Amtrak Free for Transit Authority Employees?

mark1447

I heard Amtrak access to its train services is free for SEPTA Employees with valid identification. Same for Amtraks having free access to the SEPTA services to Amtrak Employees. Is this true and since when has this been going on?

Does this applies to MTA NY/ NJT / MARC and other systems out there as well?

I heard Amtrak access to its train services is free for SEPTA Employees with valid identification. Same for Amtraks having free access to the SEPTA services to Amtrak Employees. Is this true and since when has this been going on?

MARC and SLE is operated with Amtrak employees, they get free travel systemwide except for the Acela.

Not sure that SEPTA employees get free Amtrak travel, where did you hear this?

MARC and SLE is operated with Amtrak employees, they get free travel systemwide except for the Acela.

Not sure that SEPTA employees get free Amtrak travel, where did you hear this?

I heard it from a SEPTA B/o who gets free NER ride to NY and back from philly

• 3 weeks later...

Officially, this is not permitted. In practice, many conductors 'honor' other railroad or even bus employees passes. This is an old tradition, that used to be fairly prevalent, but nowadays is becoming rarer and rarer. It is still fairly done in the northeast corridor, but in other parts of the country, much less so.

Officially, this is not permitted. In practice, many conductors 'honor' other railroad or even bus employees passes. This is an old tradition, that used to be fairly prevalent, but nowadays is becoming rarer and rarer. It is still fairly done in the northeast corridor, but in other parts of the country, much less so.

It makes a bit of sense to honor employee passes of your host and tenant railroads, but bus passes? Seriously?

It makes a bit of sense to honor employee passes of your host and tenant railroads, but bus passes? Seriously?

Yeah I know a SEPTA bus operator who has rode the Acela Express and NER for free with a bus pass o_O~

Former PRR conductors and EGL drivers would always honor each others passes...part of that goes back to the era from the early '30's to the early '50's when PRR owned half of EGL. It spread throughout the railroad and intercity bus industry in the northeast. This practice was not done so much for local transit operators.

• 4 weeks later...

Why the hell not huh what they don't come on A Bus??I've let on for free ...It's called courtesy ,Now don't be jealous cuz you gotta pay ok

Yeah I know a SEPTA bus operator who has rode the Acela Express and NER for free with a bus pass o_O~

Good

I doubt it's their policy to do so, but since Amtrak trains run along tracks and use stations owned by SEPTA and MTA MNRR, there probably is a lot of cross-honoring in those areas which makes a lot of sense. I don't ride amtrak too often, but I've seen MNRR employees wearing passes on those trains. As far as everyone else, probably depends on the crew you get. You can try your pass, but have a ticket ready since you can't by on-board Amtrak, you don't want to cause a seen.

Only employees and Amtrak pass riders (spouses, children) are allowed free travel on regional trains. Acela does not honor any pass riders and employees may only travel Acela if assigned a deadhead move on that train. Everyone else must have a ticket, that's the official policy. An open forum such as this is not a good place to discuss who you've seen "allowed" to travel onboard Amtrak trains either.

Only employees and Amtrak pass riders (spouses, children) are allowed free travel on regional trains. Acela does not honor any pass riders and employees may only travel Acela if assigned a deadhead move on that train. Everyone else must have a ticket, that's the official policy. An open forum such as this is not a good place to discuss who you've seen "allowed" to travel onboard Amtrak trains either.

Is "red, white, and blue" still in effect?

I can't speak for NJT and MARC (though I imagine the answer is yes, even if its not official). MTA it really depends. The conductors on LIRR and MNRR probably won't say anything, but it depends on the S/A in the subway. Either way, the freebie for different transit authorities really depends on where you are and who you're dealing with. Most people within the industry honor it as a courtesy, but still keep a pocket full of cash just in case.

IIRC, Amtrak owns the tracks between New Rochelle and Washington. That would make SEPTA the tenant rather than the landlord.

That might be correct in regard to SEPTA. I was thinking more in terms of Metro-North in which case Amtrak is the tenant, I believe on the NH Line as well. I'm not too familiar with railroads in PA, so should not have included SEPTA with that.

Just a note about the 40th anniversary venture back to previous paint schemes, namely of one, two, and three.

The present one (Phase 5) looks good, sharp, and professional. But to me, it also reminds me of the worst of Amtrak's, and our, decades. The so-called 'Shamu' version on the Genesis fleet came out in 2001, the year of 9/11. Many times of the past decade we nearly lost Amtrak not only through budget cuts, but from failing equipment components and infrastructure. The AEM7's and P42's are burning up, the long distance network is smaller than it ever was, thanks to axing the Sunset east of New Orleans, as well as the entire Pioneer, Desert Wind, and Broadway Limited. South of NY Northeast Corridor catenary wires and other electrical hardware is at the end of it's life. In many ways right now Amtrak is where Penn Central used to be, until the new cars and locomotives come on line quick.

Phase 5 therefore is a source of flashbacks to things I'd rather change or at least forget. When I saw #145 in Phase 3 it felt like Easter Sunday in a Cathedral: a phoenix resurrecting from the dead, bringing the spirit that the current state of affairs might still recover. And so it is. For that reason, I place my wish in its rightful place wherever wishes go, that Amtrak go towards a 'modified' Phase 2 or 3.

Archived