Future of West Hempstead Branch

TML

its not the speed that makes people shy away from Greenport, its the lack of frequent service where and when they need it. Plus they have to compete with Hampton Jitney Express Bus service.

Plus the scheduling itself leaves much to be desired.

Say youre a 9 to 5er living in Medford or Yaphank and you need to get to work. You have one choice of train, the 5:30 from greenport, you change at ronkonkoma but if youre going to penn you have to change twice since that 6:53 from ronkonkoma is a one stop to Atlantic Terminal.

Going home from Penn your only peak train is a 5:41 out of Penn Station. Which does you no good if you work late, if they could put in at least a late evening train out there it may put peoples mind at ease about not being able to get back home.

its not the speed that makes people shy away from Greenport, its the lack of frequent service where and when they need it. Plus they have to compete with Hampton Jitney Express Bus service.

Plus the scheduling itself leaves much to be desired.

Say youre a 9 to 5er living in Medford or Yaphank and you need to get to work. You have one choice of train, the 5:30 from greenport, you change at ronkonkoma but if youre going to penn you have to change twice since that 6:53 from ronkonkoma is a one stop to Atlantic Terminal.

Going home from Penn your only peak train is a 5:41 out of Penn Station. Which does you no good if you work late, if they could put in at least a late evening train out there it may put peoples mind at ease about not being able to get back home.

Or at least have a 9-10pm train leaving Atlantic Terminal weekdays so riders going to West Hempstead line stations have an easy 1-transfer connection at Jamaica.

I still stand by take that if and ever West Hempstead weekend service returns it should 2-hour 'shuttle service' on Saturdays only between West Hempstead and Jamaica.

Many regional rails in the Virgina towns near Washington DC or the Va Railways don't run on Sundays and yet operate Monday-Saturdays.

Like I said before no one has to worry about the Oyster Bay,West Hempstead or Greenport Lines completely closing, a lot of towns in LI have strong political power which will prevent this from happening. Service reductions are one thing, full line closures are another.

Oyster Bay ridership is low, but it's not low enough to justify closing the branch. There's even a direct Penn Station-Oyster Bay train that leaves at 6:16 PM.

How about LIRR acquiring Gennies to run 90mph+ for the diesel sections?

The signal system as well as other infrastructure (tracks, curves etc.) wouldn't support such speeds and the ridership wouldn't even remotely make it worth the investment.

Oyster Bay ridership is low, but it's not low enough to justify closing the branch. There's even a direct Penn Station-Oyster Bay train that leaves at 6:16 PM.

Well according to the study I mentioned before...total weekday ridership for the Oyster Bay Branch on weekdays is 2,624...saturdays is 681, sunday ridershp is 545. So yeah i'd say ridership is good enough to keep the line open.

The other thing is that the Oyster Bay Branch provides transit not adequately provided by any other means. Now, I wonder if service to the Oyster Bay station should be reduced, with most service ending in Locust Valley.

Now, I have not seen the ridership counts to see if it would be better to end alternating trains at Glen Street, but not every train should go up to Oyster Bay. Most of the stations are in residential areas, but I don't see ridership as so low as to kill weekend service, let alone the entire line. Perhaps Sunday service to Oyster Bay could be discontinued (except seasonally).

West Hempstead branch, the main stations that get people are Saint Albans, Malverne, Lakeview and West Hempstead, the other ones have very few people.

I still believe its a damn shame they couldn't make this line work on weekends.

Ive rode both on weekends, Oyster Bay did have more people on it, they have a few populated stops, East Williston, Roslyn, Glen Cove and Glen St, the ridership starts to thin out north of there.

Archived