MTA plans to phase out the Metrocard

Via Garibaldi 8

So I've been hearing that the Metrocard is supposed to be no more in the next few years. The MTA is supposed to be running pilot programs with these scanners using Mastercard where you basically "tap" your credit or debit card and go. My question is how are they supposed to see if it's working if they've done so little to advertise it and if and when the Metrocard is replaced, what payment options would we have??

SmartCard technology isn't supposed to be implemented until 2014, four years from now. In fact they just finished a 6-month pilot program for the project. Four years is a very long time before the implementation of the actual Smartcard to start advertising.

SmartCard technology isn't supposed to be implemented until 2014, four years from now. In fact they just finished a 6-month pilot program for the project. Four years is a very long time before the implementation of the actual Smartcard to start advertising.

But I'm just wondering who in the world is actually using it for them to know if it will work or not? To be honest most people still can't even use a Metrocard, so how in the world are they going to implement a technology that few people even know how to use? And for those who don't like using a credit card and prefer cash, what is their option? I'm assuming they'd do away with the Metrocard machines too correct?

In Mimai, they have a card called an "EasyCard", which involves contactless fare payment. What you do is tap the card to the farebox or turnstile and it will open automatically. The advantage is that you don't have to worry about errors (such as taking off fares instead of transfers, or not being able to read the card).

They accept cash as well in Miami, but there are no free transfers when you pay in cash.

As far as people getting used to the system, eventually, people just understand the system. I came into Miami as a tourist and was able to master the system, so, eventually, it should just catch on.

They're not phasing out the Metrocard, they are implementing Pay Pass.

Well aren't they looking to phase out the Metrocard vending machines? If not then what would be the real advantage of using this system aside from paying quicker? I would say it may be easier too, but that may not be the case for all.

Well aren't they looking to phase out the Metrocard vending machines? If not then what would be the real advantage of using this system aside from paying quicker? I would say it may be easier too, but that may not be the case for all.

I don't know anything about that. It was my understanding that Pay Pass would be accepted at the MVM's. Everybody doesn't have a credit or debit card.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

It may not be phasing out the MVMs but Retrofitting them like the Path smart card machines that sell reloadable tap and go card and mta metro's.

I don't know anything about that. It was my understanding that Pay Pass would be accepted at the MVM's. Everybody doesn't have a credit or debit card.

They make it seem as if you could only pay with a credit card... Makes sense now what you're saying, but I really don't see the big hype with these things... I mean sure you can pay a little quicker, but what other advantages would these cards have? I assume that you wouldn't need to have a vending machine around since theoretically if you need to pay for a fare you could tap your credit card and be done which would be a big plus on Staten Island, but what about weekly passes and such? Will you still have to use MVM's for those as well as for refilling etc. or can that be done online or with your cell phone?

Even if Fares could be deducted via a Credit or Debit card....I would still prefer my Metrocard....I dont want the MTA tapping my bank account that frequently.....I want to load 50$ on my metrocard and keep it totally separate from my debit...

I Like the fact I can top off my Metrocard and not have to worry about having available cash for my fare....I always fill my Metrocard with enough to carry me from Paycheck to Paycheck

Yes sir. That's why the most recent fare increase was to $2.25 -- so that people could use all quarters. The next increase will be $2.50, the previous fare was $2.00. The fare is always based around coins, and quarters specifically.

I'm sure many people won't like the idea, but if they allow you to be able to pay online to refill your card then I would propose having those people who still want to pay in coins pay more to do so like they've doing with those who pay cash at the Verrazano. There is nothing more annoying than having someone come on the express bus with tons of coins dropping them everywhere and holding everyone up in the process. Boarding should be as quick as possible to make everyone's commute quicker.

But I'm just wondering who in the world is actually using it for them to know if it will work or not? To be honest most people still can't even use a Metrocard, so how in the world are they going to implement a technology that few people even know how to use? And for those who don't like using a credit card and prefer cash, what is their option? I'm assuming they'd do away with the Metrocard machines too correct?

It is easier to use a SmartCard than it is to use a Metrocard so that is not a problem. With a SmartCard all you do is tap it on the designated area and you're good to go, no matter what. With a Metrocard you have all these problems with swiping, bent cards, etc.

It has multiple advantages. First of all implementing the SmartCard will cost $200 million, but at the same time it offers a higher farebox recovery ratio (less money spent on simply collecting revenue) which translates into $200 million in annual savings. That means that while being implemented at no net cost, this move will actually save the (MTA) money in the long run. Also, this SmartCard can be coordinated with other modes of transportation across the region, such as with PATH's SmartLink card, the HBLR, taxis, and eventually commuter rail services. So as a whole, it encourages use of other mass transit options as well by eliminating the use of separate fare media. Also, faster fare payment means less backup at turnstyles, faster bus boarding times and less delays overall.

They're not phasing out the Metrocard, they are implementing Pay Pass.

What's Pay Pass? And they're not phasing out the Metrocard now, but they will in the next 4 years.

im 13 I cant have a credit/debit card so if they switch to that, I can't ride the subway!

I really don't think there going to phase out the (Mx)etrocard.

They are likely going to have a Smartcard version of the Student Metrocards (given out to students in schools, assuming that these still exist and aren't cut yet by the time this system is implemented) so that students and seniors can use the system for free and reduced prices.

And not everyone has a credit or debit card.

Actually, those who dont have credit/debit, will have some other paypass technology you purchase. Just like the Metrocard.

From what i heard it would be like a key chain tap which you buy and add money.

And for those who dump the key chain tap will have to buy another one and add money to it!

Archived