Outer boroughs have the highest commutes in the nation

Via Garibaldi 8

Speaking of 45-minute commutes, today, it took me 45 minutes to travel a lousy 2.3 miles to school. In 45 minutes, I could've easily walked to school.

On a good day, I can get there in about 25 minutes. By car, it is no more than 10 minutes.

Part of the reason commutes for the outer boroughs aren't longer is because, when a trip becomes too difficult to make on public transportation, people drive to work, which cuts down the commute significantly.

For example, if everybody in Staten Island commuted using public transportation, I'm sure the median commute would easily be over an hour. Some commutes require a circuituous commute by public transportation, but are a straight shot by car (like a trip from Mariners' Harbor to Tottenville)

By the way, how do they calculate the commute? Do they have the people mailing in the forms approximate how long it takes to get to work?

42.5 for SI-ers can't be right....

luckily, here in my neighborhood, we have dollar cabs....

I'll break my AM commute down....

using a dollar cab: ~15 min. commute to the train station (church av).... then a 20-25 min ride on the (B) to west 4th... yeah, it's about 40 minutes, not counting walking time... This is what I normally do.

not using a dollar cab: ~25 min. commute to the train station on the B35... then the same 20-25 min. ride to west 4th on the (:P.... and that's about right also, because it is about an hour for me to get to work if I take the bus...

If I take the dollar cab to church av (2), it's about a 5 min ride to the train station, then a 45 min ride to chambers (lot of times, it's closer to an hour though), and a 5-7 min ride on the (1) to christopher... that's not factoring in the wait for the 1 train..... This is why I long stopped taking the IRT to work... some days, that commute can take closer to 90 mins... and the 2 train crawls & stalls more than the B does in Brooklyn anyway....

so if it takes a person that lives smack dab in the middle of Brooklyn about 40 mins. to get to lower manhattan, how in the hell would it take a SI-er 2.5 mins. more, when the subway isn't even a direct option for them....

42.5 for SI-ers can't be right....

luckily, here in my neighborhood, we have dollar cabs....

I'll break my AM commute down....

using a dollar cab: ~15 min. commute to the train station (church av).... then a 20-25 min ride on the (B) to west 4th... yeah, it's about 40 minutes, not counting walking time... This is what I normally do.

not using a dollar cab: ~25 min. commute to the train station on the B35... then the same 20-25 min. ride to west 4th on the (:P.... and that's about right also, because it is about an hour for me to get to work if I take the bus...

If I take the dollar cab to church av (2), it's about a 5 min ride to the train station, then a 45 min ride to chambers (lot of times, it's closer to an hour though), and a 5-7 min ride on the (1) to christopher... that's not factoring in the wait for the 1 train..... This is why I long stopped taking the IRT to work... some days, that commute can take closer to 90 mins... and the 2 train crawls & stalls more than the B does in Brooklyn anyway....

so if it takes a person that lives smack dab in the middle of Brooklyn about 40 mins. to get to lower manhattan, how in the hell would it take a SI-er 2.5 mins. more, when the subway isn't even a direct option for them....

I could still believe it is 42 minutes. Like I said, if everybodu on SI took mass transit, it would easily be over an hour (probably closer to 1.5 hours)

However, many people on SI drive to work. I believe the percentage of people using cars to travel to work is somewhere between 60%-70%. Many of them drive onto an expressway or major road and can be at their job in a relatively small amount of time.

Also, you have to consider that there are people on Staten Island who work in Manhattan, but live in neighborhoods that have a relatively easy commute. Arrochar/South Beach/Grasmere have a whole bunch of express buses to Manhattan that can get there in 30 minutes or less. Near me, the X17J goes right onto the SIE and over the Goethals Bridge, getting to Manhattan in about 45 minutes.

Overall, if NYC had the percentage of auto-commuters that other cities have, traffic would be terrible, because of NYC's population density (more cars would be on the road at the same time). I could picture the average commute time being longer than 42 minutes if everybdoy drove.

I could still believe it is 42 minutes. Like I said, if everybodu on SI took mass transit, it would easily be over an hour (probably closer to 1.5 hours)

However, many people on SI drive to work. I believe the percentage of people using cars to travel to work is somewhere between 60%-70%. Many of them drive onto an expressway or major road and can be at their job in a relatively small amount of time.

Also, you have to consider that there are people on Staten Island who work in Manhattan, but live in neighborhoods that have a relatively easy commute. Arrochar/South Beach/Grasmere have a whole bunch of express buses to Manhattan that can get there in 30 minutes or less. Near me, the X17J goes right onto the SIE and over the Goethals Bridge, getting to Manhattan in about 45 minutes.

Overall, if NYC had the percentage of auto-commuters that other cities have, traffic would be terrible, because of NYC's population density (more cars would be on the road at the same time). I could picture the average commute time being longer than 42 minutes if everybdoy drove.

That's the thing....

I don't think they're factoring in the people that use their own personal vehicles.... looks like they're solely considering SI-ers that use mass transit..... I still can't believe 42.5 is the average for SI; I'd say it's closer to an hour, than it is to 45 mins.....

That's the thing....

I don't think they're factoring in the people that use their own personal vehicles.... looks like they're solely considering SI-ers that use mass transit..... I still can't believe 42.5 is the average for SI; I'd say it's closer to an hour, than it is to 45 mins.....

They count everybody, regardless of their mode of commuting. (walking, public transportation, car/carpool, and taxi)

This is a map that shows the current traveling time for Queens residents.

Queens-Commute-Time1.jpg

The other map below shows where in Brooklyn do people have access to the NYC Subway. The farther they are the more commuting time it takes them to get to work.

brooklyn-existing.jpg

There isn't a map for Manhattan, Bronx, or Staten Island sorry.

Still takes people longer to get home in Toronto then NYC

Remember Toronto has the 3rd largest city in North America guys. "TO' is bigger than Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Philly or SF.

Not to get too off topic but last time I went to Toronto around 5-6 years ago, the traffic on the QEW expressway(the highway that links Toronto with Buffalo)on a Monday (Labor Day weekend)was a parking lot that rivals any in the US.:)

Roadcruiser....

Don't know where you got that second map from, but I wouldn't call Sheepshead, Bed-Stuy, Mill Basin, Canarsie, and here in East Flatbush, transit deprived.... That map is just based on ppl's proximities to subway lines, which would still eliminate East Flatbush, Bed-Stuy, and Canarsie....

They count everybody, regardless of their mode of commuting. (walking, public transportation, car/carpool, and taxi)

If you say so....

Still takes people longer to get home in Toronto then NYC

Then how long DOES the average person take, while commuting up in Toronto?

This makes sense in regards to Staten Island commute times. One train line, a borough largely run on buses and having only the ferry taking you directly to Manhattan easily and clearly drives up travel time on public transit.

Here is all of the information you need to know about jobs and commuting in Staten Island:

http://www.city-data.com/work/work-Staten-Island-New-York.html

54.3% of all SI commuters drove a car alone, 12.1% carpooled and 0.4% took a taxi, so 66.8% of all commutes involved a car.

About 28% of all commutes were made with public transportation.

The remaining 5.2% of all commutes involved either walking, a bicycle, or some other mode of transportation.

70.1% of all commutes on public transportation exceeded 60 minutes.

So that should explain why the commute time isn't longer.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

It takes me about 45 mins to travel from my house (Glendale) to my job (East Midtown/Waterside Plaza). Late nights, depending on the (L) train its about 75-80 mins

Archived