(1986)Time Sq & Port Authority Subway station

R33WF

I watched that in amazement. That's the subway I remember when I was a child. I was 7 in 1986 and I totally remember riding on the 7th Ave Line and 8th Ave Line at that time. It's night and day to where we are 25 years later. In a strange way, I kinda miss it but not all of it. Thanks for sharing that video. Wow, wow and WOW!!!!!

LOL! I think it's probably cause we didn't have computers running the system and we didn't need FIND and recorded announcements. Not only that, but we didn't have trains linked in four or five cars sets back then either and the trains could go much quicker then today as long as they were working that is.

Your forgetting the R44 and R46.

They still had roll signs and were in singles during 1986. Those cars weren't given LCDs until they were overhauled from 1989-1992. They weren't linked in four car sets until 1995 along with the R68/As.

Those cars have been linked since they started running in the 70's,they arn't single unit cars.

I did hear the R62As did have issues that Bombardier needed to work out. This explains the considerable amount of R17-R36 cars that were still on the (1) and (3) lines. As a matter of fact I wouldn't be too surprised if almost the entire R17/21/22 fleets were still in service during 1986. By the way look at 0:21 on the video as that is definitely an R62/62A.

I don't know much about fleet numbers for that period of time but I can tell you that when 1986 ended, the (1) was mostly if not completely a R62A line and the (3) was just starting to get them cause I remember seeing one for the very first time around Dec 1986 while on the (1) (a R62A) and asking my mom "is that the (3)?" LOL The (3) wasn't completely a R62A line until either the very end of 1987 or 1988, which I know for sure it was a full R62A line by then. Ahhh the memories!!!! :):cool::tup:

Archived