Not enough room in the TM?

MainStreetBound7

Jeebus Christ, stop smoking the reefer and get back to reality.

Literally this exact thread seems to come up every 2 month on this place and it's always the same half-baked (pun intended) ideas over and over again.

"Build a lower lower level to the museum"

"Expand to some unrelated abandoned station somewhere else in the city so there's two museums that have nothing to do with each other that a visitor can't possibly see both the same day"

"Build a new yard"

"Build another museum"

"[insert personal agenda here]"

My vote is to CLOSE this repetitive and unnecessary thread since these are questions for people other than railfans to worry about how to solve.

Many museums simply rotate their exhibitions depending upon the season or planned events. The Transit Museum could simply have dedicated storage tracks at an accessible train yard, and could just simply move trains into and out of the exhibit as needed for various events.

One track or a portion of one track could be "permanent", for example the back part of the station, while the portion nearest the entrance could be used for short trains that rotate into and out of the Museum.

Mike

Yes, and garbage trains passing through the museum would not make a pretty sight.

Okay. This topic's here. Might as well.

My suggestion: the abandoned half of the Nassau line.

I knew someone was gonna bring this idea up lol, I even said it in the 2nd post of this thread. But imma tell you why it can't happen...

The original northbound local track is still an active track for diesels or rerouted (J)(Z) trains in casde something happens. In the vincinity of Essex St, that same track is used by (M) comming from off the Chrystie cut (and the occasional (J) train at nights for some reason). The northbound express track doesn't exist anymore ever past Essex St since they reconfigured the whole Nassau St line to use just the original southbound tracks. They removed the tracks completely

Correction: Ninth Avenue lower level has three tracks, just like the upper level does. The problem however is that the middle track is used so garbage trains can access the refuse platform at 37th Street, so it must be vacant at all times.

Nope, 4 tracks. Check this diagram and you'll see it:

9Ave.diag.gif

But even if it had 3, then it would still leave 2 tracks for the TM.

Sorry, I must be too tired so see that it was three indeed.

But still, that leaves 2 tracks and 2 platforms for the TM.

Still won't work, that middle track separates the two platforms apart. A bridge can't be built over it either, because the train won't be able to access the refuse platform north of the station.

I knew someone was gonna bring this idea up lol, I even said it in the 2nd post of this thread. But imma tell you why it can't happen...

The original northbound local track is still an active track for diesels or rerouted (J)(Z) trains in casde something happens. In the vincinity of Essex St, that same track is used by (M) comming from off the Chrystie cut (and the occasional (J) train at nights for some reason). The northbound express track doesn't exist anymore ever past Essex St since they reconfigured the whole Nassau St line to use just the original southbound tracks. They removed the tracks completely

Not only that, but if the SAS is connected to the Nassau Street line in the future, I can see it where the old configuration goes back into use at Canal Street and Bowery for the J while the "express" tracks are used are the SAS at Canal Street (coming from Houston).

Not only that, but if the SAS is connected to the Nassau Street line in the future, I can see it where the old configuration goes back into use at Canal Street and Bowery for the J while the "express" tracks are used are the SAS at Canal Street (coming from Houston).

I think it's too early to think about when the SAS gets to Nassau.

Many museums simply rotate their exhibitions depending upon the season or planned events. The Transit Museum could simply have dedicated storage tracks at an accessible train yard, and could just simply move trains into and out of the exhibit as needed for various events.

One track or a portion of one track could be "permanent", for example the back part of the station, while the portion nearest the entrance could be used for short trains that rotate into and out of the Museum.

Mike

Best idea I have seen on this thread so far.

Another benefit of rotating part of a museum's exhibits is to promote more visits by repeat customers.

And it would be great if when rotating equipment from/to the storage facility, they could try to operate the move as a revenue raising fan trip...

Best idea I have seen on this thread so far.

Another benefit of rotating part of a museum's exhibits is to promote more visits by repeat customers.

And it would be great if when rotating equipment from/to the storage facility, they could try to operate the move as a revenue raising fan trip...

Changing exhibits anywhere costs money...and a lot more than you might think...

Short non revenue moves don't particularly interest the majority of the TM's public which extends well beyond railfans, plus they aren't necessarily as exciting as you might think. There's also a host of operational considerations and safety considerations that would make doing that prohibitive

Changing exhibits anywhere costs money...and a lot more than you might think...

Short non revenue moves don't particularly interest the majority of the TM's public which extends well beyond railfans, plus they aren't necessarily as exciting as you might think. There's also a host of operational considerations and safety considerations that would make doing that prohibitive

The fact that it costs to change exhibits is all the more reason to try to realize some income as a result to help defray the costs.

And if it is just a short hop between the storage facility and the museum, why not operate a longer fantrip as part of the move?

As for safety....instead of boarding passengers in the yard, they can use a nearby station.

Museums Change Their Exhibits All The Time

Yes, it costs some money to change exhibits - nothing is free. Usually some of portion of a museum's collection is permanently presented, and there are spaces that display different exhibits throughout the year. It is not rocket science - look at the Museum of the City of New York, or the Met, or MOMA. To have a museum that never ever ever changes any of its exhibits, means that the public might become bored, and not return.

The Transit Museum has changed and added to it's exhibits over the years, while keeping some portions the same. They have even changed (over long periods of time) some of the trains that get stored there. It's not like change has never occurred.

Mike

The fact that it costs to change exhibits is all the more reason to try to realize some income as a result to help defray the costs.

And if it is just a short hop between the storage facility and the museum, why not operate a longer fantrip as part of the move?

As for safety....instead of boarding passengers in the yard, they can use a nearby station.

And exhibits in the TM do change. But they can't change constantly because it is not cost effective to do so. Plus there is an incentive for keeping many exhibits the same also...visitors sharing with their friends. Person A sees exhibit A and thinks it's great, so person A tells person B. Person B is excited and goes, but exhibit A has been changed out and is no longer there. Person B will be disappointed, and Person A will also. You need elements of both...some static exhibits, some changing. Which is exactly what the TM has.

You overestimate the willingness of railfans to spend money on "fantrips". A large portion of the customer base for fantrips is NOT railfans. And a good number of railfans claim that they don't like to ride (they'd rather photograph) yet is seen every year riding on every single one of the free trips...hmm...

Trust me when I say this as someone that understands and knows about all of what goes on with the musical chairs of what museum cars go where that what you are advocating (railfans on yard moves) is not possible, and places undue stress on museum resources to coordinate such things which are already difficult enough to coordinate as it is. Plus I guarantee it is not nearly as exciting as you are making it out to be.

Train yards are dangerous places and it's not playtime. A lot of people in this hobby don't grasp that. That means you need yard resources freed up to supervise anyone in a yard. Not the only consideration but one of many that makes this not realistic.

Plus the costs to replace/maintain a part that gets worn out must be expensive. So wouldn't it be best to not run the cars so often?

As for the possible locations, I'm not going to bother commenting on this anymore. [Not worth it and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.] The only reason this would ever be brought up for real is if the SAS were to get to LM and the MTA deciding they want to activate the Court St station for revenue service.

Train yards are dangerous places and it's not playtime. A lot of people in this hobby don't grasp that. That means you need yard resources freed up to supervise anyone in a yard. Not the only consideration but one of many that makes this not realistic.

I thought that was what I said...

Archived