MTA plans to phase out the Metrocard

Via Garibaldi 8

They make it seem as if you could only pay with a credit card... Makes sense now what you're saying, but I really don't see the big hype with these things... I mean sure you can pay a little quicker, but what other advantages would these cards have? I assume that you wouldn't need to have a vending machine around since theoretically if you need to pay for a fare you could tap your credit card and be done which would be a big plus on Staten Island, but what about weekly passes and such? Will you still have to use MVM's for those as well as for refilling etc. or can that be done online or with your cell phone?

Sadly, the metrocards will be phased out sometime in the future with the tap and go smart cards taking its place. The plan is to use credit/debit cards along with refillable smartcards.

One advantage of these smartcards is less waste.

I was told they were not phasing them out. They would just be a new form of tap and go Metrocard. Not saying they haven't made new plans or anything. I just wasn't aware of it.

Good observation but that hasn't always been the case that it seems like fare increases fit around quarters. In 1990 and 1991 fare was 90 cents (3 quarters, a dime and a nickel); from June 29, 1980 to July 3, 1981 fare was 60 cents (2 quarters and a dime); from 1972 to August 31, 1975 fare was 35 cents (a quarter and a dime) and in 1970 and 1971 fare was 30 cents (a quarter and a nickel).

Yes sir. That's why the most recent fare increase was to $2.25 -- so that people could use all quarters. The next increase will be $2.50, the previous fare was $2.00. The fare is always based around coins, and quarters specifically.

In Mimai, they have a card called an "EasyCard", which involves contactless fare payment. What you do is tap the card to the farebox or turnstile and it will open automatically. The advantage is that you don't have to worry about errors (such as taking off fares instead of transfers, or not being able to read the card).

They accept cash as well in Miami, but there are no free transfers when you pay in cash.

As far as people getting used to the system, eventually, people just understand the system. I came into Miami as a tourist and was able to master the system, so, eventually, it should just catch on.

Very interesting information re: Miami:cool:

I wish I'd had time when I was there to check out its mass transit.

Archived