Pardon my stupidiness

Jonesy

Stupidness? :( Anyway for MTA Bus there are no bike racks (none for NYCT either). I do recall that before the merger of the 7 private bus lines to (MTA) Bus, Queens Surface did have bike racks on a few Orion V CNG's. I don't have any photos but I have seen them.

I can't think of any bus in the New York metro area with bike racks, even though South Jersey has them for NJ Transit (except for the MCIs) and SEPTA has them too.

I've seen them on the SEPTA buses and wondered if the buses in New York would ever get them. I can't see them working out.

NJT and SEPTA bus routes are mostly inter-urban and suburban with routes in cities such as philadelphia, trenton, newark etc as well. If you could imagine a bus being held up by a bike rider, who for all intents and purposes would probably be riding past the bus on his bike. Near where i live you can't do that unless you're lance armstrong, because the suburban busses travel on highways where bikes aren't even allowed. Los of PA and NJ are rural where NJT and SEPTA have routes. NYC has not enough space and not enough time to bother with a bike rack. I've seen some SEPTA busses with mount points for the racks, and the rest have the actual racks. As for NJT i am not exposed to those busses enough away from say trenton to know. One thing that may work with MTA bus routes is only allowing bikes to be taken off & put on at specific stop on specific routes. Also, you don't want it to be stolen...

- Andy

They should've kept it for atleast just the QBx1 route or something, it sucks that you can't take your bike across the bridge thanks to the fact that MTA took down bus racks. We should have bus racks on routes that goes over bridges where bikes can't go!

They should've kept it for atleast just the QBx1 route or something, it sucks that you can't take your bike across the bridge thanks to the fact that MTA took down bus racks. We should have bus racks on routes that goes over bridges where bikes can't go!

I don't see what would stop someone from wheeling their bike into the elevator at that station and then taking it across the bridge, though.

I don't see what would stop someone from wheeling their bike into the elevator at that station and then taking it across the bridge, though.
How about getting hit by cars, trucks, buses, possibly get knocked off the bridge? There ain't a way for people to ride thier bikes across Whitestone Bridge.

How about getting hit by cars, trucks, buses, possibly get knocked off the bridge? There ain't a way for people to ride thier bikes across Whitestone Bridge.

I should add that I have seen buses with bike racks being used on highways with a speed limit of as high as 65. Just last weekend, I saw an RTS on the Atlantic City Expressway with both slots used.

It is that no one is clamoring for them in Metro New York, plain and simple. If the bikes can hold on crappy South Jersey roads, they can certainly handle the Whitestone.

Archived