TWU Local 100 Emergency Meeting for all Laid-Off Station Agents

Will-Bx-718

congrats Will.

I just got my re-instatement letter also the other day. I was working upstate and my wife called me to tell me I got it, but I didn't post here b/c I wanted to get home and read it & make sure first.

they want me to go in March 1st.

I'm debating whether or not I go back. Need to talk with the wife about it. I'm happy working back at my old job. But it would mean moving back upstate & I know my wife isn't crazy about that in the least.

I haven't gotten sick since I left that job. The 7 months I was driving a bus, I got sick like 4 times. Haven't had to deal with morons fighting on my bus, fare beaters or people talking to me like I'm a p.o.s.

It would mean less pay in the end and no pension, but money isn't everything. I think I'd rather spend the next 25 yrs as far away from this city as possible to be honest.

But I'm still on the fence and need to discuss with wifey.

Anyway, good luck bro & I am glad things are turning around for ya. :tup:

congrats Will.

I just got my re-instatement letter also the other day. I was working upstate and my wife called me to tell me I got it, but I didn't post here b/c I wanted to get home and read it & make sure first.

I'm debating whether or not I go back. Need to talk with the wife about it. I'm happy working back at my old job. But it would mean moving back upstate & I know my wife isn't crazy about that in the least.

I haven't gotten sick since I left that job. The 7 months I was driving a bus, I got sick like 4 times. Haven't had to deal with morons fighting on my bus, fare beaters or people talking to me like I'm a p.o.s.

It would mean less pay in the end and no pension, but money isn't everything. I think I'd rather spend the next 25 yrs as far away from this city as possible to be honest.

I can most definitely understand your reasons for not wanting to come back to the job as me being an S/A. I haven't been stressed out for the least since I've been laid off. I know once I go back in that booth I'm gonna be getting stressed by these people in NYC. But right now I have no other choice, me and my girl wanna get engaged and by a condo so we both need to be working. She just recently got hired for School Safety Agent and soon to be a Property Protection Agent or C/R whenever the TA gets to her name. I was upset when I lost my job, Not cuz I would miss the job but the money. I read in another post you wanna buy a house upstate so you may need the extra TA money. I know you wanna get outta the city but at least if you take the TA job back when you retire you will be able to do it better than you could with the job you are currently working at now.

I'am to report to 180 Livingston st next friday morning the 25th @ 730am for re-employment. It's been a long 6 months but it's coming to a end now. I should be back work by april.

congrats Will.

Congrats guys!:cool:

I'am to report to 180 Livingston st next friday morning the 25th @ 730am for re-employment. It's been a long 6 months but it's coming to a end now. I should be back work by april.

Congrats and welcome back! You guys took the bullet so we could keep our raises and benefits. Don't think it didn't go unappreciated...

Spike

glad to see you guys getting the chance to get your careers back on track. congrats!

Thanx guys for the positive statements. It's been a long 6 months, but they haven't been as bad as they could've been. I've used this time to take numerous civil service exams for free being on unemployment, so at least I have other opportunities just in case the MTA pulls this kinda shit again.

Thanx guys for the positive statements. It's been a long 6 months, but they haven't been as bad as they could've been. I've used this time to take numerous civil service exams for free being on unemployment, so at least I have other opportunities just in case the MTA pulls this kinda shit again.

Looks like they will give you your old pay grade back also? THats a pretty nice hourly wage... Congrats on everything.

Looks like they will give you your old pay grade back also? THats a pretty nice hourly wage... Congrats on everything.

Thanx, and also thanx for the heads up about the bar codes. It was like 2 or 3 in the morning when I uploaded the photo and didn't even notice them until this morning when I woke up and read your repsonse.

that's another thing that has me worried. Got away with it once, they will do it again if they feel like it.. But... Only time will tell.

Well even if they do it will be more costly for them well @ least in my case. I only had 5 for months to make 5 years so I would be vested and get a small pension if they canned me again. I don't know how much time you had, but if it's less than 5 years you can still be in trouble. But I don't think they will take that route anytime soon, so don't worry too much. I also took those exams because I had no idea if they were ever going to call me back. I took the School Safety Agent, Call Center Rep (311), NYS Corrections Officer and soon DMV exam as well as NYC Corrections Officer exam. Since they were all free I took advantage of it.

MTA may not be calling back Station Agents that were laid off that have a prior bad record. Any truth or confirmation in that?

They mentioned that at the emergency meeting in december, but more so for S/A's being recalled for cleaners. To me I would think if whatever you did was not enough to fire you before you were laid off it shouldn't keep you from getting re-hired.

