Thermometer stickers?

noslenpar

You mean the AC units. All cars have AC at the roof of the car but only the NTTs have roof-mounted HVAC.

Not all cars have HVAC mounted on the roofs. Cars like the R62 and the R68 have them in the undercarriage.

Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning System. That's what HVAC stands for.

• 1 month later...

NOT SO COOL KIDS are some radical environmental emotional fashion head group. They use subversive icons and logos. if you ask me, its pretty slick but overtlyy done advertising.

I asked an MTA worker and he said that they caught one of their MTA workers putting up the stickers. I heard its a felony.

I guess the NOT SO COOL KIDS had a mole in the MTA.

Props to the NOT SO COOL KIDS for being everywhere with little black thermometer stickers but not really being noticed.

NOT SO COOL KIDS are some radical environmental emotional fashion head group. They use subversive icons and logos. if you ask me, its pretty slick but overtlyy done advertising.

I asked an MTA worker and he said that they caught one of their MTA workers putting up the stickers. I heard its a felony.

I guess the NOT SO COOL KIDS had a mole in the MTA.

Props to the NOT SO COOL KIDS for being everywhere with little black thermometer stickers but not really being noticed.

???

The stickers are for the Road Car Inspector to point his laser temperature sensor at to test the temperature of the cars. The stickers are there to ensure that temperature readings from different cars are taken at the same location in the cars to make sure they can be held to the same standard.

???

The stickers are for the Road Car Inspector to point his laser temperature sensor at to test the temperature of the cars. The stickers are there to ensure that temperature readings from different cars are taken at the same location in the cars to make sure they can be held to the same standard.

The reason i know this is true, is because they are in precisely the same spot in each car. Also, The R40, and R40a (slants) have them on the end, and in the middle, and then on either end respectively.

- Andy

The reason i know this is true, is because they are in precisely the same spot in each car. Also, The R40, and R40a (slants) have them on the end, and in the middle, and then on either end respectively.

- Andy

That's because the RCI takes 3 readings per car...one at each point marked by a sticker.

That's because the RCI takes 3 readings per car...one at each point marked by a sticker.

No no, the stickers are only in the middle of the car, and at the slantie end of the car in the original R40, and on the R40a and m they are on slantie end, and opposite end.

- Andu

No no, the stickers are only in the middle of the car, and at the slantie end of the car in the original R40, and on the R40a and m they are on slantie end, and opposite end.

- Andu

must be just haven't gotten them in, or perhaps even someone's been peeling them. remember, those slants are "ocean parkway bound" soon if ya know what i mean so maybe they may not put em in there but thats just speculation on my part since i dont know the whole story behind that...Its true they take 3 readings per car though...The reason for this is so the RCI can tell if there's a big change in temperature from one area of the car to another which would indicate the AC / HVAC wasn't functioning properly.

must be just haven't gotten them in, or perhaps even someone's been peeling them. remember, those slants are "ocean parkway bound" soon if ya know what i mean so maybe they may not put em in there but thats just speculation on my part since i dont know the whole story behind that...Its true they take 3 readings per car though...The reason for this is so the RCI can tell if there's a big change in temperature from one area of the car to another which would indicate the AC / HVAC wasn't functioning properly.

The best way, technical readouts and thermometer sticker aside, is to just go in the car & see if it's a sweaty sauna or not! :cool:

- Andy

• 2 months later...

- Andu

There are 3 stickers in each car... center and 1 at each end of the car, closest to the AC blower fan

I was very fortunate to find out what these were a few weeks ago, when while on a Manhattan bound Q, an MTA worker in reflective vest came on board with a handheld scanner of some kind, pointed it at the sticker on the ceiling, and it beeped. :)

I stopped him and asked what they were, since I see them on buses as well, and he told me that they are temperature gauges to see that the A/C compressors are working. (I guess they work like those tumblers that change color when different temperature liquids are poured in)

If only mystery could be solved as easily.

Archived