Buying retired cars

Bonanza123d

Who steals a subway train? I could understand doing something similair to Pelham One Two Three where the train was hijacked and the passengers held for ransom, but steal a whole subway car? I don't think so. Unless you do this.

679px-FortheManWhoHasEverything.png

LMAO but that's true who steals a subway car.

If one were to get a subway car, say a set of R44s. The TA would give you a complete train. There are sets at CIY that are complete and if they were going to a museum, they would not be stripped and you would be able to get parts from the TA.
There's not much historical value about saving R44s (other than for being first 75' cars), but I believe the ones to go for are the SI R44s, being the last ever cars built by St. Louis Car (delivered 1/73-4/73), in better condition and lower production numbers.

There's not much historical value about saving R44s (other than for being first 75' cars), but I believe the ones to go for are the SI R44s, being the last ever cars built by St. Louis Car (delivered 1/73-4/73), in better condition and lower production numbers.

That's why I only used the R44s as an example since they are a car class that has been retired but not scrapped right away....

People are really obsessed with trains if you really think you can buy a train car and play in it in your backyard. Time to grow up and become interested in bigger and better realistic things.

Nuff said! Its really sad. Who would have thought it would get to that point.

A bus you can at least buy, unlike a train.

In the millions?

Nah, millions would be if you were to buy a full set. One car would be like above $65,000. The older it is, the cheaper it is.

If I had the cash, and the authority I would purchase that R16 from the 207th Street Yard, refurbish it, and if I still have the permission hook it up to the Train of Many Colors.

There is no R16 at 207th St.

From the MTA web site...

Surplus Material Sales

NYC Transit, the largest public transit system in the United States, sells a large inventory of surplus and used material each month. Among the items: computers, photocopiers, furniture, and heavy construction equipment. NYC Transit even offers railroad ties, bus and subway car parts, and entire buses and subway cars for sale.

I remember reading that many years ago, maybe coinciding with the opening of the permanent Transit Museum, that someone had bought an old redbird for something like $3,500... It was a ridiculously small amount considering what someone would probably pay for one now.

Logistics involved in actually taking the thing off the property would certainly push the limits of the average person's bank account, but it could theoretically be done.

Not sure if this is still the case, but the SI R44s were built to AAR/FRA standards. If this is still true, they may have an advantage for future buyers as they could operate on any standard gauge railroad in North America.

That's if where they want to run it has a 3rd rail, otherwise you'll need an engine to pull it around.

Archived