Something That Caught My Eye

Cait Sith

It means that there is a button there that you use to signal the tower so they know what train is at that station and where it is going. I you were the T/O of an (F) train, you hit the signal once. If you were the T/O of a (:D train to 2nd Ave, hit the signal 3 times. X14B is a Homeball signal that is in the tunnel and can't be seen while in the station. Also the "What you punch is what you get" is out side of the tower at 50-47th Street on the 6th Ave line, it is an automatic tower so if you punch at the punch box (route selection box) for the wrong route you are stuck with it.

Let me try to break this down for you:

1. At most stations before a major junction (i.e, 71 Avenue on the Queens Blvd line), there is this device called a "punch box". The train operator has to push a button to signal the tower for which train it is. The buttons are labeled for each specific route (i.e one button would be for the express, another one would be for the local, one for the yard/ layup, and one to cancel)

2. The picture was taken at the southbound platform at 14 Street and 6 Avenue. So if a (:D or (D) train was rerouted to the local track, then it would stop at 14 Street. The train operator would have to press the button twice and proceed to the signal with X14B on the bottom. With junction signals, there are two signals, one on top of the other. When the bottom is green, then that means proceed on the straight track. When the bottom is yellow, then proceed on the DIVERGING track. So since the (:D and (D) trains need to switch to the express track at X14B, the bottom should be YELLOW instead of green. That is also known as a lineup, which is why you hear the conductor asking the t/o if he has the lineup when leaving a terminal.

3. Since the (F) stays on the local track after 14 Street, X14B needs to be bottom GREEN.

4. I don't recall the (B) ever going to 2 Avenue, so I guess the sign actually refers to the (V). The (V) stays on the local track, but goes to another track at 2 Avenue to terminate. There is probably another punch box at Broadway- Layfayette if the lineup is not correct by the time the (V) reaches Broadway- Layfayette

Let me try to break this down for you:

1. At most stations before a major junction (i.e, 71 Avenue on the Queens Blvd line), there is this device called a "punch box". The train operator has to push a button to signal the tower for which train it is. The buttons are labeled for each specific route (i.e one button would be for the express, another one would be for the local, one for the yard/ layup, and one to cancel)

2. The picture was taken at the southbound platform at 14 Street and 6 Avenue. So if a (B) or (D) train was rerouted to the local track, then it would stop at 14 Street. The train operator would have to press the button twice and proceed to the signal with X14B on the bottom. With junction signals, there are two signals, one on top of the other. When the bottom is green, then that means proceed on the straight track. When the bottom is yellow, then proceed on the DIVERGING track. So since the (B) and (D) trains need to switch to the express track at X14B, the bottom should be YELLOW instead of green. That is also known as a lineup, which is why you hear the conductor asking the t/o if he has the lineup when leaving a terminal.

3. Since the (F) stays on the local track after 14 Street, X14B needs to be bottom GREEN.

4. I don't recall the (B) ever going to 2 Avenue, so I guess the sign actually refers to the (V). The (V) stays on the local track, but goes to another track at 2 Avenue to terminate. There is probably another punch box at Broadway- Layfayette if the lineup is not correct by the time the (V) reaches Broadway- Layfayette

They Only time that Push box at 14th and 6th ave is used is when there are G.O's in effect or re-routes due to train service being jacked up..

Even if you "punch" West 4th tower isnt giving you the line-up until you verbally indetify your train on the radio with the correct call letters.

I know what it means and i know what its used for. I just posted it cause it was not updated, and quite interesting as well. I'm going to look for more of these signs.

You wont find too many find signs like that...

Maybe one or two..

There are push boxes around though some close to the platfrom some only we (Train Operators) can reach.

Archived