If you were to improve New Jersey Transit how would you do it?

qjtransitmaster

Ok many of you havent said much about NJ but I am curious how would you improve service throughout New jersey?? which routes would recieve service enhancements and to what service frequency?? which rtes will get restructured and extended and to where I want to know ur thoughts. Submit proposals please.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bus:

-Take over all privately operated local routes.

-Expand service into Warren, Hunterdon, Sussex counties

-Increase 1 zone intrastate fare to $1.75 or $2 (currently $1.50)

-Decrease 2 zone interstate fare to $2.50 (currently $3.20)

-Clock face more schedules

-Publish an official bus map

-Operate more 67X/319 Newark trips

Rail:

-Build new Hudson River Tunnel

-Lackawanna Cutoff

-Electrify to Bay Head, Suffern, Lake Hopatcong

-Build Secaucus Loop

-Retire all but 60 Arrows and all cars older than a Comet V, buy a new ML design that saves weight, ALP46A's, new diesels to replace everything older than F40.

-Bring back off peak round trip discount, not valid during peak hours in either direction, nor weekends arriving NYC before 1PM/leaving NYC after 2PM.

Light rail:

-Double track River LINE

-HBLR to Staten Island

Hybrid MCIs would cost too much to maintain. NJT hardly runs 4004-4007 now. They are only limited to rush hour service.

As for the 67X/319 Newark, the demand isnt there for full service there on those 2 routes.

One thing I would love NJT to do and thats to have a base fare and invest in a metrocard type deal, but we all know the way the fare works with NJT, that will never happen. It does get annoying counting money.

in hudson county the 87 80 81 and the 6 has the smart card thing but idk if its set up working yet

Im talking about a State Wide deal here. Although It would be a good idea, they would lose a ton of money. Those routes you mentioned don't travel 11+ zones and up to 31 zones. It could work on routes that don't travel more then 3 zones.

On the full service routes, do they give you a "cash box" with change for customers?

Yupp. The paper money, most drivers keep it in our pockets or in the white envelopes we use when we hand it in at the end of our shifts.

Those routes you mentioned don't travel 11+ zones and up to 31 zones. It could work on routes that don't travel more then 3 zones.

39 zones! That sounds scary, but the Cape May trips are 39 separate zones, I believe.

Im talking about a State Wide deal here. Although It would be a good idea, they would lose a ton of money. Those routes you mentioned don't travel 11+ zones and up to 31 zones. It could work on routes that don't travel more then 3 zones.

O ok nah 80 6 are 1 zones and 87 and 81 are 2 zones

One thing off the top of my head to improve, overnight service on the NEC and NJCL at the least.

in hudson county the 87 80 81 and the 6 has the smart card thing but idk if its set up working yet

It's not a smart card, it's the passenger using their credit card if it has Blink technology, such as Mastercard Pay Pass. I've used it a few times when I don't have change.

A smart card is in the works so those readers can be used for it.

O ok nah 80 6 are 1 zones and 87 and 81 are 2 zones
The regular 87 is all one zone. However, the overnight 83/87 service is two zones.

One thing off the top of my head to improve, overnight service on the NEC and NJCL at the least.

NEC yes, NJCL not really. I can't get to Philly before 9AM on a Saturday, it should really be possible to get there at 6AM. Hourly/90 minute local trains overnight are a good idea.

I would like to see more frequent service, as the express buses can be rather crowded. I would also like them to do away with those friggin' zone thingys. It's really annoying trying to get a ticket and trying to figure out which zone you fall in if you're familiar with the route. Other than that I don't have any complaints. Overall the service is reliable. I think I've only used the local bus once because I couldn't figure out how how to get to the Short Hills Mall via the train or the express bus. Perhaps the (MTA) could take a page from NJT. :tup:

Ok, this is my view and opinions based on being a former driver at the garage.

One: NO MORE CASH FARES ON MONEY LINE BUSES! I can't say that enough. Get a damn fare box on the money lines before a driver gets killed or seriously injured. I thank God that I never had a incident where I thought my life might be at risk because I'm doing a money line, especially at nighttime. You don't know who gets on your bus. There are lines, like the 320, that drivers bring in between $1,500 to $3,000 on a straight morning shift run, and that's all due to not being in time to get a round trip ticket at the Park & Ride as well as tourists at Harmon Meadow. It'll take one person to cause a incident of great significant before NJT does anything. So, NJT needs to do it NOW before someone does get killed. Farebox, Tickets, or Passes. Otherwise, sorry Charlie. I'm 400 miles away now yet I still hear what's going on with my friends back at NJT and the last thing I need to hear is someone getting killed because some dude was robbing him for all the money he had in his pocket and change carrier.

Two: Personal Days for employees: Let's face it, the drivers have lives and unexpected events happen. It sucks that NJT Drivers don't have Personal days, which other companies like Academy and Coach does have. Let's have some personal days for ALL drivers, P/T and F/T.

