Question about the Times Square station

Gorgor

I read here that the shuttle is 20 feet below the ground and 7th avenue is 40 feet below the ground. The stations aren't that far apart, and since the last track on the shuttle's connected to the uptown (1) tracks, does that mean there's a 20 foot rise from the 7th avenue station to the shuttle station?

I can see the 7th avenue station from the track 4 platform but it doesn't look like there's a drop or anything.

Those figures are approximate, but in a nutshell, the tracks do rise a bit. Track 4 of the Shuttle line connects with the northbound uptown local track of the (1). If you look down the tunnel to where the Seventh Avenue trains are, you should notice a gradient that the trains have to climb, but it's not that steep.

One of the very lamented changes to the subway that I'm not fond of is the removal of the rail-fan-window, the view out of the front of the train. That view and watching the rails from the front end of the train is often very instructive. In addition, watching the view from the back end of the train can be instructive also.

From the 50th Street local station of the IRT, as the tracks approach the Times Square station the tracks begin to dip, there is something else going on. The original subway curved to meet the tracks that form what is now the Times Square Shuttle - originally a local station in 1904. From the front of the train one can see the pathway where the tracks curved to the original station, and one can also see where the tracks dip to the new station. The local and express tracks move the way they do in this area - to resist the curve, and to line up with the old tracks - north of the Times Square station.

When the IRT subway was originally built in 1904 many of the local stations were built close to the surface, since they often did not have mezzanines, however some did have cross-under passageways.

Mike

When the IRT subway was originally built in 1904 many of the local stations were built close to the surface, since they often did not have mezzanines, however some did have cross-under passageways.

Mike

And 100 yars later that's kinda a doozey for cell phone users as people can get reception on the platforms that are so close to the surface. I can get reception at 14th Street - Union Square (mezzanine), Bowling Green, Times Square on the Shuttle, and even Grand Central...just to name a few. Heck, before my train at Grand Central left to Times Square, I had a five-minute convo on the phone with my friend while i was on the train...he was in WTF mode, lol.

The best cell reception that I get is at the Bowling Green station near the original entrance at the south end of the Brooklyn bound platform, or near the outside stairway on the uptown platform.

Certain parts of the Whitehall Street complex get good reception.

There is one section of the Atlantic AVenue-Pacific Street complex is just GREAT - just off the Brooklyn-bound side of the #2 and #3 lines under the open ceiling of the original head house. Plenty of folks stand near the steps and use their phone - even cops.

Sometimes it is really interesting when riding underground for your phone to get reception as the train moves along, and then to lose it.

Mike

There's a shuttle on 7th Avenue?

Wasn't there a picture of an R143's Strip Map on the (L) that had a red (S)?

There is/was a red (S) on the (L) strip map, but that has nothing to do with 7th Avenue (I think it was a mis-coloring of the old orange (S)

I think you would get cellphone signal receptions crossing the Manhattan Bridge won't you?. Also the (MTA) is planning to put cellphone service down in the tunnels.

You do get reception on the Manny B and Willy B.

The best cell reception that I get is at the Bowling Green station near the original entrance at the south end of the Brooklyn bound platform, or near the outside stairway on the uptown platform.

Certain parts of the Whitehall Street complex get good reception.

There is one section of the Atlantic AVenue-Pacific Street complex is just GREAT - just off the Brooklyn-bound side of the #2 and #3 lines under the open ceiling of the original head house. Plenty of folks stand near the steps and use their phone - even cops.

Sometimes it is really interesting when riding underground for your phone to get reception as the train moves along, and then to lose it.

Mike

In terms of underground portions of the line, I've gotten service at a few interesting places over the years with Verizon. Two of my favorites are Fulton Street (4)(5) and by the bumping block on Shuttle 3 track at Grand Central

Archived