TWU Local 100 Emergency Meeting for all Laid-Off Station Agents

Will-Bx-718

Just got back from the laid off S/A meeting. Mostly good news, between Jan 2011-Jul 2011 they will be hiring 125 people back as S/A's, retaining their former salaries. Everyone list #126-195 will be hired back as cleaners. But they will be brought back as new hires, with the new hire pay rate of $14.72 an hour and must complete 1 year of probation. But they all retain their seniority on the S/A preferred list so at anytime when their seniority number is reached within the 4 year time they can come back to S/A or stay cleaners if they choose. Everyone else #196-445 will be brought back as cleaners as well, as the TA has to fill 300 cleaners positions, so more than likely by this time next year everyone should be back to work. I have attached a copy of the redeployment information, so any questions anyone may have can be answered there.

scan00011.png

Well originally, they were pose to transfer 150 laid off agents to cleaners. But since the union took them to court they got spiteful and took it off the table and just laid everyone off. But now the deal works out even better for the TA because they still eliminated alot of S/A jobs while creating hundreds of CTA jobs all that will start at new hire rate of $14.72, and those people won't reach top pay for 3 years. With the other deal they would have had to transfer those 150 people to cleaners at top pay, and then eventually have to re-hire some agents also at top pay.

Good luck to all those that were laid off on getting rehired.

Hopefully things will go well on the Metro North front too. At the end of the month there will be another bunch of job cuts with the January 3rd start up of the BSC (Business Service Center).

• 1 month later...
Is there a # you can call to find your list number? Have they started rehiring yet?

Are you a laid off S/A, I'm assuming yes since your asking me that question. Basically only people numbers 1-125 will be re-hired back as S/A's with thier prior rate of pay and seniority. Everyone else #'s126-195 will be re-hired as CTA's @ new hire rate and be probies once again for a year. And everyone else #'s196-445 will more than likely be called back as CTA"S at a later date. The union informed us that they need to fill in 300 cleaners positions this year, so I assume they will fill them in with laid off S/A's. And to find out your preferred list #, you can call DCAS @ 212-669-1357, listen to the automated choices and select which lists you are on. Last time I checked there wasn't any updated info outside of your list number. The MTA will be re-hiring S/A's @ 20 per month, my number is 114 so I should expect to be called back by may the earliest or june the latest. Now I heard from the grapevine that the list had been revised and people's list numbers being pushed up due to some people being recalled for the C/R promo test. If that's true I may be called back for the C/R title before the S/A one. Either way I don't really care, I just wanna get back to work.

Best of luck in getting back, and definitely go for C/R when it comes up.

Yeah I plan on it. But right now I just want to get back into the TA. Which ever calls first I'll take. The pay diff between both is only about 25 cents. But I just heard from a reliable source that the first class for reinstated S/A's and reclassified to cleaner S/A's will be jan 31st. 40 cleaners and 20 S/A's, and then in feb & mar there will be 42 rehired each month. So I'm looking at a call back by april it seems.

I second zman. Take the next conductor promotional exam. Did you take the last one? If you didn't, why not? Not trying to beat you while your down, but had you done so, you likely would have been a condcutor right now. My father is actually a retired condcutor and I remember very well that as soon as they started installing the vending machines, he predicted that the days of the S/As were limited. I think he even told some of them to take the C/R exam. My philosphy is that you should take EVERY promotional exam you are qualified for. Never stop taking exams. And after the C/R exam, take A/D or T/O. Then dispatcher. And so on. You'll have a nicer pension and a better retirement.

Good luck!

I second zman. Take the next conductor promotional exam. Did you take the last one? If you didn't, why not? Not trying to beat you while your down, but had you done so, you likely would have been a condcutor right now. My father is actually a retired condcutor and I remember very well that as soon as they started installing the vending machines, he predicted that the days of the S/As were limited. I think he even told some of them to take the C/R exam. My philosphy is that you should take EVERY promotional exam you are qualified for. Never stop taking exams. And after the C/R exam, take A/D or T/O. Then dispatcher. And so on. You'll have a nicer pension and a better retirement.

Good luck!

I did take the C/R promo exam, my list # is 244.

Nope. Summer of 07. Got a letter today to report to 180 on the 30th to be a CTA. Have to change my plans. I was going on vacation to LA on thursday.

Well shit man that's good to hear. I know it's a bummer to start over in pay and seniority, but at least your employed once again. I'll be waiting to at least april to get back to work. So I'am assuming your gonna be in the jan 31st class for CTA's?, along with the first 20 recalled S/A's.

What's a CTA?

And don't worry too much about starting over in seniority. You took the promotional conductor exam so your going to start over AGAIN in seniority when you take it. And once they start calling all of the people on the O/C conductor exam like myself, your seniority will rise quickly. Beleive it or not, when my father retired as a conductor, his seniority number was in the single digits.

I doubt I'll start class on the 31st. People got letters ahead of me, but my moms is a CTA and said alot of the laided off S/A are turning it down. Probably why I got it. They'll reach my number on the S/A list and I'll get back to my old pay regardless, really needed this now tho.

CTA = Cleaner.

What's a CTA?

And don't worry too much about starting over in seniority. You took the promotional conductor exam so your going to start over AGAIN in seniority when you take it. And once they start calling all of the people on the O/C conductor exam like myself, your seniority will rise quickly. Beleive it or not, when my father retired as a conductor, his seniority number was in the single digits.

Cleaner Transit Authority.

I doubt I'll start class on the 31st. People got letters ahead of me, but my moms is a CTA and said alot of the laided off S/A are turning it down. Probably why I got it. They'll reach my number on the S/A list and I'll get back to my old pay regardless, really needed this now tho.

CTA = Cleaner.

A classmate of mines who's 103 on the preferred list got a letter from transit to report to 180 livingston st friday the 28th. I'am assuming I should be getting a letter this week as well. And there is also a union meeting on the 27th, I assume it's about people getting the letters and having to appear on friday at 180.

• 4 weeks later...
I'am to report to 180 Livingston st next friday morning the 25th @ 730am for re-employment. It's been a long 6 months but it's coming to a end now. I should be back work by april.

Congrats. I see they finally realized that the place was falling apart without you around.

Will

Is this for rehire for station agent or cleaner??

Station Agent, I may post a scan of the letter sent to me. It seems as if they are giving refresher classes of 10 people each week. The first class started on Jan. 24th. An original classmate of mines who's list number was 103 went down to 180 on Jan.28th and was informed she would be in a class starting on Mar. 14th. So since she's starting on that date and is only 11 people ahead of me I can expect to start work a week or two after her. So first week of April @ the latest.

Archived