Three: Eliminate the 30 hour Limit rules for P/T: This rule about P/T only having 30 hours max per week is bullshit, especially when garages overbook vacation days and now calling other drivers from different garages to work pieces. No limit for P/T Drivers. Depot Masters knows who want to work and who just want to get by. Those that want to will will profit big since they'll start to know what the F/T's make (Minus Full Rate Pay). More P/T's will be happy with their checks.

Four: Have NJT Officials ride buses for a week to see all bus lines that have problems with overcrowding, just so they WILL increase service. Recently, the 85 was increased on Saturdays due to overcrowding. About damn time. I'm tired of loading up 130 people for one trip, ONE WAY to Harmon Meadow, and leaving passengers behind. Then I have to go to the Garage Supervisor and explain why. Add more buses to lines that need it: 83, 84, 85, 128, 165, 166, 167, 190, 11, 28, 25, 1, 70, and I can list more but I'll have no room. And this is based on what I have seen when I drove that route or was a passenger.

Five: NABI's should be reprogrammed: Only announce major transfer points at all times and ONLY, and I mean ONLY announce individual bus stops ONLY when a person press the stop request button. If a person doesn't know a specific stop, they can always ask the operator. Simple. Less annoying. No more (SHUT THAT ******* COMPUTER UP, IM TRYING TO SLEEP) complaints on the bus.

Six: Someone mentioned that there should be a variety of different buses instead of just NABI, Nova, Flxible, and MCI: Sadly, NJT screwed itself years ago with bribery issues with another manufacturer, thus it's amazing that NABI came on board with NJT. The point is, NJT needs to make peace about what happen, accept the mistakes they did, and then other companies like Orion, DesignLine, VanHool, Prevost, Gillig, and others would at least attempt to communicate with NJT about possible new bus orders, especially with the aging MCI fleet.

Seven: NO MORE CNG BUSES! Forget this going natural shit, this is NJ. People really don't care. All they want is to get to and from their destination safe and fast. As long as the bus pass the emissions test by NJ's DMV, then it's all good to go.

Eight: NJT's presence in both Port Authority Hubs at 42nd and 178th Street is present. They need to have better facilities for the drivers when it relates to drivers using the facilities and having a place to rest for their break before going back on the road, and having better places to park the bus without getting in traffic. Also, at 42nd Street, rearrange the Gates: I can't tell how many times someone uses Gate 230 on the 127, including me, that someone nearly causes an accident, because of the tightness of that gate. That gate should be either removed or widen at least 24 inches for safe entry for all buses.

Nine: NJT needs to step up enforcement with local law enforcement with bus stops. I'm not comfortable dropping someone off on the street because an ******* parked their car on the stop. Tow those cars off the stop and fine those people at least $1,000. I'm a passenger too. I like to have the bus to get me on and off safely without fear of a car hitting me or read ending the bus because the bus can't get in the stop due to a moron blocking the stop.

Ten: Driver Guards: Again, with the money and people acting like idiots, there should be driver guards in the cockpit area for drivers to feel more safe when inside the bus. I'm sorry to say this but the last thing anyone wants to hear is another bus operator killed like the MTA driver that was killed 2 years ago at Christmas time.

You can't change the fares because that's Christie's fault as well as rising gas prices: Not NJT's fault.

319 trips out of Newark is not popular except for NJT employees. Unless there's a demand for it, it's not gonna happen.

I like the idea of a official bus map, but it'll be rather complex with over 300 bus routes in the system. I would say make a bus book but that'll be rather difficult and expensive since at least 10-20 lines has a new timetable every pick (3-4 months).

And to the decrease the interstate fare: The interstate fare also costs the fee of crossing the GWB, Lincoln, Holland, or into Philadelphia. NJT pays for that with their ezpass system. If NJT didn't add the extra 70 or 80 cents for crossing into NY/Philadelphia, NJT would have serious financial issues after the $400 mill they lost and rising fuel prices. They still gotta pay for the NABI's too as well as the new technology they're getting in, like the new WayFarer fare machines.

These are my views and these are from my experiences as a operator and as a passenger.

Bus:

-Take over all privately operated local routes.

-Expand service into Warren, Hunterdon, Sussex counties

-Increase 1 zone intrastate fare to $1.75 or $2 (currently $1.50)

-Decrease 2 zone interstate fare to $2.50 (currently $3.20)

-Clock face more schedules

-Publish an official bus map

-Operate more 67X/319 Newark trips

Rail:

-Build new Hudson River Tunnel

-Lackawanna Cutoff

-Electrify to Bay Head, Suffern, Lake Hopatcong

-Build Secaucus Loop

-Retire all but 60 Arrows and all cars older than a Comet V, buy a new ML design that saves weight, ALP46A's, new diesels to replace everything older than F40.

-Bring back off peak round trip discount, not valid during peak hours in either direction, nor weekends arriving NYC before 1PM/leaving NYC after 2PM.

