Outer boroughs have the highest commutes in the nation

Via Garibaldi 8

This is why it's fundamental that the MTA looks to find ways with the DOT to do more with buses to make them faster instead of sitting in traffic... They also need to invest more in upgrading the subway system. There has been far too much signal problems this year leading to extensive delays, far more than I could ever remember.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/census_islanders_still_reign_a.html

I also don't know who in the world came up with an average of 42.5 minutes for Staten Island because I live on the North Shore near the SI Zoo and my commute is usually an hour and ten minutes minimum each way. The earliest I have ever gotten home is maybe 50 - 55 minutes. If you throw in a bus arriving early, you can make that an hour and a half or more. Sadly, the other outer boroughs are just as bad.

This is why it's fundamental that the MTA looks to find ways with the DOT to do more with buses to make them faster instead of sitting in traffic... They also need to invest more in upgrading the subway system. There has been far too much signal problems this year leading to extensive delays, far more than I could ever remember.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/census_islanders_still_reign_a.html

I also don't know who in the world came up with an average of 42.5 minutes for Staten Island because I live on the North Shore near the SI Zoo and my commute is usually an hour and ten minutes minimum each way. The earliest I have ever gotten home is maybe 50 - 55 minutes. If you throw in a bus arriving early, you can make that an hour and a half or more. Sadly, the other outer boroughs are just as bad.

This isn't an NYCT based topic. It's easy they come up with 42.5 minutes because they are averaging in all modes of transportation.

Again an advice for second and not meant to be rude. Please on the news stories as Chief Mod Harry once told me. Please just list the link and then offer your comments in another post. Thanks Garibaldi

Again an advice for second and not meant to be rude. Please on the news stories as Chief Mod Harry once told me. Please just list the link and then offer your comments in another post. Thanks Garibaldi

[/i]

I don't mean to be rude either, but that seems rather unnecessary. I mean what exactly is the point of creating two posts?

Are you an actual moderator? I have something that I need fixed. If so please let me know and I will message you in private.

Thanks.

I think I am...... lol!:P

Harry is The Administrator dude.

Senior Moderator = Super/Global Moderator. So yes, in a way, East New York outranks moderator status.

:cool:

Not just SI riders have a long trip to Midtown. Those also in Eastern Queens and the Northern part of the Bronx have long trips as well.

However those people can still use the LIRR/MNRR though.

Queens is big and some of the areas like Queens Village are quite far out. I also had a co-worker who commuted on the BXM10 from Morris Park.

Well it's their fault that they have long commute time. For example Staten Island NIMBYISM killed several past subway projects to Staten Island so blame them for that.

Express buses are fine. What we need is more frequent service. That would get more people out of their cars, which would inturn decrease congestion on Staten Island. To be honest with no traffic I can be in my office in an hour on the X30 on a good day. When there's traffic that can increase to an hour and twenty minutes or more, so it's no such much that we're so far out as it is the congestion.

Well it's their fault that they have long commute time. For example Staten Island NIMBYISM killed several past subway projects to Staten Island so blame them for that.

they also killed a few highways too, forcing everyone to use I-278 to get from one end to the other or pile down Victory Blvd and Richmond Ave

Some of you guys have titles and I'm wondering how they come about... (i.e. Senior Moderator) Can you just name yourself whatever? Hopefully I'm not opening up a can of worms... :eek:

Lol. No, you can't name yourself whatever you want! Where do they do that at?

Harry - Administrator/Webmaster/NYCTF Founder

Zach - Administrator

Me - Senior Moderator

Julio - Senior Moderator

Dan - Moderator

Zach - Administrator

Me - Senior Moderator

Julio - Senior Moderator

Dan - Moderator

About every other forum I've ever registered for allowed you to have your own avatar AND title, for free...

Zach - Administrator

Me - Senior Moderator

Julio - Senior Moderator

Dan - Moderator

I've seen at least 3 forums that had way over 10 different levels of mods/admins... 2 of which were hip-hop forums (one of them I was a member of, at the time)....

^^ there were level 1, 2, and level 3 mods, IIRC... then super mods, super super mods (or super S-mods), ultra mods, super ultra mods, ultra ultra mods, super admin, ultra admin... but the guy who created the forum, just had the regular admin title under his name.... there were more "levels", but I'm giving you an idea of the idiocy....

ultimately, the founder of the forum I'm speaking of, got his isht taken over by a corrupt, power hungry admin... the "takeover" I found funny b/c most us members saw somethin like that coming... What got me bent out of shape, was the fact I had so many yahoo briefcases (member those) with real player files (member that... lol) I had stored shared, specifically for that forum...

Queens is big and some of the areas like Queens Village are quite far out. I also had a co-worker who commuted on the BXM10 from Morris Park.

Back to topic. Problem Garibaldi 8 is that unlike SI, Queens and Bronx on most of it's express runs off peak has buses that are at best 'half-full' i.e 20-30 passengers off peak. I don't count Brooklyn is their Manhattan expess buses don't run on Sundays now.

IMO the (MTA), really needs to streamline their Bronx express buses. For instance why does the (BXM2) which runs between NY-Penn Station in Midtown and Riverdale Ave/263rd St run on weekends at all?

(BXM2) riders can have an easy 1-fare 2-bus ride? Riverdale Ave riders can use the BXm1 and transfer in East Midtown for crosstown service to West Side. Or use the BX7 and transfer to the M2, M3, M4 and M5 for Midtown service as well.

It makes more sense to run the BXm1 with 30-minute headways on Saturdays and use the $$$ to run an mostly empty BXM2 for increased service on other Bronx express lines like the BXM7 and BXm10.

Way I see it, Outerboroughs have the highest commutes in the nation b/c (in no order):

- subways are near, or at capacity on certain lines...

- people holding subway doors, especially at "major" stops....

- highways are (past) capacity... it's why we have so much ongoing construction on 'em as it is... this affects express bus commuting times...

- (manhattan's) local buses are slowed by intra-NYC drivers/traffic, as well as NJ, CT, LI, and Westchester...

- local buses period, what is it, have about a 500-700 foot distance between stops... that adds up to a lot of stops on a 5, 6, 7, 8+ mile route...

- # of people that embark & disembark per stop (subways or buses) got to be considerably higher, than other cities in the naych....

All of these, in some way, shape, or form, adds to commute times...

---

I mean, on the B35 in the morning, it takes almost 45 mins. alone to get from Utica av to E. 18th st av... using mapquest, that comes out to 1.7 miles... I'll do the math.

That's a grand total of 2.3 mph !

and it feels every bit of it too.

I'll take a "heavy" from Bee line & LIB as an example - The BL-20 & the N6 (local), respectively...

Do you know how far I can get in 45 mins on each of those routes? Sure as hell farther than some 1.7 miles, I'll tell you that much.....

Archived