Subway Derailment on the (N) Line

I personally like all of the subway car types. It gives a good "old & new" cross section and lots of character to the whole city and the subway system. I think it would be a really good idea if some of the next cars (MTA) gets look classically old but are super modern in terms of comfort reliability & safety. Toss them out there on random runs, and assign them to run on the (1)(E)(7)(7x) (4)(N) and (F) lines. Obviously the 2 divisiouns would have different car types, but they should try harder to replicate the warm, and industrial feel of the older cars. Might be a good idea to do this to subway stations too, i am not a huge fan of the stainless steel turnstyles, i much prefer a cast iron look/feel such as the fences and emergency gates have going on.

I think the (MTA) also should be given credit for performing the task of moving so many people with relatively few disruptions, even if it means your favorite type of transit vehicle is updated/replaced.

- Andy

Just to clarify a few things.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT SUBWAY CAR DERAILED. ANY SUBWAY CAR CAN DERAIL. PLEASE TELL ME HOW IT'S THE SUBWAY CAR'S FAULT THAT IT DERAILED. It was most probably a track problem, or the T/O wasn't obeying a speed limit. It was on a curve I think, just north of Canal Street.

And also this is a minor thing. The train will probably have some work done on it and return back to service. It's not like R143 8277, or that scene in Money Train when the Money Train derails...

Also, to East New York, the wheel didn't pop off, it just got off the rail on the third car(in other word,s popping off the rail).

True, any subway car can derail...

This derail was at a "safe" speed relatively speaking so there's no reason to think any of these cars would get scrapped.

Also the derailment was in the area around the curve S/B between 5th ave/59th and 57th/7th...not sure if those cross over switches were involved, they were in bad shape and had work done on them recently

another rumor has it being a guard rail that came off, so it could be track but idk how true this is

This derail was at a "safe" speed relatively speaking so there's no reason to think any of these cars would get scrapped.

Also the derailment was in the area around the curve S/B between 5th ave/59th and 57th/7th...not sure if those cross over switches were involved, they were in bad shape and had work done on them recently

another rumor has it being a guard rail that came off, so it could be track but idk how true this is

The track sections are bolted together, so it is easily assumed that if a bolt plate or enough bolts fail the track would indeed become prone to causing an incident.

- Andy

Well what I meant to say is that the statement is unconfirmed. If the guard rail did indeed fail, that would certainly explain it.

To whoever said it, these cars aren't going to get scrapped either, maybe some repairs are in order, but not much more. The R160's are here to stay like it or not.

I as much as anyone will miss the older car classes, particularly the R32 - R42 types as they were some of the most unique cars in the system. I grew up spoiled with so many different car types ("you got the red ones, the green ones -R10s and of late the museum arnines, the fancy new ones, the silver slanty ones, the boxy striped ones, the boxy half striped ones, and the ones that look like Heepos!") that the subway in NYC was an adventure compared to anywhere else I've been. But the thing is that wasn't always the norm, during the redbird and pre-redbird era all those cars looked alike and in the arnine/low V era this was more or less true as well in each division. Everybody's just gonna have to get used to it, not going to stop being interested in transit or riding the subway just because the interiors of the NTT's remind me of a hospital waiting room. Those cars got a lot of cool stuff in them, my only beef with them is that interior feel - personally I like the R46 interior best - but I'm not going to wish the cars bad and hope for unlikely scenarios where they get scrapped, and in the end what I think doesn't matter anyway. I am enlightened I know these things :cool::)

All i will say is this..

T/O is NOT at Fault(hooray!!!):):D

This wont be a RTO Charge

Thats all i can say until the investigation is complete, a few departments are involved.

First off you take your love for the NTT too seriously. And a few months ago when an siemens R160 hit some trackworker equipment and they used an r40 slant to take its place. Same goes for when the siemens R160s had gearbox problems they used R40 slants in its place. They probaly took one set out of storage and put it on the (N) line. The f@#%ing wheel fell off train they are not going to put it in service the next day. Every time they have problems with R160s they always use R40s in its place.

Thats not true and it takes atleast a month to put them back in service and the N will not get an R40 slant maybe an extra R68, And You need to stop posting these stupid posts. All you are is a super foamer and you foam way way to much!!!!! I am not a big fan of new subway cars but the R160B are good and the worst new subway cars are the R142's not the R142A's,R143 and R160A/B's!!!

Look. The main point of a derailment is either the train speed or the condition of the tracks. Those tracks were old, and it is likely that it was the ties may have come loose. But you can't blame the train! You blame the driver.

Look. The main point of a derailment is either the train speed or the condition of the tracks. Those tracks were old, and it is likely that it was the ties may have come loose. But you can't blame the train! You blame the driver.

But if it was something else, you can't blame the operator either if it wasn't his fault.

How are you going to blame the driver? If he was going to kill everybody, then he would have went like 60 miles on that switch track. He's innocent. Looks like we'll be seeings some track geometry cars won't we lol.

How are you going to blame the driver? If he was going to kill everybody, then he would have went like 60 miles on that switch track. He's innocent. Looks like we'll be seeings some track geometry cars won't we lol.

In the account in the full news story a witness said the brakes were applied before the joltings took place. This tells me that the driver saw something and tried his best to slow the train and avoid a major incident. As i aid before, i think he's the hero of the story, not the cause of it.

- Andy

I guess next weekend's G.O. will read:

(N) No trains between 42 St and Queensboro Plaza.

(R) Trains run on the (F) between 57 St / 7 Av and 36 St, Queens ( Via 63 St )

(Q) Trains terminate at 42 St.

For Queens (N) Service, use the (7) between Times Square and Queensboro Plaza.

Perhaps?:)

OR.....

To keep Broadway at minimum of Service:

(R) Trains run on the (D) between Pacific St and 47 St, then on the (F) to 36 St.

(N) Local via Whitehall runs to 57 St

(Q) Express to 42 St

I should definitely be in the (MTA)'s service change department..

Perhaps?:)

OR.....

(R) Trains run on the (D) between Pacific St and 47 St, then on the (F) to 36 St.

(Q) Express to 42 St

Haha nice work...yours truly might be riding the ®omeo next weekend if that's true...never ridden the Broadway tracks to 63rd :)

Haha nice work...yours truly might be riding the ®omeo next weekend if that's true...never ridden the Broadway tracks to 63rd :)

Thanks man! Yeah man, go for it. Last time I rode Broadway Via 63 St was on the (Q6) Train back in June 2001, 1 month before it became the (Q)(Qx). They were running Brooklyn Bound (Q6)'s from Queensbridge via 63 St / Broadway Express / Montague St / Brighton Express. It was cool dude.

Maybe you should READ this here..

All i will say is this..

T/O is NOT at Fault(hooray!!!):):D

This wont be a RTO Charge

Thats all i can say until the investigation is complete, a few departments are involved.

Perhaps?B)

OR.....

(Q) Express to 42 St

I guess, Im just that DAM GOOD! B)

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf_f/20_nno3.pdf

Archived