The Logo Thread

RTS CNG Command

Logos.

The little emblem/symbol on almost every big company or corporation out there. Sometimes they stick. Sometimes they change.

Yet, no matter what happens, the purpose of a logo is this: to relay their brand personality with as little information as possible. This is what makes logo design such a difficult art form to master and why I love it so much. Piling in information after information can make the logo appear convoluted and messy. Simplicity is key when making a great logo. Millions of dollars are poured to make a logo or any kind of signature (the combination of elements to make one recognizable identity, such as the wordmark and its symbol/trademark). Color palette, type choice, angles, manipulation of concept, and signature position all MATTER when creating a fantastic logo.

This topic discusses logos, past, present, and future. Discuss logos you like, are neutral with, and be clear with your positioning why you're in favor with the logo or not. You can even announce changing of corporations' logos when they're announced and old logo prototypes.

I'll start it off by unveiling logos that I like a lot.

fedex_logo.jpg

The FedEx logo. It replaced the old one in 1994, and needless to say, it is SO much better. Now, what makes this logo so good? Take a look at the negative space between the "E" and "x."

northwest-airlines-logo.gif

This is the old logo for Northwest Airlines. At first glance, you think that this was a simple logo with a couple of symbols slapped on. Not true at ALL. What makes this logo spectacular are these:

1. The red outline represents the globe with the arrow pointing northwest.

2. You see the red oblique "N." That's all, isn't it? Nope, not at all.

3. Use the arrow and trace a thick line along the left and right sides. Connect the negative space around it with the "N." Once you connect it, you will notice a faint "W." Unfortunately, this logo was replaced not long ago.

Now it's your turn to discuss logos.

Canucks!

They've changed logos several times in their history, actually, more than any NHL team. My thoughts on each:

1970–78

500px-VancouverCanucks1970s.svg.png

This is the original logo of the Canucks and brings back nostalgia in any true Canucks fan. The classic colors of Blue, Green, and White are great choices depicting the Pacific Northwest's water, greenery, and snow-topped mountains. The stick and ice rink (theoretically) creates a big "C" though I never noticed it until someone pointed it out. While not my favorite logo, it is classic and its not a bad one.

1978–1997

500px-Canucks_Logo_1978_to_1997.svg.png

The "flying skate". One of the ugliest logos in all of the NHL when combined with the terrible yellow jerseies with it. See here:

25.jpg

It got a bit better when they decided to place the logo correctly on the front of the shirt. It just goes to show you what a difference placement and context can have.

472.jpg

Granted, its still hard to look at.

1997–2007

500px-Vancouver_Canucks_logo_%281998%E2%80%932007%29.svg.png

After the Canucks were bought by Orca Bay (the Canucks' parent company) they changed the logo. It has been criticized for being a blatant corporate advertisement with the killer whale in First Nations style. However, it is an effective logo to say the least. The "aggressive" whale and broken ice combined with a stylized "C" make it for an impressive logo. Note too the complete change of color scheme. Blues, Maroons, and Silvers dominate.

2007-Present

500px-Vancouver_Canucks_Home_Logo.svg.png

In 2007 the team changed the color scheme back to the original tri-color to celebrate the team's history (I think). This color scheme, I believe, is far more effective than the old one. The white "ice" is nice to see. Also, the team brought back the old logo from the 70s in a slightly modified form for the alternate jersey:

VancouverCanucksStickNew.png

Overall, I think the current logos are the best ones, if only for combining the old and new very effectively.

Canucks!

They've changed logos several times in their history, actually, more than any NHL team. My thoughts on each:

*snip*

I definitely agree with you. I think the current Blue, gray, and white "C" canuck and alternate "C" are definitely their best logos. When I see the blue, gray, and white main logo, I think of "ice." The shark breaking it through signals "aggression." The blue, green, and white definitely symbolize the western Canadian paradise to me, yet the angular hockey stick makes it feel natural.

As for the flying skate, it's good in terms of design. The angular feel makes the logo feel more organic. The slicing of the boot tells me that the player is furiously skating. And the "C" wrapping around the white indicates the shape of the rink. However, its color scheme is dreadful. It does NOT yell Vancouver hockey; the yellow deters it even more. The red and brown work well for hockey if the team was in Phoenix or New Mexico, but not western Canada. If the scheme was altered to green, blue, white, and gray, it might've been much more successful.

@Rick: Your links lead to 403 errors.
I think I know the Domino's logo. What he's talking about is the Citi Field logo, which is effective in design, but AWFUL in color transition. And the way the logo's position reminds people of Domino's Pizza.

Case in point:

citi-field-logo.jpg

ept_sports_mlb_experts-176490620-1231791113.jpg?ymyjWrADzbk35Uu9

I thought this thread was fin to be about the icon-infinity.gif channel.....

----

anyway, it took years for me to figure out what the hell this was supposed to be:

50273_6049808115_6467_n.jpg

looking at the entire logo from right to left (or, looking right "at" it), it looks like a pacman character....

looking at the whitespace from left to right, you can see the outline of the hawk... the little half circle there, is an eyeball)

....but their new/current logo, is sick:

atlantahawks.jpg

anyway, it took years for me to figure out what the hell this was supposed to be:

50273_6049808115_6467_n.jpg

looking at the entire logo from right to left (or, looking right "at" it), it looks like a pacman character....

looking at the whitespace from left to right, you can see the outline of the hawk... the little half circle there, is an eyeball)

....but their new/current logo, is sick:

atlantahawks.jpg

Both logos are excellent. The current Hawks logo, IMO, is one of the best in the NBA right now. Nicely detailed, but not so much to where they become distracting.

Personally, though, ketchup color aside, I like that one the most. I actually see an interchange of the hawk in its logo. On one side, I see the hawk's face, while one the right, I see the hawk opening its beak. But, yes, I definitely see the Pac-Man resemblance, which is why I reckon the offices altered the logo.

Now, going to logo designers, one of my most favorites is Paul Rand. This late graphic designer's known for making hundreds of famous logos, such as the ABC channel, IBM, Westinghouse, Enron, and the old UPS logo.

Here are some of his examples:

paul_rand_logos.jpg

An absolute genius in designing logos.

Now, speaking of logos, I'm presenting two of my favorite TV logos:

nbc-peacock.gif

The NBC peacock. One of the most recognizable logos in the U.S. The second you see that symbol, you think of NBC. When I see it, I think of prestige, excellence, and pride. Like peacocks themselves, this logo is just absolutely beautiful.

cbs-logo.jpg

The CBS eye. Standing for eye-catching TV, it hasn't changed much over the years. Its signature's altered (the typography going from inside the eye to on its side to altering the type to a sans serif), but the logo has stayed the same.

Edited links...

1962-1998

1999-Present

Alt. Logo 1999-Present

Hope these links work, they're not direct to the picture, I think that was the problem.

The real problem was that you hyperlinked the pictures of the logos directly; the website forbade the option.

Now to present more logos:

7.jpg

The Diamond Bookstore. The clue's right there: pages of gray to greate the shape of a diamond. Combine that with the typeface, and you got a very cute lock-up. :(

30.jpg

Coffee Cup. Great color with even better type treatment. Curly type to represent steam's excellent. The placement's even more clever: the f's are above the cup. Very well-done.

And just for the sake of humor:

17.jpg

The Anti-Social Network. Simply genius use of the gesture. One of the funniest logos I've spotted. :P

Archived