Quesion about this Detour

Abba

(4)(5) Trains bypass Fulton St in both directions

Weekend, 1 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Mar 5 - 7 | Mar 12 - 14

(J) Shuttle train runs between Fulton St and Chambers St-Brooklyn Bridge.

For service to uptown Manhattan and the Bronx, take the (J) shuttle to

Chambers St-Brooklyn Bridge where(4)(5)trains are available.

For Brooklyn service, take the(2) or(3) to Borough Hall or Nevins St and transfer to the(4) .

(2)(3) and(A) service to/from Fulton St is not affected.

Are they going to really be running a shuttle train or will the (J) just be extended one stop?

Its probably a waste of money to run a shuttle train in my opinion.

Guest lance25

Why does it always have to be a (J) shuttle? What's wrong with a simple (S) designation? Just because it runs on the Nassau Street line, that doesn't make it a (J) train. It's the same thing with the Essex St to Prospect Park shuttle. Does upper management get their jollies out of confusing the average rider?

Why does it always have to be a (J) shuttle? What's wrong with a simple (S) designation? Just because it runs on the Nassau Street line, that doesn't make it a (J) train. It's the same thing with the Essex St to Prospect Park shuttle.

But then at the same time, it can be referred to as an "extended (J) line".

I think it simply has to do with not confusing the riders, the causal riders, more than necessary. By saying the J-train, causal riders can look on a map and see where the J-train goes, even if the J-train is just shuttling back and forth between two stations.

Most of the riding public are not transit fans - they take the subway to where they need to go, and that's about the level of awareness of the other lines and stations. Cutting down on confusion is probably the rationale of the MTA.

This transfer is good basically for the person, say an A-train user coming from Brooklyn who needs to travel by the #4 or #5 lines. Since there is no other connection between the #4 and #5 lines - this is a good substitute. Persons who are walking the street can be told to use the Wall Street station about a 3-5 minute walk away from Fulton Street, or the Brooklyn Bridge station which is a bit more of a walk away. This beats the out-of-system transfer that was often used when the A and C train platforms at Fulton Street was closed for the renovation work.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

Guest lance25

Probably. If I had to guess, this shuttle will use the southbound "local" track going back and forth so as not to interfere with the normal Chambers St-bound (J) trains.

Theres an R42 in ENY with the front sign set to (S)... I wonder if its going to be used for that...

The side signs also say (S) & I think I can make out the top side sign saying "Shuttle", and bottom "Chambers Street".

I think that set is going to be used for the shuttle...

Archived