Video Of An RTS Bus Blocking An FDNY Fire Engine On Kings Highway

EE Broadway Local

But, and this is a big 'but': Let's look at that last paragraph:

You blamed the firemen? You actually blamed an emergency vehicle for taking the quickest street, when there was clearly no way to know further down there was traffic up ahead.

But then you actually say it's the firetruck's fault for taking that street. That's, man, that's just... If my house is on fire, you bet I want the firetruck taking the most direct street, and I'm sure you'd want the same.

I never blamed the FD for taking that street, I blame the dumb ass FD who run up and down the road for not helping the driver to get through the tight ass spot !

He should have run up the street and spoted the driver through there. Stand near the right front corner and make sure the bus is as close as possible to the cars with out hitting them.

That would have helped the B/O to get that spot as fast as possible and clear the way for FD engine to get by.

how did I miss this thread....

aye, I'm kinda glad this YT-er upped this video...

* people rip on police, for whatever, like, everyday...

* people sometimes get on ambulances (police also) when they turn on the flashing lights, just so they can have the right of way, w/o there being an actual emergency....

...but no one speaks on firemen...

I put them in the same category as tow truck drivers & those private trash collectors (the ones you only see in the wee hrs. of the morning)... I seriously do think they (far moreso than police & ambulance drivers) enjoy driving reckless for the f**k of it... a lot of them be talkin shit when they're in that truck too! I find them to be more racist than your average cop, but that's neither here nor there....

despite what I think about a lot of firemen... I mean, to have blasted on the loudspeaker:

"MAYBE YOU SHOULDNT BE DRIVING A BUS"

speaks volumes.....

and from my vantage point, that fireman that went over to the driver, didn't do so to be of any help, but to be confrontational.... you saw how the bus driver threw up his hands....

anyway, that's over there on kings hwy & coney island av... kings highway gets tight west of ocean av... I mean, I don't blame the firemen for taking kings hwy - they have every right... but on the same side of the coin, there was NO WHERE for that bus to yield.... luckily, there wasn't no one parked where those two eastbound B82's were, or else that firetruck (and the ppl. that needed their assistance) would've been screwed; even if there were a place for that (featured, westbound) B82 to yield....

then we'd have that jerk blasting messages like:

MAYBE THE MTA SHOULDN'T BE HIRING BUS DRIVERS !

If the problem was that it was too tight with the other 2 buses in front of this bus, why didn't they try to back up (or have the people behind them back up)?? It seems like everyone knew this fire truck was trying to get through.

Also, the B/O also could have used his external PA to announce that he does not have enough room to pass, and needs everyone else to back up, or whatever. I get that he might have been unable to move, but he (or she) seems to have frozen just a little bit, at least from my perspective anyway.

If the problem was that it was too tight with the other 2 buses in front of this bus, why didn't they try to back up (or have the people behind them back up)?? It seems like everyone knew this fire truck was trying to get through.

Also, the B/O also could have used his external PA to announce that he does not have enough room to pass, and needs everyone else to back up, or whatever. I get that he might have been unable to move, but he (or she) seems to have frozen just a little bit, at least from my perspective anyway.

External PA ?

That small PA system is good enough to announce something to the customers at the bus stop, but it would not be enough to reach cars or buses up the road.

External PA ?

That small PA system is good enough to announce something to the customers at the bus stop, but it would not be enough to reach cars or buses up the road.

Really? It always seemed pretty loud to me. But of course, you are an actual B/O, so you would know a heck of a lot better than me, so I trust you on that one lol. Still, I think he could have at least tried it.

May I add my 2 cents? Judging from the video multiple times and actually driving down Kings Hwy in an FDNY ambulance in emergency mode during and after the blizzard, I can imagine doing things differently. For one I would have given the B/O every chance to pull over to the right or just continue untill there is room to move over, I understand that they drive in the same weather related conditions I do, so I totally give them respect and courtesy when I'm trying to save grandma or grandpa life. Second I would have my partner stop the bus and stop the opposite side of the traffic so I can go around the bus. Agreed an ambulance is nothing compared to a fire truck, but during training the EVOC lectures was the same. Being with the FDNY for awhile now, we do respond to emergencies and we don't act like we are big and tough, and honestly I yelled over the PA when it's necessary, but the fact of the matter is, I agree with the firefighters and it's not because I'm FDNY, It's what everyone else has been saying, "What if it was your house on fire?" At least the guys got out of the rig to tell the B/O to move or attempt to keep going. When responding to emergencies we expect that type of stupidity from drivers who love to slam the brakes, full knowing there is an emergency vehicle behind them. And to the the people who wanted to blame the FDNY for doing their job responding to an all-hands fire, for shame because the craziest thing was that I also responded to that call. Im not here to bash transit, but right is right and wrong is wrong. And one another note maybe the TA should see this, because if they see what kind of stress they are putting on their B/O's maybe they would stop threatening their jobs if they hit some idiot's BMW driver side mirror.

