Not enough room in the TM?

MainStreetBound7

Somehow, someone in this thread is gonna bring up either up Hoyt-Schermerhorn or the Nassau St line between Chambers & Essex Sts. Eventually the TM is gonna run out of room and eventually we're (the TM) is gonna have to figure out where to put all of them

I was going to suggest the lower level at Bergen St, but that's a terrible idea.

Especially since at some point, the lower level of Bergen Street may very well see service again.

Where it is now (the former Court Street Station) works, but sometime in the future, they might have to find space in a new location for all the cars, especially when the time comes to retire the R46's, R62's, R62A's and R68's among other cars.

Yeah, but who would go to Ninth Avenue just to see a train. We would need to put it somewhere were there would be a crowd or else it would lose money. I often suggested digging another level under the existing Court Street station. I once suggested that we put the trains in a building, but the electricity demand, the weight/length of the trains, and the tracks is just too much for any building.

I don't see how an abandoned section of station could be used for museum displays other than the current New York Transit Museum.

The fleet gets rotated from time to time so the same old thing never gets displayed year round (for the most part, that is).

They could also use the lower level of 9th Avenue. It has 4 tracks and 2 platforms and only 1 platform is used once in a while for the garbage train. So that still makes 3 tracks to store. A lot of space there.

Or they could use 2nd ave, regular service there doesn't need 4 tracks. If anything just build a smaller station for regular service with only 2 or 3 tracks.

They could also use the lower level of 9th Avenue. It has 4 tracks and 2 platforms and only 1 platform is used once in a while for the garbage train. So that still makes 3 tracks to store. A lot of space there.

Correction: Ninth Avenue lower level has three tracks, just like the upper level does. The problem however is that the middle track is used so garbage trains can access the refuse platform at 37th Street, so it must be vacant at all times.

Correction: Ninth Avenue lower level has three tracks, just like the upper level does. The problem however is that the middle track is used so garbage trains can access the refuse platform at 37th Street, so it must be vacant at all times.

Yes, and garbage trains passing through the museum would not make a pretty sight.

Okay. This topic's here. Might as well.

My suggestion: the abandoned half of the Nassau line.

Archived