 5th then regular routing to Battery Pl then back uptown via Trinity/Church and 6th, bang the left back on 42nd and hit the tunnel again outbound. Or would that be too long?

The thing is though, those who live by the waterfront of Staten Island (e.g. Arrochar, Rosebank, South Beach, etc.) will have to face a LONGER commute if they choose to ride the express bus because they're traveling further away from Manhattan, whereas those who live in Eltingville, New Springville and Westerleigh would have no effect on a "reverse" routing of these two routes.

Thanks for the info....still learning about the "forgotten" borough.

All I know is that its gonna be a mess tomarrow and I'm glad this is the first time in 3 years that I have managed to avoid driving in it.

ALSO, I believe that all St George buses are going to terminate at the top of the hill at St Marks Place & Hyatt Street. They do that for every other marathon so I don't think this one will be different. When this happens, the S40 & S44 turn up Jersey St and follow the S42 route.

why???so all the ferry people at st marks place have to get on/off the bus....

Archived