If you were to improve New Jersey Transit how would you do it?

qjtransitmaster

How much do they give you to start your shift? Also, certain routes don't need MCI's. (320 is one)

What do you mean Amtrak 7? They usually reccomend that we bring change on the bus to give passengers who have large bills, if that is what you mean?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much do they give you to start your shift? Also, certain routes don't need MCI's. (320 is one)

If the planning analyst uses my proposal then MCIs will be needed on the 320!!!!! plus ppl at park and ride wont welcome a bus change!!!! 320 should be extended into a regional rte serving NW NJ with different legs replacing segments of a few 8xx rtes and eliminating shuttles

o.O Don't Need it?!?!?!

Dude, you haven't been on the 320 when it's SUPER BUSY: Tourists coming in from the airport with TONS of luggage. MCI's are GREATLY needed. You can't bring that stuff in the bus. Then where is everyone gonna sit? You can't block the isle with it. The 320 NEEDS MCI's like humans needs water and air to LIVE. Hell, when the NYC Marathon is here, I'm glad I have a MCI. These out of town people take their whole damn duffel bag to NY and go EVERYWHERE with it. I need that bus. You got shoppers that wanna go to the Wal-Mart from NYC and they bring back TONS of shit.

Trust me, the 320 NEEDS a MCI.

But, I'm gonna be fair. Why do you think that the 320 doesn't need a MCI and what does it need, in your honest opinion?

If the planning analyst uses my proposal then MCIs will be needed on the 320!!!!! plus ppl at park and ride wont welcome a bus change!!!! 320 should be extended into a regional rte serving NW NJ with different legs replacing segments of a few 8xx rtes and eliminating shuttles

That'll never ever happen. The 320 is a line that should stay the way it is. You have a TON of people going TO NYC and a ton of people back from NYC on a DAILY basis.

The P/R alone carries 40-50 passengers a pop going back to NY during the rush. The rest is for Harmon Meadow & Mill Creek shopping center. Even at 1am during the summer, the line is BUSY and FULL. Hell, Meadowlands, when needed, bring out extra buses to cover the load of people when it gets super busy!

If you wanna have a route that carries over to the 800 lines, make a line that starts in NY and proceeds to that area with no stops in between. Keep it that way. All these stops in between won't help the 320. It'll hurt it severely.

Hey, what do you mean by the bribery issues with manufacturers. A lot of our operators complain about the NABI's. My garage has all MCI's and I agree with you about the cash. The 186 can be pretty heavy and I reported into my garage one evening with about 556 dollars. That is the most I ever had, lol!!!!

$556, eh? I figured you guys in Oradell would have bigger money coming in from the 160's (Especially 163 with GSP, 165 with Hackensack, 166 Dumont/Tenafly, and 167 Harrington Park/Teaneck)

Try the 320. Runs 1, 2, and 3 brings in (Weekdays) between $900 - $2,000 A DAY. Any less, then someone things that the driver is taking some $$$ for himself.

Try the 319. If Toms River P/R is closed, you better have change or you're gonna be ******. Everyone comes on that bus with $20's getting to NY. And since there isn't a TVM at Toms River (I don't know why not...there should be when no one is in the office.....dumbasses), you're in trouble. I did a 319 trip leaving AC, heading to NY. When I got to Toms River, I had 40 passengers wanting to get to NY. The booth was closed for holiday. At the time, 18 to 1 was $15.50. Times 40: $620. I made damn sure I had plenty of $5's, $1's, and Quarters.

Try the 351. $6 to get back to NY. People getting on the bus that wasn't in the bus originally getting to the Meadowlands. They got dropped off. I had a full bus of people wanting to pay and I was the dude that took them. 72 passengers. Out of the 72, about 50 paid cash. $300 right there. By the end of the day, I brought in about $700 or $800 from a Jets game.

$556, eh? I figured you guys in Oradell would have bigger money coming in from the 160's (Especially 163 with GSP, 165 with Hackensack, 166 Dumont/Tenafly, and 167 Harrington Park/Teaneck)

Try the 320. Runs 1, 2, and 3 brings in (Weekdays) between $900 - $2,000 A DAY. Any less, then someone things that the driver is taking some $$$ for himself.

Try the 319. If Toms River P/R is closed, you better have change or you're gonna be ******. Everyone comes on that bus with $20's getting to NY. And since there isn't a TVM at Toms River (I don't know why not...there should be when no one is in the office.....dumbasses), you're in trouble. I did a 319 trip leaving AC, heading to NY. When I got to Toms River, I had 40 passengers wanting to get to NY. The booth was closed for holiday. At the time, 18 to 1 was $15.50. Times 40: $620. I made damn sure I had plenty of $5's, $1's, and Quarters.

Try the 351. $6 to get back to NY. People getting on the bus that wasn't in the bus originally getting to the Meadowlands. They got dropped off. I had a full bus of people wanting to pay and I was the dude that took them. 72 passengers. Out of the 72, about 50 paid cash. $300 right there. By the end of the day, I brought in about $700 or $800 from a Jets game.

Oh dayum!!!! I don't doubt it one bit. How many zones are the routes that you mention???? I did run out of change several times doing run # 4 on the 186 on a Saturday and they don't make it mandatory that passengers board with a tixx @ the GWB!!!!

