ride Metro North with TA pass?

myvalk

I think a NYCT train operator (TwoTimer, I think) said the LIRR wouldn't honor his pass. Don't know about Metro-North, but there is a Customer Service rep (Truckie) from MNRR on here and he could probably help you a lot more.

Not me, I'm in the Bronx i have no need for MNR/LIRR. I know of others that kinda "fall asleep" with the pass in plain view and the conductor just turn their head the other way when walking by.

I would like to hear from some transit workers upstate, that use their pass successfully riding down to the city on metro north?

I need to start taking the train.

thanx in advance.

As a semi regular on the Hudson line, I see alot of (MTA) employees in uniform especially those NYCTA/MTA Bus drivers stationed at Kingsbridge and West Farms(Marble Hill) 125th St(126th St depot) who board at Upper Hudson line stations such as Peekskill, Beacon and Poughkeepsie that the MNRR Conductors usually allow to ride with 'free' provided they had an valid (MTA) ID. I am sure Truckie can confirm this in more detail.

*waits for Truckie*

Ha ha ha. Wait no more.

First off let me say I am not a conductor. I do know the rules clearly state that only those with Metro North passes are allowed to ride, not LIRR, not NYC Transit, cops, firemen, etc.

Now for my observations. There are times I see conductors letting transit workers ride and there are times that I've seen conductors make them pay. The latter could be because there are spotters or other management on the train but I don't know for sure.

I can't tell you what to do but I will say that if you attempt to ride you may want to have a ticket in hand just in case and not push the issue with the conductor. I don't know many conductors that would be willing to lose their job because they let someone ride for free.

I've been on Acela- Regional -MNRR Septa all Free but LIRR is 50-50 due to Conductors getting in Trouble as of late so I don't push it but I also DO NOT want anyone getting in Trouble .

I do hate that I can go to Maryland Free on the Acela but our own Station Clerks wanna act RETARTED when it comes to our pass .....So hey I got 2words for ya'll that wanna play that game...........SUCK IT cuz I'm getting in Anyway and ain't shi that ya'll can do about it

How do MTA employees ride the Select Bus? Do you have to have a reciept like everyone else or can you just show your pass to a fare inspector?

They must get a receipt, if not and the fare inspectors see you, they will give you a hard time. This happened to a friend of mine, it's dumb but thats the way they want it.

My guess is that they want to keep track of where those passes get swiped, be it a turnstile, bus, or select bus in case they want to look into your whereabouts.

There is also the case of whether or not you need to provide your pass number if asked for it by a customer that observed you flashing it on a bus and is wondering why you got a free ride - which you're technically not supposed to do.

If I am not mistaken, holders of monthly tickets simply flash them to the trainmen as they collect tickets. So how would a spotter know if the passenger was discreetly showing a pass or a monthly ticket? They don't hover over the trainman's shoulder....

Of course, if the person trying for a free ride is in uniform, that in itself would draw attention....

I've been on Acela- Regional -MNRR Septa all Free but LIRR is 50-50 due to Conductors getting in Trouble as of late so I don't push it but I also DO NOT want anyone getting in Trouble .

I do hate that I can go to Maryland Free on the Acela but our own Station Clerks wanna act RETARTED when it comes to our pass .....So hey I got 2words for ya'll that wanna play that game...........SUCK IT cuz I'm getting in Anyway and ain't shi that ya'll can do about it

You were able to ride the Acela for free? Really? Why would they let an MTA employee ride for free though? Did you buy a ticket before you boarded?

If I am not mistaken, holders of monthly tickets simply flash them to the trainmen as they collect tickets. So how would a spotter know if the passenger was discreetly showing a pass or a monthly ticket? They don't hover over the trainman's shoulder....

Of course, if the person trying for a free ride is in uniform, that in itself would draw attention....

You are correct in that people with commutations simply show it to the conductor or trainman. While a spotter won't see each and every transaction, they can detect more than you think.

And yes, a transit worker in uniform will draw attention.

They must get a receipt, if not and the fare inspectors see you, they will give you a hard time. This happened to a friend of mine, it's dumb but thats the way they want it.

yea thats what i've heard also......and also on LIRR a guy i work with sometimes buys a child's ticket and he says its 50/50 with conductors....sometimes they make him pay, sometimes they let him go

Archived