Official Surface Transit Trivia

East New York

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
East New York.

Correct!

Crosstown?

On August 5, 1981 NYCT's first GMC RTS T80-204, #1201 goes into service on Route B17. The B17 was a Crosstown Depot route which transfered to the East New York Depot that day upon the the arrival of the RTS, and closing of the depot.

Next Question: In what year did the State Legislature create The New York City Transit Authority(NYCT) to manage and operate all city run buses, subways and EL's?

I am going with 1962.

No, but in 1962 NYS created NYCTA subsidiary MaBSTOA to take over The Fifth Avenue Coach Company which ran what is now the Bx15, M1-M7, M42, M100, Q32, and also take over Surface Transit Inc. who ran what is now the M98, M101-M103. The two companies shared what is now the M104 in order to save on costs and they were loosing lots of money.

Correct. On June 15, 1963 NYS creates the NYCTA, headquartered at 370 Jay Street, and tokens debut in the subway system the same day. The new NYCTA is known internally as "The TA."

Next question: On April 29, 1973 the Bronx 3rd Av El train end operations and is replaced by what new bus route?

Correct.

Next Question: When did the 146 Street Depot open, and what was it used for?

I guess no one knows this one. 146 st opened as The Lenox Av Car House on July 31, 1939. The Depot was converted for bus operations in the early 50's, and re-named The Mother Clara Hale Depot in 1993.

Next Question: What 1998 NovaBus RTS was scrapped due to a fire, and replaced in the 1999 order with the same bus number. The bus in question was scrapped not too long ago due to yet another accident.

What 1998 NovaBus RTS was scrapped due to an accident, and replaced in the 1999 order with the same bus number. The bus in question was scrapped not too long ago due to yet another accident.

Correct. 9656 is the only 1999 Nova RTS to have a 9000 series number.

Next Question: What private lines company orerated most Brooklyn routes prior to the take-over by NYCTA?

Command.

Nope. At this time, there was actually 2 PBL companies, and neither was Command. Command was created on October 22, 1979 to take over Pioneer Bus Company operations, which only included the B100, B103, and the BM1-BM3. The other company in question was taken over by NYCTA to create the Brooklyn Division. This company was headquartered at the East New York Depot.

• 2 months later...
Crap, I read the first post and I went ballistic going to post Jamaica Depot and then I realized we went over that question a while ago >.< lol.

I have no idea for this one. I would say Command, but that's obviously wrong.

LOL.. The answer is staring everyone right in the face! It's all over this board. Everyone thinks it's harder than it is, and I guarantee every bus & railfan know it, but don't know that they know!!!:)

Archived