Oh dayum!!!! I don't doubt it one bit. How many zones are the routes that you mention???? I did run out of change several times doing run # 4 on the 186 on a Saturday and they don't make it mandatory that passengers board with a tixx @ the GWB!!!!

319:

NY to Toms River: 18

Ny to Atlantic City: 31

NY to Ocean City: 32

NY to Wildwood: 37

NY to Cape May:39

320:

NY to P/R: 2 zone Special Fare

NY to Secaucus Harmon Meadow: 3 zone special fare

Orion Buses drive like butter. I wish the deal went threw. I have heard fellow operators from other garages complain that the NABI's are too low in the front, meaning you have to bend over to operate certain function switches and that they are too slow acceleration wise in comparison to the MCI's. They are beautiful buses, though. I wish my garage had them.

well, some of the NABI's have different engine packages. 5201 to 5349 uses a Cat Engine, which is faster than the rest of the fleet. 5350 on uses the Cummins engine. The acceleration on the CAT buses are better than the Cummins engine. I had the pleasure to drive the CAT and I enjoyed them.

Some do complain that the fare box is further away from the operator instead of closer to them, similar to the MCI's and Nova's. I agree with that assessment as well. The box would be low to the ground and farther than where I needed to be. I had to stretch and it wasn't fun at times.

well, some of the NABI's have different engine packages. 5201 to 5349 uses a Cat Engine, which is faster than the rest of the fleet. 5350 on uses the Cummins engine. The acceleration on the CAT buses are better than the Cummins engine. I had the pleasure to drive the CAT and I enjoyed them.

I was talking to a Meadowlands B/O on the 129 yesterday. They don't seem too happy w/the NABIs. He was saying that when they first got the NABIs that they use to stall out so (NJT) turned up the idle, so now you really have to stand on the brake pedal to get them to stay stopped. I guess it doesn't make 15 trips on the 126 an enjoyable experience.

And I totally agree with you guys on the farebox issue....it's dangerous to be holding that amount of cash. But looking at how (NJT)'s MCIs are set up, I don't see how you can fit a farebox in, other transit MCIs have this notch in the dashboard area so the farebox is not so much in the way, (NJT)'s MCIs don't. That the only thing I don't like about the operation at NJT is messing with money like that....I see some guys leave their money bags on the dash, that seems very dangerous,but they know their clientele better than me.

Oh and I got you guys beat: $1225 take in on a 2 round trips Woods Hole to Boston July 4 weekend!:eek:

What do you mean Amtrak 7? They usually reccomend that we bring change on the bus to give passengers who have large bills, if that is what you mean?

Don't they give you some money to start in order to give change?

As for the 320, it seems to be a very short route. The best solution would be standard buses or artics with more frequent service if needed.

I was talking to a Meadowlands B/O on the 129 yesterday. They don't seem too happy w/the NABIs. He was saying that when they first got the NABIs that they use to stall out so (NJT) turned up the idle, so now you really have to stand on the brake pedal to get them to stay stopped. I guess it doesn't make 15 trips on the 126 an enjoyable experience.

And I totally agree with you guys on the farebox issue....it's dangerous to be holding that amount of cash. But looking at how (NJT)'s MCIs are set up, I don't see how you can fit a farebox in, other transit MCIs have this notch in the dashboard area so the farebox is not so much in the way, (NJT)'s MCIs don't. That the only thing I don't like about the operation at NJT is messing with money like that....I see some guys leave their money bags on the dash, that seems very dangerous,but they know their clientele better than me.

Oh and I got you guys beat: $1225 take in on a 2 round trips Woods Hole to Boston July 4 weekend!:eek:

Weird. I had 5298 one time when I did 12/126 because Greenville didn't have any spare drivers. I never had a problem. If anything, I had fun working that day.

As for the 320, it seems to be a very short route. The best solution would be standard buses or artics with more frequent service if needed.

really how frequent should 320 be??? throughout the day??? Plus 320 should be extended to morris with 4 variants replacing segments of several morris and warren bus lines

The bus is very frequent, especially during the rush hour with buses leaving PABT every 4 to 6 minutes. That's one of the reasons why the bus is in gate 231 because of the crowd and if a bus breaks down, it might take a while, and you don't want ppl waiting in the escalator - a la 126.

That bus will take 72 passengers with 50 to all of them getting off at the P/R. Artics might be useful but 45's are better. You can fit 3 45's in Gate 231. You can't fit 3 60's in that gate. Leave it the way it is. Trust me on that. I love that line and know the ins and outs of it.

BTW - Amtrak, NJT doesn't give the drivers money before they go on their shifts. We're required to have sufficient change. Whenever I did the 319, 320, 351, and 353 - I always tried to have at least $50 in singles and 5's and $25 in coins, especially on the 320. Lots of tourists want Round Trip tickets, and pay in $20's. Some drivers have to stop at the garage to get change at times. That's how busy it can get.

If you talking like regular lines like the 160's, 180's, etc: Depending on what time, I either bring a full change carrier and $30 in singles or $20 in singles and a half full carrier. If it was a AM rush, I better have change since people want to go to NY and request Round Trip tickets.

Archived