Light rail:

-Double track River LINE

-HBLR to Staten Island

most of the rail stuff is already being done and I did actually write a proposal about enhancing service in the very counties mentioned but arent the private operators except pabco able to provide the service at a lower price??? I told the board during the 2010 meetings about how they can indirectly takeover the routes. however which rtes in hunterdon,sussex and warren do you want to see??? I want to compare it to my proposal but my proposal is multifaced and links over with hudson valley and my other plans. I wont mention hudson valley yet but NJT soon

One: NO MORE CASH FARES ON MONEY LINE BUSES! I can't say that enough. Get a damn fare box on the money lines before a driver gets killed or seriously injured.

I like the idea of a official bus map, but it'll be rather complex with over 300 bus routes in the system. I would say make a bus book but that'll be rather difficult and expensive since at least 10-20 lines has a new timetable every pick (3-4 months).

My idea for the official bus map would be split up by county.

As for getting rid of full service routes, I disagree that they should be eliminated, but the number of routes should significantly be reduced. If the maximum possible fare on the route is more than $10, the route should be full service rush hours only. Off peak, only the long distance routes (313/315, 319, 551, 553, 317) need be full service, and drivers shouldn't take $20 bills except for 319.

As for getting rid of full service routes, I disagree that they should be eliminated, but the number of routes should significantly be reduced. If the maximum possible fare on the route is more than $10, the route should be full service rush hours only. Off peak, only the long distance routes (313/315, 319, 551, 553, 317) need be full service, and drivers shouldn't take $20 bills except for 319.

the counties actually make bus maps

the counties actually make bus maps

Really? I know Ocean does, and Mercer used to (2006). But I thought that was it?!?!? Of course I am aware of the unofficial njbusmap.com, but it would be nice to have an official one.

Really? I know Ocean does, and Mercer used to (2006). But I thought that was it?!?!? Of course I am aware of the unofficial njbusmap.com, but it would be nice to have an official one.

middlesex and the 2008 burlington/camden one and monmouth used to. also what bus rtes should be made for hunterdon,warren and sussex

No no no, I'm not talking about getting rid of the route. Keep the route but eliminate paying for the fare and getting change back. All MCI's should have a farebox similar to the Nova's and NABI's before someone gets killed.

No no no, I'm not talking about getting rid of the route. Keep the route but eliminate paying for the fare and getting change back. All MCI's should have a farebox similar to the Nova's and NABI's before someone gets killed.

I don't mean getting rid of the route either, I mean getting rid of the change. MCI's don't have fareboxes? They should, but that doesn't mean that all routes should stop giving change.

If NJT drastically simplifies the fare policy, getting away with exact fare may work on all but the 319.

I don't mean getting rid of the route either, I mean getting rid of the change. MCI's don't have fareboxes? They should, but that doesn't mean that all routes should stop giving change.

If NJT drastically simplifies the fare policy, getting away with exact fare may work on all but the 319.

Our MCIs dont have fareboxes. Only the Nova's & NABI's. Fareboxes are safer and just not having to carry all that money. Giving change is dangerous and you dont know which person could turn crazy and try to kill you for the money. On the 553 we only take tickets at the ACBT and VTC. Alot of people that ride the 553 have a monthly pass. Routes like the 139 I seen drivers take 20s and even on the 190. I dont take 20s because it cleans out the low bills i need to give change. But all in all its not safe. And NJT is not going to do anything untill a driver gets seriously hurt or killed.

Create bus only tube next to Lincoln Tunnel and Holland Tunnel to speed bus service for New Jersey Transit, and other buses that use tunnel.

I also will create Official New Jersey Transit Bus Maps, including Academy Bus, Coach USA, Lakeland, DeCamp, Carefree Tour, Burtlink Buses, A&C Bus Corporation, Express Bus, (NYCT) S89, SEPTA buses, along with lightrails, along with New York Waterway's ferry shuttle bus in New Jersey.

I will also create New Jersey Transit official booklet to include all of this.

I would like to see more frequent service, as the express buses can be rather crowded. I would also like them to do away with those friggin' zone thingys. It's really annoying trying to get a ticket and trying to figure out which zone you fall in if you're familiar with the route. Other than that I don't have any complaints. Overall the service is reliable. I think I've only used the local bus once because I couldn't figure out how how to get to the Short Hills Mall via the train or the express bus. Perhaps the (MTA) could take a page from NJT. :tup:

The point of the zone system is to make sure that people pay close to what the actual costs of transporting them are. You have routes that go pretty far out: To Freehold, Atlantic City, etc.

What would do is try to reduce the number of zones. They could do something like this:

A trip within the same county: $1.50

Express routes going to NYC or Philadelphia: $4.00 initial fare plus $2 for every county boundary crossed.

Intra-NJ routes: $1.50 plus $1 for every county boundary crossed.

Archived