Well even if they do it will be more costly for them well @ least in my case. I only had 5 for months to make 5 years so I would be vested and get a small pension if they canned me again. I don't know how much time you had, but if it's less than 5 years you can still be in trouble. But I don't think they will take that route anytime soon, so don't worry too much.

yeah that makes sense.. But I only had 7 months in when I got laid off. So in a sense, I would be on "pins n needles" for another 4 1/2 yrs. Right now, I am 90% set on sticking with my old job. I just need to talk with them on Tuesday when I go back & let them know the situation with me being called back to the MTA & discuss health benefits with them. If they work in my favor, I will stay. If I am going to have to fork out a few hundred a month to cover my wife; because right now they only cover the employee; then that 10% chance of me going back will grow.

This city is just too expensive to live in. And it's only getting worse.Even at the MTA's top pay rate for B/O, me being the sole "bread-winner", I can't see how I will possibly get ahead financially and comfortably support my family. But everyone's situation is different.

I'm sure there are guys drooling over this thread hoping I pass up the job so they get called quicker, so I'll post back in my thread & let ya know what I do.;)

lol

yeah that makes sense.. But I only had 7 months in when I got laid off. So in a sense, I would be on "pins n needles" for another 4 1/2 yrs. Right now, I am 90% set on sticking with my old job. I just need to talk with them on Tuesday when I go back & let them know the situation with me being called back to the MTA & discuss health benefits with them. If they work in my favor, I will stay. If I am going to have to fork out a few hundred a month to cover my wife; because right now they only cover the employee; then that 10% chance of me going back will grow.

This city is just too expensive to live in. And it's only getting worse.Even at the MTA's top pay rate for B/O, me being the sole "bread-winner", I can't see how I will possibly get ahead financially and comfortably support my family. But everyone's situation is different.

I'm sure there are guys drooling over this thread hoping I pass up the job so they get called quicker, so I'll post back in my thread & let ya know what I do.;)

lol

Yeah hear that man your situation is different than mines. Me and my girl aren't married or have any kids and we both will have city jobs. And wow 7 months yeah you got a while to go, you were still a probie @ lay off time. But definitely talk to your job and see what you can do about the health insurance thing.

That's really good To hear Will. Good luck. I know you missed these passengers. I am sure they will give you a warm welcome. You probably can't wait for your first

"mistah, I have no money"

And I still won't feel sorry for them because, even during this period of being unemployed whenever I needed to ride the bus or subway I always had my fare. Just like I did even before I was ever hired by the MTA.

No mercy

LOL, but seriously it's not about mercy. People need to take responsibility for themselves, especially adults. Lots of people in this city act as if someone owes them something. If TA charged the true price of a subway ride many of these people would go insane. Most cities charge for as far as your traveling and @ what time. There is no one base price no matter where you are going.

• 1 month later...

Hey WillBx, or S/A Vee or anyone, do you think there will be another station agent exam ever again? Last one was in 2008, so we might be due for another in a year or so, what do you think.

WillBx, you wrote in another thread that the TA is “just keeping the minimum amount of S/A's they can work with and not hiring from the outside right now or ever." By ‘outside’ do you mean they’ll never hire from an o/c list again? You seem pretty sure that they’ll keep on at least a couple thousand S/As for the foreseeable future, so I figure they’d have to offer a test in 2012 or 2013 and start up an o/c list from that. What do you think, should I have any hope??

There will not be a station agent exam for a long long time they haven't even graded the one from 2008 yet and I know because I took that exam . The mta will hire station agents basically body for body when either someone quits, retires promotes out or dies that person or persons will be replaced. I would guess the next station agent exam will be

In 2015

Hey WillBx, or S/A Vee or anyone, do you think there will be another station agent exam ever again? Last one was in 2008, so we might be due for another in a year or so, what do you think.

WillBx, you wrote in another thread that the TA is “just keeping the minimum amount of S/A's they can work with and not hiring from the outside right now or ever." By ‘outside’ do you mean they’ll never hire from an o/c list again? You seem pretty sure that they’ll keep on at least a couple thousand S/As for the foreseeable future, so I figure they’d have to offer a test in 2012 or 2013 and start up an o/c list from that. What do you think, should I have any hope??

Yeah like primo said. They haven't even graded the 2008 exam yet. Eventually there may be another exam but not in the foreseeable future. The preferred list for laid off S/A's that got hired back as cleaners is still open for another 3 years and that will be where they get replacements for people that retire, quit, promote or die from. So you can see how it may be a long time before there's another O/C test if any. If there is another one I can't see it being before 2017. As of 4/72011 there are 2652 S/A's employed by TA down from 3200 last year.

Archived