I think the bus driver froze a bit....but I have to side with the people saying the firemen drive crazy on the street....I mean I was doing the Qbx1 about 2 years ago heading from Mainstreet to the bronx and the fire house on the right just past E Tremont.... as I am pulling out of the stop they come blaring around the corner and blast right by me I had inches I tell you...Inches before this jerk crashed into me, then they jump out of the truck and hold the traffic so they can back in....now as I pass by the jerk he blasts me on the load speaker and says some crap like next time you better stop the bus! I stopped my bus opened the door and said I am sorry if I got in the way of you guys getting back to the garage to crack open a cold one....closed the door and left.......

A bit off topic but look at the recent video of the sanitation workers smashing up the parked cars......

Just because you have a city job does not make you own the streets!

A few bad apples usually ruin it for the whole bunch!

May I add my 2 cents? Judging from the video multiple times and actually driving down Kings Hwy in an FDNY ambulance in emergency mode during and after the blizzard, I can imagine doing things differently. For one I would have given the B/O every chance to pull over to the right or just continue untill there is room to move over, I understand that they drive in the same weather related conditions I do, so I totally give them respect and courtesy when I'm trying to save grandma or grandpa life. Second I would have my partner stop the bus and stop the opposite side of the traffic so I can go around the bus. Agreed an ambulance is nothing compared to a fire truck, but during training the EVOC lectures was the same. Being with the FDNY for awhile now, we do respond to emergencies and we don't act like we are big and tough, and honestly I yelled over the PA when it's necessary, but the fact of the matter is, I agree with the firefighters and it's not because I'm FDNY, It's what everyone else has been saying, "What if it was your house on fire?" At least the guys got out of the rig to tell the B/O to move or attempt to keep going. When responding to emergencies we expect that type of stupidity from drivers who love to slam the brakes, full knowing there is an emergency vehicle behind them. And to the the people who wanted to blame the FDNY for doing their job responding to an all-hands fire, for shame because the craziest thing was that I also responded to that call. Im not here to bash transit, but right is right and wrong is wrong. And one another note maybe the TA should see this, because if they see what kind of stress they are putting on their B/O's maybe they would stop threatening their jobs if they hit some idiot's BMW driver side mirror.

right is right and wrong is wrong...

tell me something...

what did this bus driver do that was so egregiously wrong?

....and lets not act as if this particular FDNY crew there were outstanding professionals in all this....

This is the same as 8th Avenue too. :tup:

8th av in brooklyn, you mean?

problem along 8th av is that you have double-parkers all over the place (and it's usually those mini-buses & large vans also.. sometimes, it's those full-fledged charter buses too)... the high concentration of pedestrians (jaywalkers) doesn't help matters either....

that's not really a problem on that segment of kings hwy... both are rather narrow main roads though (if that's what you meant)

NYS requires all vehicles to pull to the right most point in the road and remain stopped until the emergency vehicles pass. Why didn't the fire truck use the opposing lanes? Also, the continued use of a siren can cause people to freeze up driving, so people on the street yelling, sirens wailing, passengers likely yelling, a fireman yelling through window. The B/O froze, plain and simple, not a good thing, bit the one thing that is hammered into all MTA B/Os when in doubt, stop. Too bad the FDNY continues to act like a bunch of teenagers on steroids when driving and displays such road rage.

• 3 weeks later...

NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law:

§ 1144. Operation of vehicles on approach of authorized emergency vehicles. (A) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle equipped with at least one lighted lamp exhibiting red light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of such vehicle other than a police vehicle or

bicycle when operated as an authorized emergency vehicle, and when audible signals are sounded from any said vehicle by siren, exhaust whistle, bell, air-horn or electronic equivalent; the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right of way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to the right-hand

edge or curb of the roadway, or to either edge of a one-way roadway three or more lanes in width, clear of any intersection, and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by a police officer.

Archived