Sea Beach Exp E3-E4 Track

38th Street Yard

Track dept is doing the whole exp track from north of 8th to south of 86st and people keep asking if the other track is going to be touch I think not

There is no E3/4 track, it's E4 the whole way from 86th St to N/O 8th Av. Just look at all the signals, not one says E3.

Anyways, this project has been going on for months (the actual removal of tracks), but there had been a restricted speed order for over a year already. There are no plans to do anything with E3, though it had been proposed to remove it and turn it into a roadway, but track dept. felt that doing so would encourage people to go on the tracks.

I know the West End Line (D) does fine with only three tracks and only one of them is an express track so the (N) would do just fine as well. The only problem would be if the (MTA) wants to bring back full express service on the Sea Beach Line that would be a problem.

and we all know that's going to be a MAJOR problem B) but with all due respect to reality, that's not happening for another millenium...

I don't see the point in having an express track(s) since most G.O. are rerouted on the other line, however I do know that the express track is used for moving (R) trains from and to CIY. Could it possible during the Sea Beach Restoration (If there is one) that they convert some of the stations into islands?

I don't see the point in having an express track(s) since most G.O. are rerouted on the other line, however I do know that the express track is used for moving (R) trains from and to CIY. Could it possible during the Sea Beach Restoration (If there is one) that they convert some of the stations into islands?

IMO, a station worthy of this would be 62 Street.

I don't see the point in having an express track(s) since most G.O. are rerouted on the other line,

There's a good reason for that too: the West End line has a stop at 62 Street so people do not have to go all the way to the terminal (or 59 Street) to get to the stations in between.

however I do know that the express track is used for moving (R) trains from and to CIY. Could it possible during the Sea Beach Restoration (If there is one) that they convert some of the stations into islands?

The two stations I'd propose islands for are 8 Avenue, New Utrecht Avenue, and Kings Highway. 8 Avenue and Kings Highway are the busiest stops on the Sea Beach line. New Utrecht Avenue is also a transfer point to the West End line's 62 Street station.

I believe I posted this before:

Sea_Beach_Reconfiguration.jpg

The isolated segments of thin gray lines represent the dead track left over. It seems like a doable configuration, and makes more sense than the previous super-express configuration, but the tunnels under the roads would have to be redone to make room for island platforms.

There's a good reason for that too: the West End line has a stop at 62 Street so people do not have to go all the way to the terminal (or 59 Street) to get to the stations in between.

How about vice versa (D) G.O. go on the (N) line, passengers could always switch at Bay Pkwy, 62nd St, 9th Av?

[quote name=CenSin;345105The two stations I'd propose islands for are 8 Avenue' date=' New Utrecht Avenue, and Kings Highway. 8 Avenue and Kings Highway are the busiest stops on the Sea Beach line. New Utrecht Avenue is also a transfer point to the West End line's 62 Street station.

I believe I posted this before:

Sea_Beach_Reconfiguration.jpg

The isolated segments of thin gray lines represent the dead track left over. It seems like a doable configuration, and makes more sense than the previous super-express configuration.

Wouldn't it be better if it was both Express Tracks in service, this seems like the (N) express service in the past, it would only stop at 8av, New Utrecht & Kings Hwy.

Well a better way to do it is to wait till the (MTA) has more money and can rebuild the 4 track reconfiguration. Therefore a Sea Beach Express service would have a lot more use.

I think that Sea Beach Restoration was proposed in the budget plans.

Nope all they have to do is widen the 3rd track enough to create an island platform.

You're making an argument based off of desire. I could not possibly think of a realistic scenario where investing in a 4-track line with no express stations at all makes sense.

No one has suggested what is going express and what is going local in such a setup. Not going to create an extra line just to save 2 mins bet Stillwell and 36th.

It could be:

(N) Sea Beach Express - 4th Av Express

Stopping at 8 Av, New Utrecht Av, Kings Hwy, Av U, 86th St, Stilwell Av CI

(W) Sea Beach Local - 4th Av Local

Stopping at all stops between 8 Av & Kings Hwy

Guest lance25

It may come as a complete surprise to some of you, but not every line needs express service. Just because there's an express track, it doesn't have to be in active use.

100 years ago, around the time the line was built, Coney Island was the only place to go. The beaches would be packed, the transportation corridors would be clogged worse than Homer Simpson's Arteries. It makes sense in the context under which it was built. Now, no, but then, yes.

I know that, there's just no reason for express service anymore.

Archived